Questions about the 2015 WRX turbo 2.0 motor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about the 2015 WRX turbo 2.0 motor within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Guys I've been interested in getting a WRX for the longest time. I really dig the new 2015. Also ...

Questions about the 2015 WRX turbo 2.0 motor

Hey Guys
    I've been interested in getting a WRX for the longest time. I really dig the new 2015. Also the fact that it's an auto CVT. Saw the postings of the 100k plus club. My concern is the engine is a direct injection motor. Two of my friends one being a 2002 wrx owner and both being mechanics. They've both voiced concerns about longevity with that set up, engine tranny etc... Can anyone give me some informed feed back on both the engine and tranny. I need a car that is a complete package. Fun to drive and reliable. Need the automatic and the four doors. Wanted the hatch but they discontinued it for now. Thanks

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a warranty on it problem solved....lol, honestly they better hope there isn't an issue with it, the same trany is in the new forester and I'm sure it will start popping up in there other cars.... The new 2.0 I have no idea about..Subaru makes great vehicles though in my opinion. I drove a cvt yesterday it's honestly a super peppy car . I was very surprised it's surprising how much faster it feels than my 13 optima turbo....also the car feels way sportier than my optima....sorry this probably didn't help but j would honestly buy the car. I did just waiting for her to show up����

If you drive it like you stole it all the time, it will break. That goes for pretty much any car. Period. I'm sure subaru wouldn't put this transmission in a turbo charged AWD car if they thought it wouldn't hold up. Now, if you start throwing more power at it, you should anticipate some problems. If you intent to modify this car, you're probably way better off with the 6 speed.

I could be wrong.

They have a diesel that produces 350 ft lbs of torque and it uses a cvt. Im still doing the research to see if this is the same trans.

Quote Originally Posted by dandankler View Post
    Get a warranty on it problem solved...
    ...or not. First, we don't know how long Mike plans to keep his car. As the car enters the period where problems are more likely to occur the warranties tend to get more expensive and also limited. Next we don't know if Mike plans to modify his car, thus blowing his warranty in the areas which count. The last factor is Subaru or the warranty provider. People tend to buy WRXs because they want to drive them like WRXs - and warranty companies try to pass off some problems as "abuse" whether it's true or not.

Only time will tell if the FA is a reliable engine, but I was happy to take the risk because I believe it will be. Subaru have been using 2.0 turbo engines in other countries for a long time. Then the FB was developed as a modern, more advanced product than the EJ a few years ago, and the FA is a lighter and improved version of the FB. I expect their to be some teething problems, but the engine itself isn't in its first year and has shown some signs of its potential in other applications like the BRZ and FXT.

This would be a daily driver #1. #2 i don't usually beat up on my cars. But do however enjoy some spirited driving. Maybe the occassional autoX. I plan on keeping the car for about 8-10 years. Right around the 100k mark. I do already have a sports car in the garage. It's a 71 Datsun 240Z. But it definitely isn't a daily. My other pick would be a 2014-15 Rav4. Great vehicle and more practical. Which is usually the side i vere towards. I can't help but love the WRX. It's a complete car right out of the box. I'm concerned about cost of maintenance. Is it as bad as having a BMW? If it's cheaper than a Bimmer than i'm good. Never had one so this is a learning experience. Thanks for all the imput Guys. Much appreciated.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zlion View Post
    This would be a daily driver #1. #2 i don't usually beat up on my cars. But do however enjoy some spirited driving. Maybe the occassional autoX. I plan on keeping the car for about 8-10 years. Right around the 100k mark. I do already have a sports car in the garage. It's a 71 Datsun 240Z. But it definitely isn't a daily. My other pick would be a 2014-15 Rav4. Great vehicle and more practical. Which is usually the side i vere towards. I can't help but love the WRX. It's a complete car right out of the box. I'm concerned about cost of maintenance. Is it as bad as having a BMW? If it's cheaper than a Bimmer than i'm good. Never had one so this is a learning experience. Thanks for all the imput Guys. Much appreciated.

Mike
    Cheaper than a BMW to maintain but more than the Rav. Although if you are looking for a sporty drive you should really be cross-shopping with the Forester XT (mostly the same setup as the WRX with the same CVT, turbo and FA20 engine) or the 2.5 CX-5 (only those made from November 2013 for 5 star safety ratings I believe). The Rav is a great and reliable family vehicle but dull for spirited driving. Any engine is repairable and Subaru have a good track record for cars being on the road after 10 years.

Overall the DIT and CVT are a great combo. Just a bit of history...
    Subaru ran this combo in the JDM Legacy GT for a solid year + after testing before it came to the US in the FXT.
    Having owned a 14 FXT for a year now I can recommend it to others. It is fun, sporty and gets great mileage in the summer for an AWD. We get around 28mpg highway, but have seen 30.
    That said there are a couple pitfalls...
    1. The FXT suffers from a hard start issue. Subaru has an ECU update that members on Subaru forester.org have reported solves the issue. I'm hoping to get ours flashed soon.
    2. The great mileage is only seen in the summer. When it was cold my WRX saw better mileage than my wife's FXT. If you live in a warmer area of the country this is a non issue.

