Computer box to adjust gas mileage?

This is a discussion on Computer box to adjust gas mileage? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Someone a while back was showing me this thing they plug in under the dashboard of their STI which can ...

Cee

Computer box to adjust gas mileage?

Someone a while back was showing me this thing they plug in under the dashboard of their STI which can adjust the cars computer. He said he can boost gas mileage upwards of 5 mpg. Does anyone know what this thing might have been, and if it's advised to use something like this? I'm getting a 2015 STI soon and I was considering getting something similar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe an Access Port? A good tune can improve your fuel economy (if you can keep your foot out of the gas).. but it's generally not a good idea to run an "economy" map.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is an economy map on the Cobb access port which is a handheld device that plugs in to your obdII. I personally will never use this map because it limits your boost and acceleration which IMO is dangerous. I control my gas mileage with my right foot

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Cee
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    There is an economy map on the Cobb access port which is a handheld device that plugs in to your obdII. I personally will never use this map because it limits your boost and acceleration which IMO is dangerous. I control my gas mileage with my right foot
    Heh good point. I used to drive an old 5-speed Hyundai Accent. I got great gas mileage, way above what it was rated. I'm sure I could do the same after the initial "HOLY **** 300+ HP!!" wears off.

Like these guys have said... Its really based off your Right foot and Heart rate... LOL. I do a lot of "zippy" driving mainly around town and i average 21.3. So its how bad you want to boost to get good gas mileage...

WTF are you driving a WRX for if you're worried about gas mileage? Go get a Ford Focus or something.

I Support ClubWRX
    Let's keep open minds guys, the forum should welcome everyone and their views.

I support any effort to decrease consumption.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I got an Ultragae it doesn't adjust anything but is another monitor to help get more info I you were to try to hypermile
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've gotten as much as 32mpg averaged over an entire tank of mixed driving just by controlling my right foot.. no need for a special map.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^I've seen 31mpg over an entire tank at one point as well. Just need to control yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieRex View Post
    WTF are you driving a WRX for if you're worried about gas mileage? Go get a Ford Focus or something.
    Just because one drives a car with balls doesn't mean one must drive like he/she is on a racetrack every minute. Especially with a car like the WRX/STI where the difference between bad mileage and decent mileage depends solely your right foot... this isn't a Hummer where you are basically stuck with terrible mileage.

After I went TP stage 1, I hit a high of 34 mpg( no boost), but I average 27-30 on my 45 mile one way commute to work.