2015 WRX owners.. specific driving impressions needed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX owners.. specific driving impressions needed within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all! I am in need of some specific driving impressions of your new 2015 WRX. They just aren't on ...

2015 WRX owners.. specific driving impressions needed

Hello all! I am in need of some specific driving impressions of your new 2015 WRX. They just aren't on the lots where I live..so I won't be able to test drive any.

1. How is the WRX in stop and go traffic? Is it a chore? Easy enough? This would be my daily driver.. which includes a fair amount of traffic.
    2. Does the power drop off a ton when the AC is on? I had a 2012 GTI.. and turning on the AC would suck the power down a fair amount. This effect is probably amplified cause I'm at altitude.
    3. Can anyone at a mile high give me impressions of when you floor it? Good speed? Wanting a bit more?
    4. How is the pedal feel on the brakes? I have read a lot of pro-reviews that express some dissatisfaction in that area.. but they were driving pre-production cars. How does the real thing feel?

For reference..I currently drive a 2012 Mustang GT. It's a great car in many regards.. but I've decided I like light handlers more than sledgehammer speed. I'm also interested in a four door.

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

+1 on the a/c question. have the same thing in my civic si ep3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I have a 2012 WRX--I notice absolutely no drag with the AC on. I would be surprised if this is the case in the 2015 model.

As far as driving in traffic, it is a bit of a pain, as it is with any manual, plus the gear ratios are not really suited for driving at 5 miles per hour. It's something you just learn to put up with. And build up your clutch leg muscles.

Anybody with a 2015 please chime in. I don't know about mile-high pickup (that sounds vaguely naughty)--I had a Saab that just sucked when I drove it from flatlands to Denver, but I drove a CRV there recently without any issues. My daughter lives in Denver now, so presumably I'll have the chance to test it out...

I have a 2015 WRX Premium with about 400 miles on it. My commute is mostly highway but I spend a good portion of it sitting in complete stop and go traffic (1st & 2nd gear). I've been driving stick my whole life so to me, it's a no brainer and easy in traffic. I don't have any complaints, the car feels great.

I haven't needed to run A/C full blast yet but having it on a little bit I haven't noticed any decrease in power. Then again, I haven't really gone over 4k RPM yet. Maybe just a few times but the car feels pretty strong. Will eventually do some mods once I break it in.

Where are you located? Maybe we can find you a dealer with 1 in stock for you to test.

1. How is the WRX in stop and go traffic? Is it a chore? Easy enough? This would be my daily driver.. which includes a fair amount of traffic.
    - Haven't noticed any problems, but I have only ever driven standard. Clutch is easier than on the previous gen.

2. Does the power drop off a ton when the AC is on? I had a 2012 GTI.. and turning on the AC would suck the power down a fair amount. This effect is probably amplified cause I'm at altitude.
    - I haven't had it cranked right up, but for normal AC use I haven't noticed any drop in power.

3. Can anyone at a mile high give me impressions of when you floor it? Good speed? Wanting a bit more?
    - Wanting a little more, but not a deal breaker (1100m though). I understand that all turbos will suffer at altitude, but a good custom tune can make up for that by taking into account atmospheric pressure. My '08 WRX was fine after an appropriate map was applied.

4. How is the pedal feel on the brakes? I have read a lot of pro-reviews that express some dissatisfaction in that area.. but they were driving pre-production cars. How does the real thing feel?
    - Brakes don't feel sharp, but the car stops well if you actually press on the pedal. I wouldn't consider that to be a problem but it could feel better.

Somebody here please explain to me how "all turbos will suffer" at altitude? Is this not an issue with NA engines too? If anything, in my experience, turbos absolutely kick ass at altitude over NA. This includes all my turbo Saabs. BTW, 1100m is not altitude in my book, I think altitude starts to be something to notice over 7000'. Wow I'm frisky sorry!

