Stock 2014 WRX rod bearing failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 2014 WRX rod bearing failure within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cliffs; -Stock 2014 wrx -12,500 miles -failed rod bearing -warranty to rescue Took it in this morning after an awful ...

Cliffs;

-Stock 2014 wrx
    -12,500 miles
    -failed rod bearing
    -warranty to rescue

Took it in this morning after an awful tapping started yesterday. Got a call back this afternoon that it was indeed rod bearing #4, and they'll be replacing short block and at least one head.

Completely stock (except axle back muffler delete) with 12,500 ish miles. They asked for oil chance receipts (which I had in glovebox, 4000 and 9100miles) and asked if I ever had a tune on it (which I didn't). They assured me that they can tell if ecu was tuned, but I have nothing to hide. Glad I didn't get the accessport I so wanted to get! Anyways, manager said everything looks good for warranty covering obviously.

Mind is just blown what caused it. I don't drive like a grandma, but I'm not an idiot either. This isn't common is it? Factory defect?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd guess factory defect I suppose. A new car shouldn't fail like that, and the 14s haven't been known to fail like some of the 09s did for example. Ask specifically what caused the failure, if any oil passages were clogged, if a part was faulty, etc. They might know but only post-mortem.

In any case it's great news you've got receipts! I suspect the "we can tell the ECU is tuned or not" line was their attempt to break you under interogation. Good thing your car is stock in any case.

You know, I've been braying like a jackass for over a decade now, carrying on about "keep dated receipts" and "follow the owner's manual to the letter" and "use authentic parts" and all that, but I sometimes get the sense it was all for nought. Then I drink a bunch of beer and that sense goes out the window anyway -- along with all the other senses I get.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd guess factory defect I suppose. A new car shouldn't fail like that, and the 14s haven't been known to fail like some of the 09s did for example. Ask specifically what caused the failure, if any oil passages were clogged, if a part was faulty, etc. They might know but only post-mortem.

In any case it's great news you've got receipts! I suspect the "we can tell the ECU is tuned or not" line was their attempt to break you under interogation. Good thing your car is stock in any case.

You know, I've been braying like a jackass for over a decade now, carrying on about "keep dated receipts" and "follow the owner's manual to the letter" and "use authentic parts" and all that, but I sometimes get the sense it was all for nought. Then I drink a bunch of beer and that sense goes out the window anyway -- along with all the other senses I get.

Yeah this is the first time I've kept receipts on a car lol. I'll find out more about the cause when I go pick it up. They said hopefully by Friday

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    Yeah this is the first time I've kept receipts on a car lol.
    I keep a binder organized chronologically. Extremely useful as you've found out. Even if the odds are 1 in 1000, there's always that 1000th time...

I'll find out more about the cause when I go pick it up. They said hopefully by Friday
    Great. I have to wonder what went wrong in a literally new car. Meanwhile have they set you up with a loaner or a rental? If not, don't hesitate to ask for one.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    What oil and filter have you been running?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I keep a binder organized chronologically. Extremely useful as you've found out. Even if the odds are 1 in 1000, there's always that 1000th time...

Great. I have to wonder what went wrong in a literally new car. Meanwhile have they set you up with a loaner or a rental? If not, don't hesitate to ask for one.
    Yeah rocking a Hyundai sonata lol

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    What oil and filter have you been running?
    Castrol synthetic, not sure on filter. I have been taking it to a lube and go place recommended by a local guy here.

Talked to the service manager today. The plan was to have it done today. Called him this morning to see where they where at on it. Said it's torn down, but they're still stilling around waiting for approval from Subaru, because anytime they have to replace an WRX/ STI motor, Subaru makes then jump thru hoops. He said he's definitely on my side tho. Everything on my end is in check.

Asked him what they think the cause was, and he said it had the signs of oil starvation, but they were just as stumped as me....

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the update. My plans of new larger oil pan and real pickup tube are sounding less whacked now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    My plans of new larger oil pan and real pickup tube are sounding less whacked now.

Haha strong username to post content correlation
    Last edited by kh202; 05-09-2014 at 05:30 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I am kinda whacked about the topic. I am still curious on the oil filter. Not suspecting anything nasty just want to know if aftermarket low PSID bypass type.

I Support ClubWRX
    That sucks you have the issue but glad they will take care of it.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    Castrol synthetic, not sure on filter. I have been taking it to a lube and go place recommended by a local guy here.
    Need to be extremely careful going to a "lube and go" place. Not saying they aren't reputable, they just might not know Subies well. What oil filter did they use and did it have a crush washer? I wonder how Castrol has done on UOA's.

Edit: Just saw you didn't know what filter. Should only use OEM filters or one that you know has the correct bypass at 23PSI. New Wix filter for Subaru Applications - 23 psi's | Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    Need to be extremely careful going to a "lube and go" place. Not saying they aren't reputable, they just might not know Subies well. What oil filter did they use and did it have a crush washer? I wonder how Castrol has done on UOA's.

Edit: Just saw you didn't know what filter. Should only use OEM filters or one that you know has the correct bypass at 23PSI. New Wix filter for Subaru Applications - 23 psi's | Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Again, I don't know what kind of oil filter

Several years back I had a quick lube place strip my oil drain. I had to get a new pan. Never been to another quick lube since. I go to the dealer, my mechanic or I do it myself.
    Glad the dealer is taking care of you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast