Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 WRX STI 1-Week Recap

7K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  asindhidude 
#1 ·
I've had this car for a little over a week and I'm up to 600 miles. I'm in love with this car. It is incredibly fun to drive and I haven't really pushed it over 4k RPM. I'm also pleasantly impressed with how many people actually know what the STI is. I've had numerous neighbors and friends come over to ask questions and tell me how much they've always envied the STI. I don't think this many conversations would have happened had I bought the Q50.

PROS:
  • IMO this car looks so sexy. I love walking out to my car and seeing it sitting there and knowing that's MY car.
  • The car is much more smooth than I had expected. I thought my girlfriend was going to be whiny about it being bumpy but she hasn't said a word yet. I don't mind it at all and this is my daily driver.
  • If I drive super conservative I can top 24 MPGs
  • The looks & head nods I get are a plus.
  • I love the tires on this car. They are so damn sticky! It's going to take me a while to get used to how much grip this car has.

CONS:
  • The stereo & speakers are crap. I can crank it to max volume and it isn't even that loud. This will be getting replaced as soon as I figure out what is compatible to retain all the functionality.
  • The seatbelt warning goes off if I set anything in the passenger seat. Even my iPad mini.
  • If I drive super conservative I can ONLY top 24 MPGs
  • The numerous MPG read outs all over the place. Considering this car gets a pretty horrendous MPG, why do they throw it in your face!? You have Current Active MPG, MPG this trip, MPG since fill up, MPG since trip reset(I think), and an overall Average MPG(I think).

I have no idea what this screen is for. Can anyone explain? The tires are green when driving. Is it showing temperature? Grip? Air Pressure? Also what's the 0 sec to 30 sec at the bottom?
Electronics Display device Technology Multimedia Signage

What are you guys getting for peak boost? I got 15.6 without really pushing it.
Speedometer Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument Odometer

This car loves the rain!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru

The gas bills suck! My gas costs are probably double what they used to be.
Text Vehicle registration plate Display device Auto part Technology

Other Gauges:
Car Vehicle Auto part Technology Odometer

Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Car Measuring instrument

Electronics Technology Multimedia Electronic device Font

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have the WRX so I cant speak for MPG and I have been able to get an avg of 23mpg per tank and at times (at 60 mph) get 32mpg while cruising the highway.

However, I agree that the speakers are horrible. I think they do that so that we upgrade to the ones they sell.

One thing I noticed is that they are way louder when playing through my iPhone or the FM radio than they are when using XM radio. When using XM i can bring it to 40 and its not that loud, yet on another source I keep it 35 or ill start to hear distortion.

As for how much it costs to fill up. What did you drive before? I had a Power Wagon that got 8-10 that i traded for my jeep. I then traded my Tacoma for the WRX so this car gets great mpg as far as a sports sedan goes imo.

How do you like the STI?

Edit:
Im still lost as all hell on how many different readouts the car has.

Thats pretty good gas mileage as well in my opinion. Im stuck in traffic so much that i could only hope to break 25 mpg a tank lol

#3 ·
CONS:
[*]The numerous MPG read outs all over the place. Considering this car gets a pretty horrendous MPG, why do they throw it in your face!? You have Current Active MPG, MPG this trip, MPG since fill up, MPG since trip reset(I think), and an overall Average MPG(I think).
Thankfully you can change what shows up in the 3 gauge display. I currently have oil temp, boost, and avg. MPG.

#7 ·
I have no idea what this screen is for. Can anyone explain? The tires are green when driving. Is it showing temperature? Grip? Air Pressure? Also what's the 0 sec to 30 sec at the bottom?
This is the traction control readout. Individual tires will light up yellow, then red depending on the amount of slippage detected. The 0-30sec on the bottom will show yellow/red to indicate the amount of slippage occurring and at what point in the last 30 seconds. I've only been able to light it up in yellow ONCE and that was under hard driving.

#8 ·
My screen lights up all 4 tires red/yellow every time I pull out of my lopsided driveway. It feels as if one of the tires is lifting off the ground and that causes the screen to wig out.

#9 ·
Yea i switched it today and it looks like an oil can symbol merged with a temp gauge while the coolant temp on the dash looks like waves of water merged with a temp gauge so im pretty sure its the oil temp.

So i now show oil temp, boost gauge, and my current avg mpg

The roads were pretty wet today and i switched it to the traction monitor (not sure what to call it) and noticed it change colors a few times as i took corners or accelerated faster than i should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.