Every engine suffers at altitude. There's less air molecules getting into the engine=less power
    Any turbo car is the same.
    Of course turbo cars are better at altitude. They're also better at sea level

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

[QUOTE=nsibanez;3520617]Every engine suffers at altitude. There's less air molecules getting into the engine=less power
    Any turbo car is the same.
    Of course turbo cars are better at altitude. They're also better at sea level

So true! But at altutude the blessed turbo crams air into that intake manifold and doesnt give a poop what the thin air is doing: oxygen content at 15psi is oxygen content at 15 psi. match fuel, presto! turbo makes us all happy. As for NA...SOL.

@Raven Logistics: That dark blue thing you got there is SWEET. I ordered DGM, but that blue is...complicating things.

Here is my edit: whoa dang this subject of altitude is way complicated. In over my head. Suffice it to say turbos are great and are extra great at altitude. My experience is based on TD04 19T bolted onto a 2.3L with huge injectors...I never noticed any effects of altitude going over 10k'.
    Last edited by trama; 05-15-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: me dumb

But is it the same thing as say hotter air vs colder air. Sure you may be boosting the same, 15 psi hot air is 15 psi cold but hot air expands so less air is still getting into the engine producing less power. I would think the same for altitude.
    I'd like to take my car up to Detroit and see how it moves thoufh

Stinkeye member 520

Denver**
    It's late

But the turbo really doesn't care about psi as much as it does ambient pressure. No engine is going to be as effecient at altitude then opposed to lower levels

Stinkeye member 520

[QUOTE=nsibanez;3520721]Denver**
    It's late

But the turbo really doesn't care about psi as much as it does ambient pressure. No engine is going to be as effecient at altitude then opposed to lower levels.

So True sir. But...my performance Butt-meter is based on my relative experience, and as I could still lay rubber in third gear twice as high as Denver at over 10k', I would lay waste to NA sport sedans who were pesky on the way up. We might have all admitedly been suffering altitude effects in performance, but relative to those cheeky characters I was feelin ever so fine. So in effect, turbo made me feel stronger with every foot of up. yay turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    - I haven't had it cranked right up, but for normal AC use I haven't noticed any drop in power.
    I want to retract this, as I paid more attention to it on the way home from work this evening. I found that the car was a little stuttery with the AC on and boost seemed to hit about 500-750rpm later. I don't understand how the engine tuning works - I was easy on the car during the break-in period and it stuttered sometimes, but after opening it up a little more since then it seems to have corrected itself. I am intrigued to see if it does this with the AC on as well. I have barely done 1200 miles so a lot could change still.

I don't really know much about turbos and altitude, other than being told that you can raise the boost pressure safely to account for it (thus giving you sea level power). Further reading has suggested that this will put more strain on the turbo, which makes sense.

@trama - The GBS is really nice and probably my favourite colour on the generation, but to be honest all of the colours seem great on this car! I'm just not 100% sure about the gold rims I have on it right now, but it's fun being different until I choose something else.

I don't think it'll do it with th a/c. It uses extra engine power to turn the compressor and pump on and spin it regardless

Stinkeye member 520

Thank you for the replies! I'm really interested in this car... but I have no idea when I'll get a chance to test drive. I contacted my local dealer.. and this was their response:

" Just so you know the majority of the WRX's we have been getting in and that are incoming have been pre-sold. At the moment we do have a few manual transmission WRXs that are incoming that have not been spoken for. However odds are as we get closer to their eta date there is a good chance someone will put a deposit down on them. I will let you know if we get anything in."

So keep those driving impressions coming! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
    Thank you for the replies! I'm really interested in this car... but I have no idea when I'll get a chance to test drive. I contacted my local dealer.. and this was their response:

" Just so you know the majority of the WRX's we have been getting in and that are incoming have been pre-sold. At the moment we do have a few manual transmission WRXs that are incoming that have not been spoken for. However odds are as we get closer to their eta date there is a good chance someone will put a deposit down on them. I will let you know if we get anything in."

So keep those driving impressions coming! Thanks again.
    I put a refundable deposit on a dealer allocated model before they hit the shores. It came it, I tried it, I bought it. I could have backed out at any time before handing over the cheque. If it's a just a test drive separating you from the car then it doesn't hurt to drop a deposit. You can wait a few days before deciding after the test drive, or just let it go if you need to think about it for longer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.