Doing maintenance with mods(warranty?)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Doing maintenance with mods(warranty?) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My 2014 wrx is stage 2. If I go in for my oil change / maintenance, will they note that ...

Doing maintenance with mods(warranty?)

My 2014 wrx is stage 2. If I go in for my oil change / maintenance, will they note that my car is modified? Will this void my warranty?
    Or will they just do the work and ignore that I have mods?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by disqimation View Post
    My 2014 wrx is stage 2. If I go in for my oil change / maintenance, will they note that my car is modified?
    Yes.

Will this void my warranty?
    To this, almost invariably in the US, people will respond that "nothing voids your warranty" and that they at most could deny service but they'd have to prove the imitation part caused the fault rather than an authentic Subaru part. Then they'll quote legislation (Magnusson-Moss, I neither know nor care how many Ss are in there normally) that seems useful and in fact is useful -- but not to you. It's useful to those that sell imitation parts.

Here's the worst case scenario: you have a fault, you try to make a warranty claim, they note that your car has unauthorized, non-authentic parts, and they deny your claim. People will say "but, but, BUT THEY NEED A REASON AND THEY NEED TO PROVE AND MAG-MOSS" but in reality, all they have to do is say, "no."

You're then left with a broken car and questions about what to do next. Some would then say, "Get a lawyer!" but lawyers don't fix cars. Mechanics fix cars. That's why the legislation is useless to you.

Or will they just do the work and ignore that I have mods?

thanks
    Since you are not claiming warranty work right now my guess is that they'll simply do what you pay them to do. However, my guess is useless. Some recommend speaking to your dealer before/during/after modifying to see their stance, but their stance won't be in writing -- so it doesn't exist.

The issue isn't maintenance or an oil change. The issue is a major failure, and who'll pick up the bill for that. If/when that happens you're usually better off having a stock car maintained with authentic parts and a full written service record. However if you're in the US, that service record need not be from the dealer (this is illogical and remarkable, but I take advantage of it too). It can be from any other shop, or for DIY maintenance -- as long as you have dated receipts for the correct fluids, parts, etc. as per the manual to the last letter. Having the dealer do it increases your costs but the benefit is they can't argue "go see the mechanic that messed up your car, not us" later on.

I DIY any/everything I can. I keep all dated receipts. Never had a problem. However my car is not modified. YMMV.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the response. So do you think I should just get the work done and see what happens?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by disqimation View Post
    Thanks for the response. So do you think I should just get the work done and see what happens?
    Honestly I can't answer that. Each car, dealer, service writer, and unspoken policy is different. Get a feel for whom you are dealing with first. Are there dozens of cars but not a single catalytic converter in sight? Do they themselves sell aftermarket parts? Do they install them? Ask first, then decide whether to bring the car there or not.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Let me preface by saying that I love when SD goes on rant about modified cars / warranty claims / MMA. Although, this one didn't have the signature "go pound sand" line coming from the service manager, so I can only grade this one as a "B"...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Yes.
    Not necessarily. If the dealership is "modified-friendly", they likely won't mark it down in the system.

EDIT: You seemed to address that in your follow-up post.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

By chance does anyone know of a mod friendly dealer in southern California?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Let me preface by saying that I love when you go on rant about modified cars. Although, this one didn't have your signature "go pound sand" line coming from the service manager, so I can only grade this one as a "B"...

Not necessarily. If the dealership is "modified-friendly", they likely won't mark it down in the system.
    Not only are you absolutely correct, but I've completely misread what "noted" means. I interpreted it to mean "notice" or "observer" rather than literally "write down" or "mark" etc. Oops! My fault. You're right.

I'll do a quick search and see if I can find "go pound sand" and link it. I'd forgotten!

OK I got one!

what mods can i make and still keep my warente?

From personal experience, I've taken my car in with aftermarket turbo back exhaust, intercooler, BPV and EBCS for an oil change and they didn't say or document a thing (two different dealerships). However, when I broke a bolt installing aftermarket sways and took it to have the bolt drilled out, they flagged it for aftermarket parts (sways/end links, no mention of other mods). This was likely more to cover them from warranty claims against the bolt or further suspension mods.

It's really up to you. I choose not to hide mods from my dealer, they may be more likely to help out should there be a problem down the road. Plus I'm not a fan of uninstalling and reinstalling parts.

2011 SWP Sedan

Tuned by Keenan @ All Aspects Motorsports / 322WHP / 330 ft/lbs TQ
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...swp-sedan.html

I've seen dealers in NC take in some seriously modified cars under warranty because they are getting a paycheck and don't care if its from you or the warranty company. A certain ford dealership replaced an entire engine that was blown and didn't care that it had after market cams, supercharger, and other goodies. They did however charge him a small fee on the side so that the owner could keep some of those goodies hat weren't effected.

So it basically comes down to the dealer. I have yet to find a dealer in Houston like this (well maybe one).

I Support ClubWRX
    Isn't that dealer though doing the proverbial "we rip off the other guy and pass the savings on to you" and in turn doesn't that mean the maker must recoup costs from somewhere, plus close any gaps or loopholes in future claims against the warranty -- even legitimate claims?...

An individual owner that doesn't deserve warranty work may benefit from this but I wonder if it's not at the expense of other owners, who may be turned away.

Possibly true. I know the owner of the dealership sponsored a couple cars that frequented the drag strips around NC. Who knows how he was working everything out in the long run or if he was doing it for everyone who walked in the door.

Pretty much everyone who had a modified Ford in that town purchased it from that dealer so the amount of volume he pushed out may have made up for the service fees.

In the long run, its up to the dealer if they want to accept your warranty. On that note, not all warranties are created equal. Just because your issue voids the manufactures warrant does not mean it voids the extended warranty from the 3rd party.

Therefore, if you have an extended warranty they can easily say "it voids the manufacturers warranty because you used after market parts," yet most 3rd party warranties do not require a vehicle to use OEM parts so you can easily be covered under your extended warranty.

Sorry to repeat myself, but does anyone know of a mod friendly dealer in southern California? Please send me a message if you don't want to broadcast it to the thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Try visiting to see if they sell aftermarket parts. That's a sign. Hopefully someone will know and PM you.

Will do, thanks for the help.

As stated above, not being "mod friendly" doesn't mean the dealer isn't expected to cover your vehicle if you have a 3rd party extended warranty. Your warranty dictates what's allowed and what isn't not the dealer, when it comes to those types of warranties.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.