quoted over $400 for up pipe install....
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on quoted over 0 for up pipe install.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This seems like a lot for the install, but I honestly am unsure. I am supplying all of the parts ...

quoted over $400 for up pipe install....

This seems like a lot for the install, but I honestly am unsure. I am supplying all of the parts necessary for the install, gaskets, bolts eeverything. So I feel like it should be cheaper than that. I attempted to do this install myself but to no avail. The bolts are entirely too rusted (already broke a bolt head off and rounded another) and do not have the resources to deal with this. Does this seem high or is it because the up pipe install is a bit more difficult?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is your car?

$400 for say, $70/hr shop rate sounds about right. Doing it myself in the garage with jack stands took me all day, so 5 hours or so for a shop seems about right, especially if they need to grind/torch/retap the bolt holes.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

My car is an 04 wrx.

off topic.. when paying for a shop to perform an exhaust mod like this, does the shop give you any backlash about modifying the emissions control system by removing the catalytic converter?
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    off topic.. when paying for a shop to perform an exhaust mod like this, does the shop give you any backlash about modifying the emissions control system by removing the catalytic converter?

Depends on the shop.

They did not show any concerns about removing the cat.

I had this done to my 2005 wagon last week.

My local shop quoted me $550 for labor and gaskets. I thought that was high, so I ended up looking around and found a shop about an hour and a half away, and paid $580 for cobb up pipe, labor, gaskets, and a boost leak test.

I Support ClubWRX
    That price sounds about right to me, maybe even a bit on the low side in terms of hourly labor cost for a part not purchased in house. Doing my DP myself on my '11 took me all of about 4 hours and that was without any hiccups and broken bolts. On an older car you will certainly run into more problems than I did. It's not necessarily an easy installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Some shops will refuse to do work on cars that puts them outside of the state's regulated emissions laws. Also, there are some shops that are willing to do that kind of work. From my experience here in Ohio, most of your every day shops will not do that kind of work as to keep them from possibly being reliable for any fines their customer my incur as a result of the work. Some of the more higher end performance shops will do the work but make you sign a waiver stating that they are not responsible for what they are installing on your car.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

When I did mine myself it took around 6 hours. Like mentioned above most of the time is consumed fighting bolts and getting stock up pipe out

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.