Exhaust question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exhaust question within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I decided i want the car to be louder and really don't care if its super loud. What would sound ...

Exhaust question

I decided i want the car to be louder and really don't care if its super loud.

What would sound better?

Replacing both of the mufflers with one of these
    Flowmaster OUTLAW RACE MUFFLERS

Or taking the mufflers completely off and adding one of those before the split so that i still have a muffler but i retain dual exhaust. Therefore, completely legal since i still have a muffler

I like then dual exhaust look so I'm sticking with it. I want this car to be loud as hell and would like to know which one would be the loudest setup.

Thanks everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are looking for zero reduction in sound, bring the car to an exhaust shop and have the take the mufflers out and weld in straight pipes. A popular exhaust (if you don't mind spending some coin) is the Nameless muffler delete (retains the quad exhaust). If you haven't driven in a car with no mufflers I would recommend it. It is cool at first, but gets old very quickly. Not trying to discourage you, rather just warn you!

Good luck!
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 05-05-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    ... just want you!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    lol whoops! Fixered

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Not a big fan of no mufflers...But I would do what has already been said. At least he Nameless System has some kind of resale value for when you inevitably want mufflers again.

The reason i showed the above link is because its legally a muffler in the state of Tx, yet does not have a dual chamber and is one continuous piece of pipe (with a slightly increased diameter).

I had this muffler on other vehicles and it sounds the same as having a straight pipe.

So my question is: should i replace the two mufflers with one of these (ill then have two mufflers)

Or

Should i put one of these before the Y pipe and then cut the originals off

Either way ill be keeping the quad tips.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    The reason i showed the above link is because its legally a muffler in the state of Tx, yet does not have a dual chamber and is one continuous piece of pipe (with a slightly increased diameter).

I had this muffler on other vehicles and it sounds the same as having a straight pipe.

So my question is: should i replace the two mufflers with one of these (ill then have two mufflers)

Or

Should i put one of these before the Y pipe and then cut the originals off

Either way ill be keeping the quad tips.
    The muffler that you posted from Flowmaster sure looks a lot like the axel back delete that Nameless Performance makes for 11-14. 2011-2014 STi/WRX Sedan Quad Tip AxleBack Muffler Replacement w/ 5" Mufflers - Nameless Performance . I'm not sure exactly what year your car is but what I'm saying is that for $450 you can have something that bolts right up to your existing stock system. Sounds a lot easier.

If you add just one of these before the Y then it wont do much at all, as it is practically a very small resonator.

In the end, it's all up to you. If you want your car straight piped then by all means straight pipe it. One man's opinions may vary quite a bit from another. But for what it sounds like you want, an axle back delete would be perfect for you to start with. Now, for you, it's just a matter of deciding between a premade simple installation product, or taking it to a shop and having someone run you a custom exhaust. Depending on what you have done at the custom exhaust shop it could be cheaper than the product from Nameless or it could be more expensive. But there is only one way to find out.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I have a '15 and not sure that the '14 deletes will fit.

The deletes don't look like they have a muffler so will not pass a visual inspection, yet installing the flowmaster will indeed allow me to pass visual inspection since i still have a muffler (in the legal sense).

As far as placing it before the Y pipe is concerned, how would it sound if i did that and deleted the resonator

Edit-not worried about cost since the guy that owns the shop is an old friend of mine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
    I have a '15 and not sure that the '14 deletes will fit.

The deletes don't look like they have a muffler so will not pass a visual inspection, yet installing the flowmaster will indeed allow me to pass visual inspection since i still have a muffler (in the legal sense).

As far as placing it before the Y pipe is concerned, how would it sound if i did that and deleted the resonator

Edit-not worried about cost since the guy that owns the shop is an old friend of mine.
    I mean if you did that and deleted the mufflers in the rear then it would be quite a bit louder. Now, in regards to the stock resonator and the Flowmaster being swapped out, I think the Flowmaster should be louder as it looks to be quite a bit smaller than the resonator. This is all just speculation at this point because it's a 2015. I guess you can try it and if it doesn't work or pass then try something else. Not very many people have much experience with the 2015 exhausts yet so trial and error is your best bet. Try one and if you don't like it try another.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Looks like the plan. Ill be heading over there shortly and will be stating "I want the loudest legal set up possible," which will hopefully get results.

I like to be able to hear my car start from inside the house. That and a few loaded guns around the house make for a cheap security system here in Tx lol

Went by there and talked to him.

He said it would be more beneficial to wait till they come out with the deletes for the '15 and then replace the resonator with a bullet style muffler in order to comply with the law regarding a muffler. More bang for my buck that way he say.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.