Gas Station runs out of Premium .... What to do next?

This is a discussion on Gas Station runs out of Premium .... What to do next? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I recently convinced my fiance to join the Subaru Family with her ...

Gas Station runs out of Premium .... What to do next? (IN A STATE OF EMERGENCY)

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I recently convinced my fiance to join the Subaru Family with her new Forester XT and I with my WRX. Over the weekend an interesting topic came up. Since both of our cars uses Premium gasoline, What to do when the gas station runs out of Premium I'm saying this because summer is coming and with it hurricane season as well. We lived in NJ and we are fortunate enough to find Premium fuel almost everywhere because I feel that NJ people are cheap and the last thing that runs out is Premium.

But couple of years ago Sandy (the storm) hit us Hard and it was very difficult to find gas (it took us almost 2 weeks if it wasn't more to get all the gasoline grades available). Fortunately at the time she was driving a N/A mercedes and I had a N/A outback sport and i had to fill it with Regular(the only grade available everywhere) with so much pain since I like to baby my cars (I used to put mid grade and/or mix it with premium the car was so happy with it ran so smooth).

I know there are some guys that live in NJ here and some of you might experience an state of Emergency. What did you guys do in this case? Did you guys not drive at all? There is only a limited amount of Gas that we can buy with gallons and stack it in the back yard. I was just wondering this and asking now before it might be too late .
    Last edited by jcfili; 05-05-2014 at 06:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Dont drive the car hard and stay out of boost. Fill with the best you can find. Maybe octane booster might help in a gas rationing situation. Though I wouldn't use it unless needed. I was lucky enough to fill before the storm and didnt need to leave the house. I think Sandy was a very rare situation. A storm like that we had warning ahead of time same with any winter storms. So you would have some time to fill up. If something crazy situation happened to cause something like gas rationing then I would be more worried about that "cough"zombies"cough". Though if I needed to drive I would have siphoned some out of my bike. I would also BOLD stating your not looking to put regular unless you have to this thread could turn into a why put cheap gas in your car bashing if people dont take time to read your question.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Haha, Done. Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't put regular on my car, Never did on other cars (even though they said the car was mean to run regular I feel that is just a way to bring costumers to look at the cars) and I will never do it on my subie. They are such great cars they deserve the best. When I do autocross every now and then I even give my Subie treat by looking for a Sunoco and filling it up with the Highest grade. I usually put gas on BP gas stations I feel that their premium gasoline last longer than an EXON, Mobile and almost the same as SHELLs

I Support ClubWRX
    If premium gas is drained I would be more concerned about having enough food, water, and bullets for my handgun

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    If premium gas is drained I would be more concerned about having enough food, water, and bullets for my handgun
    Not sure why RIOT was the first thing that popped in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jcfili View Post
    I'm new to this forum and I recently convinced my fiance to join the Subaru Family with her new Forester XT and I with my WRX. Over the weekend an interesting topic came up. Since both of our cars uses Premium gasoline, What to do when the gas station runs out of Premium I'm saying this because summer is coming and with it hurricane season as well.
    If you have the FA20DIT (2014+ FXT and 2015 WRX) then you should be able to run any octane (premium is recommended, not required), and as long as you don't hear any knocking you don't have to worry about how you drive them. You will notice a small drop in performance and MPG but there will be no detrimental effect on the engine. If you hear any knocking (could be the quality of gas) then don't run it hard for sure and refill with premium at the first opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Unfortunately when Sandy hit there were people from TRENTON buying gas all the way up here in the north east of NJ (close to NY). In terms of food,water and bullets the stores were really stocked.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you for contacting Subaru Canada Inc.

Subaru Canada recommends using premium fuel in the 2014 Forester 2.0XT Touring and Limited models, however it is not required. If using regular fuel, the Forester will be unable to achieve the advertised fuel economy as well as performance aspects. The Forester will also lose the ability to tow if using regular fuel.

Regrettably, no testing has been performed using regular fuel therefore we are unable to provide the fuel efficiency information if choosing to use regular fuel.

However, we can confirm that using regular fuel will not void your Subaru Canada Warranty.

Thank you again for contacting Subaru Canada.

Respectfully,

Natalie Burton
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Natalie Burton sounds hot...

Come to South Jersey...we had a ton of gas (inland, not shore).

As they said...just stay out of boost as much as possible.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Natalie Burton sounds hot...
    +1'd

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk