Scary loud sound (video included), stuck pebble or something more serious?

This is a discussion on Scary loud sound (video included), stuck pebble or something more serious? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Happy Monday, so, this spine chilling screech has happened to me twice prior to yesterday. The first time was brief, ...

Scary loud sound (video included), stuck pebble or something more serious?

Happy Monday, so, this spine chilling screech has happened to me twice prior to yesterday. The first time was brief, maybe three or four seconds, and maybe a week after I got the car. The second time was very similar to what happened yesterday, but yesterday was by far the worst.

I had just gotten off the freeway and stopped at the light at the end of the off ramp. As soon as the car came to a complete stop I heard what sounded like a piece of sheet metal falling onto another larger and more solid piece of metal, you know, your classic sheet metal clank sound (like a heat-shield hitting the pavement). The light turns green and I start moving, and this metal-on-metal screech just fades in. I pull over, pop the hood, look under the car, look at the brakes... basically poked around for five minutes and found nothing. I had turned the car off, the last time this happened I did the same thing and when I got back in the car the sound was gone, but not this time.

At this point I decided to record the sound, so, I did (please see below video). I crawled on the shoulder for maybe another 100 ft, then stopped and turned the car off again, looked around again and nothing, got back in, turned her on, drive off like nothing had ever happened.

I stopped at my dealership this morning and spoke with the head of the service department, I showed him the video and he assured me that it was just a pebble stuck between the rotor and caliper. While I cant totally disagree, I am not totally convinced. I have had a pebble stuck in a similar fashion in other cars that I have owned, but never was it this obnoxiously loud. It literally sounds like somebody turning a piece of billet aluminum on a lathe.

Here is the video, I apologize in advance for the mild profanity. If you have a problem with profanity, then don't watch the video.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmm dude WTF is that ****?!? Take it to the dealer and have them check it out ASAP!

I'm curious when you showed the video to the service manager was your car present? If so, any reason they couldn't inspect the issue themselves then?

I did, I brought it in today and showed them the video, all they did was assure me it was a pebble stuck in the brakes and as long as the noise was gone that it was fine.

Yes, the car was present.

I Support ClubWRX
    Been there a few times once you hear it you never forget the sound dont worry.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had this noise before as well. I was also told a pebble. I actually found my pebble. You're fine. Stuff gets into the brakes in these cars all the time. Evos have the same problem.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Thanks guys, that is very reassuring. It was just so tooth-gritting, even the soccer mom in the minivan next to me game me that look like "dude, defuq is up with your car?".

I Support ClubWRX
    It usually happens right after winter when all the snow melts and loose gravel everywhere I though it was a heat shield getting caught somewhere. When it does happen you can just keep driving or try backing up and forward a few times.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Sounds like a pebble to me. I had the same thing on my '08 WRX when it was just a few weeks old and like you I didn't want to believe the dealership. After a day I could see a score mark on the disk, and once it went it never came back.

I Support ClubWRX
    This exact thing happened to me for the first time today in my 2013 WRX. Incredible that you happened to post it today. I was driving down a road that was under construction (AKA a road that is torn up and then left there for two years like that. Gotta love MA) and I immediately heard that exact sound. SO lucky the peddle dislodged itself about 300 feet later. I didn't sweat it at all though because I've heard of this problem and researched it before. It is indeed scary to listen to your expensive car listen to noises that sound like a tablesaw cutting aluminum lol

No worries!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
    I did, I brought it in today and showed them the video, all they did was assure me it was a pebble stuck in the brakes and as long as the noise was gone that it was fine.

Yes, the car was present.
    I had a similar incident with my brakes. It let out a nasty screech a couple times. Mostly after a big storm.
    Several of my friends are in the business, so I asked them separately and they inspected my brakes and found no issue. They all said a little bit of sand or a pebble. Or both. I had another brake noise scare in the spring. It turned out because my car sat all winter it had rust and crud in the rotors. I got on highway got moving then tapped and pulsed the brake. It was fine after that.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    How could you not give your Subie the privilege of winter fun??!! Lol jkjk
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRXJosh View Post
    How could you not give your Subie the privilege of winter fun??!! Lol jkjk
    I had ankle surgery last Dec, on my clutch foot.
    I'm still having issues and may have to have a second surgery.
    I could not drive my car at all for about 10 weeks, recovering from surgery.
    This year it will see winter, I'll have to re install my winter wheels and tires.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html