Some cheap mods i just ordered.

This is a discussion on Some cheap mods i just ordered. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; AEN filter. I understand it doesn't actually give an HP boost. I just like the fact that they are reusable. ...

Some cheap mods i just ordered.

AEN filter. I understand it doesn't actually give an HP boost. I just like the fact that they are reusable. I may be trying other brands over the next years or so, and decided to try this one first since i heard it was a good deal.
    AEM Dryflow Panel Air Filter - 2015 WRX / 2015 STI - Intake - 2015+ Subaru WRX

LED corner lights. I have a premium so i have those ugly orange ones. These are pretty damn cheap so i went with them and i think they will help make the car look better.
    http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru...l#.U4cCRukU_X4

All in all, not bad for $60 or so (including shipping).
    Last edited by Mike0341; 05-29-2014 at 02:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess Ill be the first but are you sure its ok to run a drop in filter for the 2015 without adjusting the ECU?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I found a few others running them and their pages do not mention anything regarding the fact.

Glad you mentioned it though, and Ill look into it.

Thanks for watching my six

A drop in filter will not need an ECU tune. If that were the case, JiffyLube and the like would have been sued and out of business long ago for any failed engines, etc.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post
    A drop in filter will not need an ECU tune. If that were the case, JiffyLube and the like would have been sued and out of business long ago for any failed engines, etc.

Yea I've had drop ins on other vehicles and never needed a flash. This being a fickle beast, i figure i should look into it. I know some CAI models will require a tune on these, from what i hear. Moshimoto is currently working on their prototype so we will see how that goes. Others im sure will be just as good if not better.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post

Ok ill rephrase my post.
    Does that AEM panel filter need a tune since there is potential for it to flow more air and could cause possible damage to your care with out the ecu being properly calibrated.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Ok ill rephrase my post.
    Does that AEM panel filter need a tune since there is potential for it to flow more air and could cause possible damage to your care with out the ecu being properly calibrated.
    Well in turn, would an ECU need to be re-flashed as the intake is becoming choked due to an old restrictive filter that is going to be replaced once it is mandated per the service manual. If it doesnt need a tune due to dirt and grime choking it to death then a bit more air shouldnt kill it. Im still googling it though because some cars do require you to unplug the battery and reset the ECU. Wouldn't hurt to reset either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    AEN filter. I understand it doesn't actually give an HP boost. I just like the fact that they are reusable. I may be trying other brands over the next years or so, and decided to try this one first since i heard it was a good deal.

LED corner lights. I have a premium so i have those ugly orange ones. These are pretty damn cheap so i went with them and i think they will help make the car look better.

All in all, not bad for $60 or so (including shipping).
    Where did you get the LED corner lights at? Model number?

Quote Originally Posted by the1theonly03z View Post
    Where did you get the LED corner lights at? Model number?
    Holy crap, my drunk ass screwed the pooch on that one lol. The link has been fixed.

LED Headlight Boomerang Bulbs - 2015 WRX Base / Premium - Exterior - 2015+ Subaru WRX

They were pretty damn cheap. Thanks for noticing the screw up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Ok ill rephrase my post.
    I believe not, someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm about 99% sure that what requires a tune is when you change the length and diameter of the intake tube where the MAF sensor is. This would mean that a drop in filter would be perfectly fine with no tune.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I believe not, someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm about 99% sure that what requires a tune is when you change the length and diameter of the intake tube where the MAF sensor is.
    Im sure thats part of it but also I would think increased air flow would also require an ecu tune. If the AEM filter still is able to flow very similar amounts of air as the OEM then I guess it would be fine. The benefit would then be the reusable factor.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I believe not, someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm about 99% sure that what requires a tune is when you change the length and diameter of the intake tube where the MAF sensor is. This would mean that a drop in filter would be perfectly fine with no tune.
    It isn't so linear. A different diameter MAF housing will absolutely need an MAFv retune. Adding/changing the airflow path before the MAF sensor may change the MAFv calibration. With a drop-in filter, the concern is that you may have freed enough restriction to hit untuned load cells. It is, however, unlikely.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/