Subaru Newbie

This is a discussion on Subaru Newbie within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I recently purchased myself an Impreza MY04. I have never owned a turbo car or a Subaru before ...

Subaru Newbie

Hi all,

I recently purchased myself an Impreza MY04. I have never owned a turbo car or a Subaru before so I was just wanting to know if anyone has any useful learning resources or any do's and don'ts for a turbo car? I am looking to install mods to it later down the track but I'm not to much of a mechanic and have never really got my hands dirty tinkering with cars before. I would appreciate any info that anyone has about these cars as I have always wished for a Subaru, especially a turbo. Thanks again!

Regards, Danny

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Subaru Newbie

Read the owner's manual cover to cover.

Follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. Prefer authentic Subaru parts.

The best mods are no mods. This is because the best Subarus are built by Subaru. However if you insist follow the link in my signature.

For parts prefer a site vendor. Also you will likely need a reflash. Again prefer a site vendor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it! I know mods are a no no. But for my own personal experience and learning I'd like to do someting with the car to gain a bit of knowledge and understanding of car parts and how it all works. I'm interested in all of it

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok that's very popular. Shop around the site vendors and PM them for prices after you make a mod plan. Mapping will be crucial. Follow all links in the link shown below.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is mapping essential before modding the car or? I'm the biggest rookie on cars. I wouldn't even know where to start with an ECU. Whether I buy one or get it done at a servicer or what?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are going to modify the exhaust (excluding cat backs) or the intake I'd say yes. Have a read below and consider either a reflash customized for specific parts or a Cobb device, but for the latter see their map notes and follow their parts lists specifically.