A couple other noteworthy items.
    -the CVT is better than your traditional autobox imo, but it's no manual replacement
    -it is very hard to get the car sideways in the snow so it's not as fun as my old Legacy was.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
    -it is very hard to get the car sideways in the snow so it's not as fun as my old Legacy was.
    Shhh, them be words I don't want in my lugholes! It's a shame you can't just use the handbrake like in the STI, but I am sure we could still pull a Scandy if needed.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    No one can comment on the longevity of the motor/transmission as of yet. What we know:
    1. The FA20 has a high power ceiling: FA20s in the BRZ were pushed to north of 400whp before failure. With the mill in the WRX, I expect no less.
    2. The 6MT is strengthened over the prior generation units. The CVT has been postulated to be borrowed from the Impreza turbo diesel, so may be no stranger to high-torque output.

However, this is not an indication of long-term reliability and longevity. The motor and transmission are new to Subaru with the BRZ and again with the DIT version in the Forester/JDM Legacy Touring. We won't know until people like you buy the car and report your findings!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Shhh, them be words I don't want in my lugholes! It's a shame you can't just use the handbrake like in the STI, but I am sure we could still pull a Scandy if needed.
    You can use the handbrake, but there isn't a way to actually turn the traction control off so as soon as you get sideways the car auto corrects. Honestly, it's my wife's car so I didn't drive it too much in the snow. I've seen a few folks post videos so it's possible, but nothing like a good old manual transmission with 50/50 split. I'm hoping my new WRX is still fun in the snow even though it has traction control. My 06 Legacy was a blast! manual transmission with no traction control or vdc.

Quote Originally Posted by zlion View Post

Mike
    I will comment more on the engine aspect of it. 2015 WRX (Just ordered) will be my 3rd Direct Injected turbo engine. 1st was 2.0T in Audi A4 and 2nd was N54 in BMW 535i. Audi/VW engines have been notorious for carbon build up on their direct injection engines. Supposedly, newer engines have addressed this. BMW, while not as bad as VAG, also seen a fair amount of carbon. This is a byproduct of injection system. With port injection fuel is sprayed upstream of intake valves, the fuel spray "washes" over valves and removes deposits. No such luck with direct injection. My hope is that the technology has been around long enough, that most manufacturers have figured out how to lessen problem of carbon build-up. Other advice I have read is to run the engines hard every so often, and the higher engine temps will help burn off some of the deposits. Basically run on the highway in a gear or 2 below overdrive to keep rpm over 3K for 20-30 mins. Only negative is wasting gas. I have done this on occasion with my bmw and it seems to help, could be placebo.

Subaru has been doing turbocharged cars for a long time, so I would not worry so much about engine longevity. Japanese parts are relatively cheap, especially compared to Germans, so repairs should be cheaper, should the need ever arise.

zax
    You can use the handbrake, but there isn't a way to actually turn the traction control off so as soon as you get sideways the car auto corrects. Honestly, it's my wife's car so I didn't drive it too much in the snow. I've seen a few folks post videos so it's possible, but nothing like a good old manual transmission with 50/50 split. I'm hoping my new WRX is still fun in the snow even though it has traction control. My 06 Legacy was a blast! manual transmission with no traction control or vdc.
    This is really not a good plan on a car with a center viscous coupling differential. Essentially you are forcing a speed difference between the front and rear axles for an extended period of time. This puts stress on the VCU and will wear down the VCU much quicker than normal driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mike View Post
    I will comment more on the engine aspect of it. 2015 WRX (Just ordered) will be my 3rd Direct Injected turbo engine. 1st was 2.0T in Audi A4 and 2nd was N54 in BMW 535i. Audi/VW engines have been notorious for carbon build up on their direct injection engines. Supposedly, newer engines have addressed this. BMW, while not as bad as VAG, also seen a fair amount of carbon. This is a byproduct of injection system. With port injection fuel is sprayed upstream of intake valves, the fuel spray "washes" over valves and removes deposits. No such luck with direct injection. My hope is that the technology has been around long enough, that most manufacturers have figured out how to lessen problem of carbon build-up. Other advice I have read is to run the engines hard every so often, and the higher engine temps will help burn off some of the deposits. Basically run on the highway in a gear or 2 below overdrive to keep rpm over 3K for 20-30 mins. Only negative is wasting gas. I have done this on occasion with my bmw and it seems to help, could be placebo.

Subaru has been doing turbocharged cars for a long time, so I would not worry so much about engine longevity. Japanese parts are relatively cheap, especially compared to Germans, so repairs should be cheaper, should the need ever arise.
    Just an FYR, Subaru patented a air-oil separator design for use in DIT engines last year. Whether or not this technology made its way into the 2015 WRX is unknown.

Facebook me here

What Zax said, but also that you cannot lock the back wheels easily (if at all) in gear, and that trying to do so could damage or wear the hand-brake system as well as the AWD. Only the STI is (or at least used to be) designed to release drive from the rear wheels so that you could pull off certain hand-brake techniques. The WRX has an inferior AWD system which cannot be made to do this (AFAIK).

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Only the STI is (or at least used to be) designed to release drive from the rear wheels so that you could pull off certain hand-brake techniques. The WRX has an inferior AWD system which cannot be made to do this (AFAIK).
    Not quite. The rear wheels are never decoupled from the transmission in the STI.

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast