Why do you drive a WRX/STI ? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why do you drive a WRX/STI ? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mrd My wife likes to preach about me driving this car and gets angry. :P My GF ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mrd View Post
    My wife likes to preach about me driving this car and gets angry. :P
    My GF hated me buying the car because of the $26k I spent on it and once she road in it she loved it. Now she still likes it but complains about all the money I dump into it which is understandable. One month owning the car = $1500 modding the car. Let's see... so that should be about $18k a year in mods!
    ME

BUT HUNNY! I actually did the math! That makes it OK!!
    HER

Yea OK... I DONT THINK SO!
    ME

But why?
    HER

Because BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
    ME

HER

Sorry for wasting thread space, but I'm just feeling silly right now. About to buy some rims. DON'T TELL HER!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I started thinking over and over about getting a subaru WRX. I was getting bored of my daily driver at the time Pontiac Grand Prix. I've had it for 8 years. It was a good car, took care of it, nothing really wrong with it. It wasn't that bad in the winter too.

I loved the way the 13/14 year WRX looked. My friend had a hatch back model he drove me in and i was greatly impressed. He had the premium model too so i was liking the front windshield wiper defrost and heated seats.

I asked several subaru/wrx owners if they had any "gotchas" and they all said one thing, and one thing only "the tires you get on the car are sh*t for winter. you'll need to change them when winter comes." didn't really hear anything bad. So I test drove one this past February and I didn't look back. I sold my grand prix to a friend that very weekend and got a 2014 WRX Premium model 2 days after that. I was very impressed at how it accelerated and handled. I didn't want the car to go away haha. I had a few snow falls on the performance tires and it still handled pretty good.

I got a new set of Blizzaks on a season closeout deal I am dying to try out for this winter.

Overall the car has exceeded my expectations. I love the performance and especially the handling. It is annoying when you get in other cars and they take turns much slower. the AWD factor just handles very well. I easily find myself taking turns at 25-35 and when I borrow other people's cars I draw a blank and then all their dash board stuff goes side to side. it's kind of funny when i think about it.

Why do I drive a WRX? Because, I have one!

Anyhoo... I chose a WRX for a couple major reasons over others because, well...

- First, it's a WRX, which, replaced my old Impreza.
    - Second, AWD is an absolute requirement. Don't even try to throw FWD/snow tires & traction control on me, I'll just roundhouse that logic to a ditch on the side of the road.
    - Turbo is excellent for uphill driving. I wanted another turbo car after going too many years without.
    - CVT works so much better than anticipated, enough that I was willing to trade my 5-spd.
    - Makes my driveway look better.
    - Paddle shifters.
    - AWD for snow.
    - My wife sent me a picture of it on the lot at our local Subaru dealership before I even knew about it. No negotiations needed...
    - It was on the lot and I didn't have to wait.
    - Trade-in for the Impreza was high for some reason.
    - Some planets, somewhere, were aligned with the Pleiades and cast a little bit of a glint on the emblem the moment I had seen it for the first time. I know, weird..
    - AWD for even tire wear.
    - Sturdy aluminum L-arms instead of those creaky/rusty steel ones.
    - Torque Vectoring
    - Timing Chain
    - Direct Injection
    - Improvements all around had me interested again.
    - AWD for gravel/dirt/mud.
    - The F-R torque split (45/55) made me happy. I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference in deepish snow traction.
    - Highly dynamic mileage depending on how I want to spend my precious volatiles.
    - I've been holding out because I didn't want another EJ on the same chassis.
    - I've heard good things about the ECCD.
    - And AWD for "driving on rails" feeling.

^
    Dude, do you even like AWD?

Turbo
    Awd
    Aftermarket support
    Engine layout/easy to work on.
    Appearance. Saw the ugly 15 models new body style and turbo mounted under the front end so hurried up and found a 14 sedan while I still could.
    4 door.
    Nice size without being a full size. I already have a 3/4 ton crew cab diesel.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.

I Support ClubWRX
    Drives like it's on rails (in the rain).
    25-32 mpg
    312hp with a Cobb Axxess tuner
    Stealthy fast car
    Dead reliable
    Great resale value (if I ever sell the WRX)
    2015 WRX - Crystal Black Silca
    Cobb Axess Tuner --BrenTuning ECU Solutions
    Cree LED replacement High/Low bulbs
    Pioneer NEX 4000, Alpine PDX 9V, JL Audio C5 650 front /rear components, JL Audio 10TW1-4: 10-inch Subwoofer, Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

Because my 3 favorite letters are W, R, and X.

And because AWD Turbo. And I didn't want anything pretentious.
    Not so much anymore.

MTM
    because I couldnt afford an Evo....

Because I don't think there's a better car this versatile for the money. Simple as that.
    2014 WRB WRX

I drive one because it was the only car I was willing to get rid of my lifted truck for.

I used to have an RX-8 which although slow in a straight line was a lot of fun to drive. It was horrible and terrifying on snow so I drove a winter beater. I started looking ahead a couple years ago to what I would get next. Had to be under 30k, something I could drive year round, fun to drive, more mechanically reliable, and preferably something with a bit more straight line speed than the RX-8.

WRX fit the bill. 2015 came out with a new engine (ring land and bearing failures were the one thing that made me nervous about them). Found one in transit to my dealer set up the way I wanted it and now it sits in the driveway.

I will say this. If I was deadset on getting a hatch new at this moment and didn't want to wait/hope for Subaru to make them again a car I'd look at might be an Audi A3. I saw two, one over the weekend, both in white, and one today. Today the one I saw was a TDI so I'm curious about the gas mileage. But that's a sharp hatch. The only thing is it's a German car made by the VW/Audi group. Which I'd be worried about from a reliability standpoint.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

Quote Originally Posted by grendels_wrx View Post
    I will say this. If I was deadset on getting a hatch new at this moment and didn't want to wait/hope for Subaru to make them again a car I'd look at might be an Audi A3. I saw two, one over the weekend, both in white, and one today. Today the one I saw was a TDI so I'm curious about the gas mileage. But that's a sharp hatch. The only thing is it's a German car made by the VW/Audi group. Which I'd be worried about from a reliability standpoint.
    You can see 50+mpgs from it...my buddy Will (Calvinball) on here traded his WRX for a TDI hatch. He likes it...but misses some of the WRX. Torque monster off the line, but no horsepower.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

-AWD
    -Turbo
    -Looks
    -Practicality/Versatility
    -Sound
    Nate - 2012 DGM WRX
    Stinkeye Mob #2.5

OK I bought one for the following reason.

Nothing out there that is sporty/cool is as practical as a WRX/STi. I mean it's got 4 doors, good space inside and in trunk. Got a fair amount of features and good pickup. Now if I could easily go looking for a lower end Audi, Lexus or Mercedes. Heck even a Toyota or Honda. But really they all probably have better features than a WRX/STi. But I wouldn't look at them and go that's a sharp car. Well maybe the Audi or Mercedes. But there's a certain amount of disdain and snobbery people think you are when you drive one. Whereas I'll take the racerboy stereotype over that any day.
    2013 Black STi Limited sedan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.