2015 WRX concerns
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX concerns within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As this is my first experience owning a Subaru I want to make sure I am doing things right. I ...

2015 WRX concerns

As this is my first experience owning a Subaru I want to make sure I am doing things right. I picked up my 15 WRX on June 16th and have 1800 miles in it at this point. As I said before this is my first time with a Subaru and something that has a turbo so everything is new and amazing to me while I drive this thing. I have read quite a few horror stories of people ending up with a blown engine in their new 15 STI. I am well aware that the WRX uses a completely different platform but I am just curious if any one has been having any issues with their 2015 WRX. I am also wondering what kind of steps I can take to get the best experience from this awesome car that I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I've been reading, any sort of modification aside, the worst thing you can do is load up the engine in low RPM. In other words, don't go WOT in 4th gear when you are at 2000 rpm, instead, downshift and get into the powerband.

If I am not mistaken, a good chunk of blown engines on new cars are in some way attributed to modifications without proper tuning (or poor tuning), poor maintenance and flat out abuse and bad habits. In some cases its not entirely the drivers fault, for example, a guy/girl used to a v8 with a wide powerband may get into a turbo four-banger and start mashing the pedal at low RPM because it is something they are used to. This person may be unintentionally doing damage to their engine and/or creating proper conditions to damage their engine.

I'm sure this doesn't account for all cases, and I'm positive others can have much more information to add, but this is a start.

Make sure you check your oil levels. Low oil is really not good in these cars.

I Support ClubWRX
    Read the owner's manual cover to cover and follow it to the letter.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the feed back. When I first got the car I read the manual front to back to ensure I do everything right. It just seems that the engines in these things are very finicky and if not driven a certain way then you're going to have a bad time....

I was in your shoes not too long ago, I'm on my second wrx and this is the advice I received and have been following.

Check the oil level often, change the oil every 3 months or 3500 miles depending on driving habits, let the car warm up to normal operating temps before getting on it, and don't go WOT in low Rpm's or high gears.

Enjoy the car!

Can someone explain in a little more detail about the low RPM WOT stresses? I just picked up my 15 WRX in June and I'm new to the turbo as well. I"m used to the grumbling of the big V8. Love this car! Handles the road like its on rails. JohnWaz1 I'm not trying to take over your thread. I was just curious about that one subject. Haven't seen it in any of my research yet. Thanks!

Shoot I was wondering the same thing. I'm coming from a 2000 trans am so this car is on a whole different planet to me. I've been trying to keep it wound up because I've heard that they like the higher rev and all that but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything that will damage it in the long run. It's been a dream having this thing and I would love to keep it around and alive as long as possible!

I was just researching and found out that it really just puts undo stress on the motor. Basically these motors aren't designed for low RPM peformance. Thus shortening the life of the motor. The best advice is not to do it.

^ yes. Going wot at a low rpm puts undue stress on your engine, this is going to be very different than you guys coming from v8 engines where you can just floor it.

So is it better to keep it in the higher rev range while you're cruising at a constant speed? I am trying to keep it between 2500 and 3000 while I'm cruising around.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You're always going to hear the horror stories. What you don't hear are the 99.5% of 2015 STi owners that are doing just fine.

Yes there have been documented FA20DIT failures. No it probably will not happen to you.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I will say this. At 2000 rpm's mine pulls really good with 10-15% throttle. As the revs go up the pedal goes down and all is right with the world.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's pretty easy to get this car to do what you want. Whether it's with the throttle or the awesome steering wheel. I just want to keep my self from being a part of that half percent of people that have something go wrong. Thanks for all the help and input and happy driving to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWaz1 View Post
    So is it better to keep it in the higher rev range while you're cruising at a constant speed? I am trying to keep it between 2500 and 3000 while I'm cruising around.

No, cruising is fine, WOT from low RPM is where it can get sticky. Think entering the highway in 3rd gear and at 2000 rpm, if you want to accelerate quickly, downshift, or, let the revs build to 3000/3500 before going WOT.

Also, going up steep hills means shifting later, even at slow speeds. This is probably obvious to the majority of you guys, but I see people crawling up hills in 3rd gear doing 30mph, bogging the crap out of the engine. Same concept as WOT in high gear on flat land.

I believe this has something to do with US emissions and the design of the pistons which came as a result.

As zax said, you guys shouldn't get all hell bent about this stuff, but either way, it still cant hurt to maintain good habits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.