Subaru paint that bad?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subaru paint that bad? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I seem to be seeing a common trend of people thinking/saying Subaru paint is "thin" or "poorly done" etc. Is ...

Subaru paint that bad?

I seem to be seeing a common trend of people thinking/saying Subaru paint is "thin" or "poorly done" etc.

Is it really possible Subaru does poorer job compared to say Ford, VW, Honda etc?

Paint chips on any car, fades etc etc especially if you dont take the time to wax it religiously and car for it.

No matter what, IMHO you will get chips....I mean damn you are driving on the road right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All I know is that my front bumper and hood looked worse after 1 year than my Jetta did after 6 years. And when I made my insurance claim (car was ~1 year old), the guy basically marked the entire car as being one giant paint chip.
    Not so much anymore.

Yep. Subaru paint really is that bad.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    I seem to be seeing a common trend of people thinking/saying Subaru paint is "thin" or "poorly done" etc.
    People tend to be kinder and more gracious than is actually fitting.

Is it really possible Subaru does poorer job compared to say Ford, VW, Honda etc?
    Yes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes. I had a 2011 Nissan Sentra that had 55K miles when I got rid of it, I could count the paint chips that it had on one hand (and I NEVER waxed that car once, not that I actually believe wax does anything to prevent road chips). My five month old WRX (that i wax every three weeks)... it would take me all day to count the tiny little chips all over the front. I don't even want to know what its gonna look like in a year.

I mean, a mere grain of sand leaves a mark, no joke.

Yes, the paint is thin, really thin.

Have to agree. I backed into my father's Buick Lucerne the other day. Very minor collision, maybe 1 mph (I was almost stopped). It was a brush from my rear driver's side quarter panel with his same side. It left some dirt and a small scratch less than 1" long on his car. We removed it with a magic eraser, and the Lucerne looks 100% undamaged. My 2013 Impreza SWP has two spots of completely removed paint.

Now I know this is anecdotal and the angles may have disadvantaged the Subaru, but damn, the two cars barely touched and the Buick was unscathed whereas the Subaru took a relative beating. My 2011 WRX was the same - a lot of front end dings to be touched up when I traded it.

mrd
    Yes it is bad, but at the moment there is no car like subaru. Compare price vise and performance nothing can match it. Take look at Fiat or Alfaromeo if you drive them in snow, better do not wash your car as fenders could fall-off.
    Car is still unbeatable. First match IMO is BMW 5-- xi and at 150%+ price. Not worth it.

It does make you wonder though does Subaru just skimp on paint and interior quality to save costs or just they know the buyers of their cars will buy em anyway. I mean if all of a sudden Subaru paint was awesome and the interior was awesome would alot more people buy Subarus? I doubt it. People buy Subarus because of AWD and in terms of the WRX/STi the rally heritage and fun of driving it.

So basically if you want a nice interior and your paint to hold up...if you care about that stuff.....add another $5k in what you're gonna have to do to the the car right after you buy a new one getting paint protection and film and then upgrading the stereo (if it matters to you) and misc interior pieces upgrades.

I personally think the interior in the STi is great. Sure it has some hard plastic in places. Be nice to see that being replaceable in the aftermarket. Those shiny metal hard plastic pieces. But I'm coming from a Nissan Xterra which is rugged and the interior is far from luxurious. Now if I was coming from a BMW I might think otherwise.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

Yes...the paint is the worst I have seen on any car I have owned when it comes to holding up to chips, swirls, etc...
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

Quote Originally Posted by mrd View Post
    Yes it is bad, but at the moment there is no car like subaru. Compare price vise and performance nothing can match it. Take look at Fiat or Alfaromeo if you drive them in snow, better do not wash your car as fenders could fall-off.
    Car is still unbeatable. First match IMO is BMW 5-- xi and at 150%+ price. Not worth it.
    Well, I cant say its a fair tradeoff. This paint should be at least comparable to the paint on my $15K nissan.

Clear bra. Get it on the entire car if you can (if I had the money, I would). I drove a beater 14 year-old Volvo (don't laugh) before my WRX. I swear there were no rock chips anywhere on that POS. My WRX I've had for exactly 1 year now has 6 or 7 rock chips now... I'm starting to lose count. That number would be much higher if it weren't for the clear bra covering the front of my car. Think of clear bra as a condom. Condoms protect against STi's...ermmm I mean rock chips. Derp.

It's not just subaru either. My mitsubishi was the same way
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    Clear bra. Get it on the entire car if you can (if I had the money, I would). I drove a beater 14 year-old Volvo (don't laugh) before my WRX. I swear there were no rock chips anywhere on that POS. My WRX I've had for exactly 1 year now has 6 or 7 rock chips now... I'm starting to lose count. That number would be much higher if it weren't for the clear bra covering the front of my car. Think of clear bra as a condom. Condoms protect against STi's...ermmm I mean rock chips. Derp.
    Still waiting for a pic of your clear bra
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not from my perspective lol. We have a '98 Outback that came with a hell of a good paint job. They know how to do it and always have.

Paint is nasty stuff. I believe their stance is that really laying it on is environmentally less thoughtful. Same as how some shoe companies are doing wonky stuff to not use glues.

This, is a 2003 car, picture from this day. It has actually rusted through in two little pots in the rear. The bumpers are fairly trashed which is normal, but have faded some. Chips & swirls? There are some few chips but you have to get close on them to even notice. I'd not consider this abnormal at all. It is just washed, needs a claybar, and no wax.

"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.