Protecting your Intercooler

This is a discussion on Protecting your Intercooler within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Is there an elegant solution for protecting the intercooler from getting all dinged up from debris flying into the scoop? ...

Cee

Protecting your Intercooler

Is there an elegant solution for protecting the intercooler from getting all dinged up from debris flying into the scoop? I've had mine less than a month and it's got a couple dents. What do you all do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Soon this could end up turning into a "Should you get a hood scoop grill" thread.

You can always fab up a mesh grill to cover it (I have seen others do this) Or you can always wait and see if grillcraft makes an insert or make your own.

Think about it this way just imagine how much your radiator gets dinged up. It happens and as long as you dont have a leak I wouldn't worry. People run FMIC and they are just fine as well. If you want I would say hold off its not that big of a deal mostly just cosmetic problem.

If anything I would want to protect the oh so durable subaru paint
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Buy a pair of tweezers...then fix the fins every couple weeks or months or whenever you feel like it.
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

I wouldn't bother. You're going to end up bending fins regardless when the I/C gets removed.
    Like said before I'd be more mindful of the paint before the intercooler

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

painted mine black and polished the top tank. im not sure if yours has a aluminum tank but the medium gloss black nearly hid all the dings my 02 has collected from being a gravel road car before i bought it. worked so well i did the air cond. condenser as well behind the grill. my paint is so chipped up its not worth fixing without several grand for a complete resto.

like so. doesnt hide the dents, just makes them harder to notice. and not a tiny bit of performance hindered by the paint.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You can buy mesh inserts. Spend your money on it if you want. There are better things for your money though. I'm out.

Cee
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You can buy mesh inserts. Spend your money on it if you want. There are better things for your money though. I'm out.
    Alrighty. Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.

There are grills you can put on, but I've read that they seriously reduce airflow to the ic. Iirc they reduce airflow by like 30%+

I still always wonder what people drive into and drive through to bend and ding so many fins...I drive a LOT and a lot on the highway and I've never had that issue aside from a minor fin bent here or there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I still always wonder what people drive into and drive through to bend and ding so many fins...I drive a LOT and a lot on the highway and I've never had that issue aside from a minor fin bent here or there.
    I use mine as a tool rack and even then it does not seem to get bent.
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    I use mine as a tool rack and even then it does not seem to get bent.
    I've done that myself too.

I've always thought if something is really getting into your scoop and damaging your TMIC, its going to rattle around your hood first. Or similar stuff is going to damage the exterior of the car just as much.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Upgrade to a new TMIC /thread.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/