Gasoline Type - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Gasoline Type within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cobb mentions to use Top Tier rated suppliers for their maps ( https://cobb.app.box.com/2015-WRX-map-notes ). Top Tier Gasoline ( Top Tier ...

Cobb mentions to use Top Tier rated suppliers for their maps (https://cobb.app.box.com/2015-WRX-map-notes).

Top Tier Gasoline (Top Tier Gasoline for a list).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Bump
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I have been running a lot of data logs lately and I decided to try different gas stations in my neighborhood.
    The Mobile station's gas produced slightly higher knock numbers using Mobile93, then I tried a new Shell station that has the Shell vpower93 it produced much less knock according to several data log samples at varying speeds and RPMs. And 4 different 2,000 rpm to redline 7,000 or so logs. I am not a scientist or someone doing a lab study. This is just an observation. I have no concrete proof just an opinion and a couple data logs. I am going to continue to go to different gas stations then data log and compare results. I'm doing this only to satisfy curiousity so try it yourself. You may find interesting results. I am also going to try the racing gas 100-110 octane, again because I'm curious. Just something fun to check out. If anyone else has tried this post your findings, I am also wondering about different parts of the country. How places that only have 91 octane read as datalogs. Just some food for thought.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    It would be interesting but very expensive (!!!) to see the 100 icy results.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It would be interesting but very expensive (!!!) to see the 100 icy results.
    Worth a try once in a while, just to see the difference in readings and in performance. Next time I fill up I'm going to go to the Sunoco that sells the high end octane (100-110). They don't have a pump it's pre packaged in 1-50 gallon containers I'll run my tank low ( I still have factory fuel pump, don't run below a quarter with upgraded fuel pump) My car will need like 3, 5 gallon tanks. It will also be interesting to see the mileage it gets I'll probably try the 107 grade first. Something to try if you get bored. And have fun money to spend on gas. Ill cash in my beer and soda cans for extra FUN gas money,
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    So are all available fuels, race or not, unleaded? And/or is your car catless?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    They sell leaded and unleaded gas.
    100 107 110 octane. I real curious to try it.
    My car has a small cat in the Cobb down pipe.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so since you do have a cat, leaded is out of the question for you. See also this:
    2012 WRX STI - Engine Internals (ie. Pistons, Connecting Rod, etc) to support 600WHP+
    toward the end for Mainframe's dire warnings about mixing high octane with everyday fuel even in low proportions and then running a high oct tune. Careful.

The guys here that sell the race gas work at a bulk oil and fuel distributor store. And they all have old muscle cars(most anyway). They will ask what your going to pump it into and will recomend a fuel for you. They won't sell you VP red(104+8 grams of lead PR gallon) if you pull up in a fuel injected car(modern. Exempt are heavy build race cars with aftermarket fi systems but they know those guys and the local racers). They have a 101 clean burn that they'll sell to just about anything modern and performance and VP purple that depending on how you read it from vp's web site is 107-110 octane race fuel. And they are dead set against mixing Anything they sell. When asked why, they don't want to burn up anybody's car cause they bought the wrong gas. And they don't want any liability claims either I'm sure but they really are careful about it. Whish there were more guys like them around!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Now that I'm thinking about this it would be interesting to have a look at actual octane of one supplier's fuel vs. another. It'd be both difficult and boring to do with a controlled test engine but interesting to see how, say, RON would differ from station to station week to week -- even from the same station there could be differences... But!!! There shouldn't be. Ever. Yet even I would not be surprised.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK so since you do have a cat, leaded is out of the question for you. See also this:
    2012 WRX STI - Engine Internals (ie. Pistons, Connecting Rod, etc) to support 600WHP+
    toward the end for Mainframe's dire warnings about mixing high octane with everyday fuel even in low proportions and then running a high oct tune. Careful.
    Thanks SD_GR very informative, I see the point about gas.
    If I have a specific map to run race gas with a DW65c pump and 1,000 cc injectors. Then it shouldn't be a problem?
    I only intend to run once in a while. I haven't started racing or Autocross yet (Left foot may need second surgery) I'm just learning and trying new things. Thanks for heads up and to Mainframe for the info as well. You guys are a wealth of information. And I appreciate sharing your knowledge.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    Now that I'm thinking about this it would be interesting to have a look at actual octane of one supplier's fuel vs. another. It'd be both difficult and boring to do with a controlled test engine but interesting to see how, say, RON would differ from station to station week to week -- even from the same station there could be differences... But!!! There shouldn't be. Ever. Yet even I would not be surprised.
    That would be very interesting. Because of all the additives that vary place to place. It would be cool to go to suppliers and compare them before the break down and additives are added. The individual stations then do there own thing to. I was real surprised to see the data numbers from the Mobile station that I usually go, to and Shell where I went once in a while. I am checking a few other places. But I think I'll end up going to Shell, or Sunoco. I'll keep you guys informed.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    My take is that your specific map would be no problem for that specific fuel at that specific set of conditions under which the map was written, and the further you deviate from those the worse things can get. I think Mainframe's point about fuel mixtures is quite valid at least to the extent that one can never know the actual octane level of a mixture since one doesn't even know exact volumes etc.

Short answer: I don't know. Be careful. Try cautious logging first if there is any doubt -- and if there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Also bear in mind the disclaimer statement in my signature (last line).

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the advice. The last thing I want is to blow up a car that's halfway paid for. That's what I love, being able to bounce theories and ideas off other people. It helps a lot in the decision making process. It's always good constructive feedback. I appreciate that. Hard to find now a days.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234