2015 WRX and trailer hitch
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX and trailer hitch within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so, I started looking at some brochures for the new Gen WRX, and noticed that no long is the towing ...

2015 WRX and trailer hitch

so, I started looking at some brochures for the new Gen WRX, and noticed that no long is the towing capacity even noted ?
    the 2014 has it, and almost every other Subaru model but not the new WRX.

I got to wondering. Why isn't Subaru even listing some sort of towing capacity anywhere ? even on the WRX brochure it shows nothing. I want to put one one if possible but if Subaru says it cant happen or not recommended then maybe I wont. but what is weird is they aren't stating towing capacity and also not saying its not recommended. Im confused. I think of much smaller cars with trailer hitches. Ive seen Civics, Prius , and some small cars carrying a small trailer so I am pretty sure this can do it - but I want some assurance or examples of people using it like this.

I got some information that two vendors out there and building aftermarket hitches for the WRX. TORKLIFT AND eTRAILER.

I haven't seen either one yet on the new WRX - was wondering if anyone is thinking of putting one on for mtn bikes, small utility trailers or anything else.
    I have a 350lb motorcycle that I would like to trailer a few times a year. I cant imagine this isn't possible but why isn't Subaru at least giving some specs on that ?

anyways - would love to hear about your 2015 and hitch considerations :
    what will you trailer ?
    how often ?
    any pictures of examples out there yet ?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In the manual for the 2012s (I'm sure it's the same for 13s & 14s.. Prolly 15s too) that towing is not recommended.

Its not recommended, but that doesnt mean it hasn't been done. Do a search, I've seen several threads on the topic.

I Support ClubWRX

ok thanks - yea, Im searching all over for this. I have a 250lb dirt bike and would have the need to pull it 6x a year maybe a few hundred miles - I cant imagine why its not recommended with the pwr the new one has - something tells me its a liability thing for Subaru - idk ? thanks guys. Id love to see some pics especially of the newest one with this setup

CHECKED THAT TORKLIFT product and the video but I cant tell how the receiver and how you would attach the cotter-pin to that - I sent them a note hopefully they will have pics or a video.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it was just released for the 2015 so there aren't any reviews by users yet. Space definitely looks limited so it's a good idea to confirm fitment of your attachments before you buy. I decided to try out a seasucker mount for my bike instead of a hitch mount, so I haven't been following too closely.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo0034 View Post
    Yeah, it was just released for the 2015 so there aren't any reviews by users yet. Space definitely looks limited so it's a good idea to confirm fitment of your attachments before you buy. I decided to try out a seasucker mount for my bike instead of a hitch mount, so I haven't been following too closely.

well, install looks good but i think a lot of us need some details on how to take the pin out and where things get connected. they really should test with a 2" receiver and ball so we can see exactly where everything will connect to and how. because their setup is so hidden, Im worried about how to get back in there to do anything ... hopefully they will answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
    well, install looks good but i think a lot of us need some details on how to take the pin out and where things get connected. they really should test with a 2" receiver and ball so we can see exactly where everything will connect to and how. because their setup is so hidden, Im worried about how to get back in there to do anything ... hopefully they will answer.
    Here is the answer for the Pin Out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw5c8rm6uv...heRemorque.png

YEA, I saw that - basically you have to trim the back area to put your hand in there. I got about 2months before I really buy any hitch. I want to see someone do this first , I don't want to be the guinnea pig just yet. I like how its hidden, but im not sure that's such a good idea. Another company is doing one also and I think theirs will be more traditional setup so I definitely want to see that one first. (etrailer.com)

FWIW, I bought an EcoHitch for my 2015 WRX recently and installed it myself today. I thought about having it done but trailer places didn't want to (not their product) and body shops wanted a blank check due to unknown time it would take. Can't blame them, but I tend not to like to pay for other people's learning curve...

Anyway, the hitch itself really fit great. There wasn't really any part of the install that was difficult, but I did go slow to make sure I didn't break any of the plastic tabs that hold the bumper on. I got the 1 1/4 as I see no reason to go with a 2" if you are towing a sane load. Had no trouble attaching and securing my Yakima tray rack.

Highly recommend the EcoHitch!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.