WSJ : WRX STi article

This is a discussion on WSJ : WRX STi article within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The 2015 model STi really is the shiiiiznit While the article is a great read and enlightened me to a ...

The 2015 model STi really is the shiiiiznit

While the article is a great read and enlightened me to a couple of things, some of the comments are are so anti Subaru...I wonder what crawled up their arses....maybe blown ringlands??? ;P

Subaru WRX STI Is a Fall Weather Friend - WSJ
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 09-15-2014 at 05:26 AM.

2015 WRX STi
    World Rally Blue

Smaug is his name and he has a friggin dragon wing.
    Boom Cannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Discussion of politics is beyond the scope of this sub forum.

I think WSJ requires signing in? Yet this article was available via your link. Anyway, I found it fair, and they did point out the wing is regrettable.

It'll be interesting to see what a 2,0L STi will be like. I'd also like to see electric motor assist of some kind. Great car as is though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what a 2,0L STi will be like.
    Do we know if this is happening for sure?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Discussion of politics is beyond the scope of this sub forum.
    thanks SD - edited original post

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I think that article was fair and balanced actually. The comment about the wing says occasionally regrettable or something like that. And I think some STi owners, me included, when they look in their rearview mirror have occasionally wished it wasn't there. But then you get outside and look at it and you're glad it is. So the article is correct. Heck that article makes the car out to be a great practical sports car. Which again is the main reason I got it.
    Last edited by grendels_wrx; 09-15-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

Yeah, I personally love the "dragon wing" as I call it to my friends and family. Sure, I am 37 and drive a car that looks like something out of a Transformers movie....and thats why I like it....it looks like it should for a car that drives like it does.

2015 WRX STi
    World Rally Blue

Smaug is his name and he has a friggin dragon wing.
    Boom Cannon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    Do we know if this is happening for sure?
    No. However I'm an optimist. I've been asking for a 1,6L STi with ultra low emissions, 300 HP, and 45 mpg for a long time. When they released the 2,5L I said it was a move in the wrong direction. Years later they seem to agree. So although nothing is set in stone I'm hoping a 2L is in the future soon -- en route to a 1,6L and eventually a 0L, no internal combustion STi. Hope dies last.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No. However I'm an optimist. I've been asking for a 1,6L STi with ultra low emissions, 300 HP, and 45 mpg for a long time. When they released the 2,5L I said it was a move in the wrong direction. Years later they seem to agree. So although nothing is set in stone I'm hoping a 2L is in the future soon -- en route to a 1,6L and eventually a 0L, no internal combustion STi. Hope dies last.
    I have to agree with this. In today's market engines need to be more powerful, more fuel efficient and have a smaller displacement.
    They seem to be on the right track with the new WRX engine, let's see where they take us now.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I have to agree with this. In today's market engines need to be more powerful, more fuel efficient and have a smaller displacement.
    They seem to be on the right track with the new WRX engine, let's see where they take us now.
    I'd also like to see modern technology applied to give us faster, cheaper and more reliable cars, but to say that engines "need" to be more powerful is not quite accurate. At some point in the future all cars will be GPS enabled (for example) and restricted to the speed limit for the road they are on. At that time power will be irrelevant for those not involved in recreational activities such as track racing. I find the possibility both calming and disturbing at the same time...

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I'd also like to see modern technology applied to give us faster, cheaper and more reliable cars, but to say that engines "need" to be more powerful is not quite accurate. At some point in the future all cars will be GPS enabled (for example) and restricted to the speed limit for the road they are on. At that time power will be irrelevant for those not involved in recreational activities such as track racing. I find the possibility both calming and disturbing at the same time...
    When that happens, I revert to 1960s-70s muscle cars. No electronics. And if the future cars all have that GPS. I give it a week till some 4th grader figures out how to disable it.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    I'd also like to see modern technology applied to give us faster, cheaper and more reliable cars, but to say that engines "need" to be more powerful is not quite accurate. At some point in the future all cars will be GPS enabled (for example) and restricted to the speed limit for the road they are on.
    I'll still want some power. "High speed" isn't really why I buy performance cars; it's more about the vehicles handling dynamics, and, to some extent, the fun of acceleration. Having throttle response and torque around to twist its tail is something I'll continue to want.
    Having said that, I agree with you in principle. My BRZ has enough power to rotate like crazy, because race car.

I still get confused when the newer folks on the forum talk about how they bought a WRX so that they could speed on the highway. The wife's minivan, and just about any modern econobox, will easily break 100. If someone (not talking to you, in particular, RL, I know that you know better! ) want to go a lot faster than that on public roads, they're kindof a dufus, anyway.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    My wife's SUV has more power and uses less fuel than my WRX. It's also more comfortable and reliable.

It's not as fun to drive though. However with WRX prices so high I wonder if people that liked the bugeye despite its flaws won't move more toward a BRZ or Miata until we finally get rid of internal combustion engines. If I didn't have a bunch of cars already I know I'd be tempted to decrease car size and car costs and make it more fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL, I moved towards a BRZ because I made the mistake of driving one around curvy roads...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon