Nice comparison article

This is a discussion on Nice comparison article within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; AutoGuide Under ,000 Performance Car Shootout » AutoGuide.com News...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool, I'll check this out this evening!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I found their statement alarming:

"The all-new MINI Cooper S is not in attendance as we could not gain approval to track test it."

Approval from whom?

From the maker? Are they embarrassed?

From the dealer? Are they embarrassed?

From the track? Are they worried it's unsafe?

From the insurer? Are they worried it's unsafe?

Conversly, what approvals were obtained for the cars that they were able to test? From whom? And, do those approvals imply the maker, or dealer, or track, or insurer, or whoever issued the approval is neither embarrassed nor worried about the safety of those cars?

What exactly is involved in getting an approval to test the car on their track, by whom do they need the approval, why, and what does the approval imply regarding the car?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think that Mini Cooper is sounding sketchy.
    I wonder if they have gone to VW Thing level of sketchy.
    Don't turn the Cooper into a Thing, come on now.
    I expect more from minis engineers.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I found their statement alarming:

"The all-new MINI Cooper S is not in attendance as we could not gain approval to track test it."

Approval from whom?

From the maker? Are they embarrassed?

From the dealer? Are they embarrassed?

From the track? Are they worried it's unsafe?

From the insurer? Are they worried it's unsafe?

Conversly, what approvals were obtained for the cars that they were able to test? From whom? And, do those approvals imply the maker, or dealer, or track, or insurer, or whoever issued the approval is neither embarrassed nor worried about the safety of those cars?

What exactly is involved in getting an approval to test the car on their track, by whom do they need the approval, why, and what does the approval imply regarding the car?
    Yeah, I'm curious as well. I took both the 2014 standard Mini and 2014 Cooper S out on test drives, and in both cases the dealer highly encouraged wringing the car out. They purposely guided me onto their favorite twisty mountain roads and continuously urged me to push the car harder, so I'm guessing this came from AutoGuide's/test track's end. I was never under the impression that Mini or their dealers were in any way embarrassed to push their cars hard.

That said, while the base Cooper S can be had around $24k, it's pretty easy to blow past $30k with the options list even if you're careful with the checkmarks. My brother just ordered a 2015 Cooper S with the 8" infotainment system, 17" wheels, headed seats, and LED headlights, for just under $28k. Add in the HK audio and moonroof, and you're at $30k. Add in the adjustable sport suspension, navigation, automatic parallel parking system, backup camera, and numerous other tech goodies, and it's into the $40k range. On one hand, it's neat that Mini offers such a deep level of customization when many car makers are moving toward "one size fits most" model tiers, but true to BMW form, the custom features don't come cheap.

As an anecdote, the dealer told me a story where a lady came in wondering how fast the new Cooper S could go. The salesman said, "If I hit 130mph on this onramp, will you buy the car?" She agreed, he made well in excess of the promised speed, and she bought one that afternoon. While car salesmen aren't known for their honesty, judging from his knowledge of the mechanics of the car (which were extensive, and left me very impressed actually) I'm inclined to believe him. He even persuaded my brother NOT to get a couple options, since he didn't feel they would be beneficial to my brother's needs/driving style.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Seemed a little bland to me. The articles are supposed to be based mostly on performance and fun but don't really talk about it much. Consider these two statements:

• "Emphasis would be put on how fun they are to drive, how engaging the driving experience is and how quick they are at the track"
    • "a small concession would be made to price, fuel economy, comfort and practicality"

The winner beat the WRX by 3.8 points, yet in the categories of fuel economy and price it gained 6.3 points. In my mind this article means nothing, especially when there is no mention of how they each performed at the track.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Seemed a little bland to me. The articles are supposed to be based mostly on performance and fun but don't really talk about it much. Consider these two statements:

• "Emphasis would be put on how fun they are to drive, how engaging the driving experience is and how quick they are at the track"
    • "a small concession would be made to price, fuel economy, comfort and practicality"

The winner beat the WRX by 3.8 points, yet in the categories of fuel economy and price it gained 6.3 points. In my mind this article means nothing, especially when there is no mention of how they each performed at the track.
    You need to watch the corresponding videos. They have both road and track tests for all of the cars. Spoiler alert: the WRX wins overall.

Street Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa2C...GhELGvQkr8SUGQ

Track Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ__...GhELGvQkr8SUGQ

Winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFrz...GhELGvQkr8SUGQ
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Turned out about the way that I would have thought, except that, being ignorant about the Ford offerings, I would have expected the Focus to make the last cut, rather than the Fiesta.
    They wound up with 3 options there that nicely balance "fun" with whatever other characteristic you're looking for. Pretty much dead-on in their descriptions of the GT86 platform...you can go for a drift or for grip, whichever suits you at the moment. I'm really a little torn about putting a stickier tire on the BRZ when the time comes.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon