09 or 13?

This is a discussion on 09 or 13? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Should I get an 09 sti with 57k miles or a 13 wrx with 2k. Any answer will be very ...

09 or 13?

Should I get an 09 sti with 57k miles or a 13 wrx with 2k. Any answer will be very appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm looking to make it a low 12 high 11 dd.

I drive about 4-6k miles a year.

Drive both and figure out which one you like better.

If you're trying to build a drag car, there's better out there. If you're just dragging, the transmission on the WRX isn't the best option. The STI transmission is much more stout. However you're wasting the potential of everything else that comes in an STI (suspension, brakes, etc.)...so again I say, drive both and figure out which one you like more.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

If you're looking to go straight and fast just get a used mustang gt. with few mods and less money you'll be better off.

I just wanted to give a relevance of quickness. So much quarter mile hate. Damn.

Where do you sense hate from? Mikie13's advise is straight foward and good advise. Plus, you didnt really give us much info here, besides the fact that you want to hit low 12's or high 11's in the quarter mile. In which, the advise given is good advise.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 02Subaru View Post
    I just wanted to give a relevance of quickness. So much quarter mile hate. Damn.

No quarter mile hate. You didn't specify the relevance in the original post.

I used to run quarter miles in my first STI a lot. Best I ever got was a 12.73 at 106mph...with a 1.60 60ft time. Its fun and definitely a rush...but the car was so much more and better than for just drags which is why I suggested what I did. Now it'd still be fun, but just not worth it with a weaker 5spd transmission since launching has potential to kill drivetrains.

Plus when it comes to daily driving, a drag time has no relevance other than launching from a redlight to the next redlight which isn't much of a driving experience. The turbo spool and power curve during certain situations...the ability to get into and out of corners means so much more with cars like these.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Drive both and figure out which one you like better.

If you're trying to build a drag car, there's better out there. If you're just dragging, the transmission on the WRX isn't the best option. The STI transmission is much more stout. However you're wasting the potential of everything else that comes in an STI (suspension, brakes, etc.)...so again I say, drive both and figure out which one you like more.
    This 100%. The differentials in the STi are much more effective at putting power to the ground as well, which is highly beneficial during the launch and 60'.

If the quarter-mile is your priority, I would strongly suggest against a WRX. I would urge you to consider a good RWD platform like an F-body Camaro or Trans-am or a 6.0L GTO. These cars will make gobs of power with basic bolt-ons and are much cheaper than a used STi. You will spend a LOT of money getting a WRX into the 11s.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'm looking to get into autocross. I'm sorry for acting ignorantly. I just wanted to use it as reference.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Subaru View Post
    I'm looking to get into autocross. I'm sorry for acting ignorantly. I just wanted to use it as reference.

Don't get so defensive! No one is attacking you.

An 11 second WRX/STi will be an awful car in Autocross. If Autocross is your focus, I'd consider an STi over a WRX since they compete in the same class for the GRs IIRC (can someone confirm this?). Or you may want to consider an older 2.0L WRX which competed in STX.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Don't get so defensive! No one is attacking you.

An 11 second WRX/STi will be an awful car in Autocross. If Autocross is your focus, I'd consider an STi over a WRX since they compete in the same class for the GRs IIRC (can someone confirm this?). Or you may want to consider an older 2.0L WRX which competed in STX.
    He's right 11 secs will be a terrible auto cross car. If your primary goal is to drag, I would get an sti. If your primary goal is just a nice dd, I would still get an sti lol. I'm kinda biased though. I've had both a wrx and an sti though.
    A car is only as good as its driver