2015 STI Audio Upgrade how to.

This is a discussion on 2015 STI Audio Upgrade how to. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'd like to upgrade the audio for my STI. I know nothing about upgrading audio whatsoever. Do I need to ...

Cee

2015 STI Audio Upgrade how to.

I'd like to upgrade the audio for my STI. I know nothing about upgrading audio whatsoever. Do I need to upgrade the head unit, speakers, or just buy an amp and sub? I'm not sure what the limitation is, I just know its not very loud, and it sounds terrible. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Listen to your favorite music in your car...the music you know better than anything else. Then figure out what about it doesn't sound right, or sounds like it is lacking in sound. Then figure out how you want to make it sound better...does it need more bass? Does it need improved midrange, etc?

Usually any weak point in a car is going to be the headunit...incredibly underpowered. If the signal from the brain is bad, then it will just get replicated by speakers, amps, etc. So you have to have a better signal before anything which is why upgrading a head unit is usually one of the best first steps. A lot of the time this can be enough of an upgrade for people since the "ok" speakers are now receiving adequate power. From this point now figure out if you want to start upgrading door speakers and adding amps and a sub.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    If the bbase 2015 stereo is like the previous years I would upgrade the HU first and see if the speakers improve. If they begin to sound better then you may just need to get an sub to fill in the rest.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

You change your speakers but you won't get the best out of them without an amp or aftermarket head unit.
    If you want to keep your stock head unit and not lose any steering wheel controls, I would recommend buying a CL441dsp by JL audio. It hooks up to your stock radio and cleans up the sound really good. You can also hook up amps to it if you want.
    From the amps you can hook up component speakers in the front and coaxial speakers in the back doors. You can also hook up another amp for a sub.

Cee
    Is it typically a few month wait before a head unit + harness comes out which supports full steering wheel functions? I've never even looked to replace one in my car before.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cee View Post
    Is it typically a few month wait before a head unit + harness comes out which supports full steering wheel functions? I've never even looked to replace one in my car before.
    There's already a harness and steering wheel adaptor that you can use with an aftermarket HU. It retains all steering wheel functions.

Parts Needed To Install Aftermarket Head Unit In Subaru Impreza/WRX/STI/Forester/Crosstrek

I just purchased my 20-pin harness from SVXdc, I know a few other people have already done this install on the 2015 wrx/sti.