Driving Impessions and Observations on 2015 WRX - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Driving Impessions and Observations on 2015 WRX within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by josnroh PARTY TIME. Sweet!...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    PARTY TIME.
    Sweet!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Final driving impressons after getting on the power.
    This car is quick enough to be fun as a day to day driver.It really does not feel that much faster than my 2.0L bugeye which I estimate had 255 HP.It does spool up at much lower RPM so it feels faster around town,but that extra 300 pounds chews up any big performance difference.I could run high 13 sec. quarter mile times with the wagon,and most magazine tests of the '15 are at mid 13s.So really not much quicker than my wagon,or the 2.5L.
    The car feels like a bigger,heavier car from behind the wheel,although its dimensions are not that much different.
    That suspension,however,is just perfect.Rock solid without being too jarring,great road feel from the wheel,quicker ratio steering is sharp and spot on.Really no body roll to speak of,this car just flies out of a corner.My bug handled almost as good,with just a little more body roll,but to get that I spent a good deal of money on suspension mods.
    Six speed tranny is one thing the WRX has needed since day one,so thumbs up there.Throws are short and positive,clutch takeup is good.
    Overall,a nice performance car for the money,my biggest complaint is the car needs about 40 more HP to go along with the great suspension.
    Last edited by josnroh; 05-05-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Completely agree. These cars a pretty quick and i love the suspension as well. This car is glued to the damn road it seems. Lightweight doors, trunk, and hood keeps the center of gravity nice and low. I have yet to experience any type of body roll and i try not to slow down much before a corner if the streets are empty.

I had to drive using the paddles and Sport Sharp today so that i didn't feel like a loser though .

The handling of my 2015 WRX has far exceeded my expectations. After reading all the reviews and watching all the pre-launch videos I bought it right off the showroom floor...without ever driving one! I was miserable in my 2013 GLI which had terrible axle tramp and understeer - so basically the car couldn't accelerate or corner. And the greenhouse was very closed in feeling with terrible sight lines. The dealer gave me a very good deal on the trade and I jumped! I've been smiling ever since!!

No matter what I throw at the WRX it just digs in and goes. It launches without any drama. It brakes hard with linear feel and release (though I am looking for track pads - if anyone has any suggestions please). And the cornering is unreal. Turn in is crisp and immediate. There is no understeer to speak of. When I apply power on offramps the WRX just digs in and I can feel all four wheels pulling me through the turn. Lifting tightens the line nicely. This car has very good grip and is easy to balance.

Comparing the WRX to my track prepared E36 M3 - the WRX feels light and changes direction much quicker. I spent thousands on suspension mods on the M3 to dial out body roll and understeer in slow corners. The WRX corners flat out of the box. I it handles slower corners better than the M3. I will have to get it on the track before I can comment about how it handles high speed corners but the car seems so planted I expect great things!
    Tom
    2015 WRX
    1998 E36 M3 Track Prepared / Street Legal
    Instructor - BMW CCA

So I ordered my 2015 WRX last week. Being told that it wont get here till August!!! This cant be right, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CajunWRX View Post
    So I ordered my 2015 WRX last week. Being told that it wont get here till August!!! This cant be right, right?

Depends on where your from. Here in Houston, you can pull up and drive out the same day. Where are you from?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunWRX View Post

Sadly that sounds right. There are a lot of orders for the 2015s and Subaru recently throttled WRX/STi production to meet demand for Outback/Forester. Hopefully you get the car sooner!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

this is my first subie and i am truly impressed. my previous car was a bmw 128i and that was fun, albeit slow and sloshy around turns and corners. it had a lot of body roll compared to the wrx and the engine was NO WHERE NEAR as lively as this one. (and this is after i chipped it/intake/exhaust which did help A LOT too..)

it's really no comparison to me. the wrx is lightyears ahead of the 128i in fun factor as well as performance. they really nailed the handling. i owned a 2002 e46 bmw for 2 years and dare i say the 2015 wrx reminds me of the plantedness that it had cornering. but the m3 did have more precise steering and feedback . it was a rougher ride, sometimes too much. the wrx? really just the perfect balance of roughness for a daily driver.

perhaps, if i'm being really really critical, i'd say i'd like for the steering to be a little more tightened but this is NOT a complaint.

i'm in love with this car and i don't have any experience with wrx/sti's at all. this car is so good that i will be trying all the next model years and either keeping this one or upgrading to a newer one even when i can afford a more expensive car. just can't beat that rawness. my old m3 had it and i missed it everyday.

and yes. the stereo stinks. i mean, STINKS compared to all my upgraded audio/nav in the BMWs. but i don't care. i bought a garmin and id rather listen to the car than some garbage on the radio. the premium stereos i had just made bad music sound good and withdrew me from the whole driving experience anyway.

getting the '15 wrx really does feel like a return to the rawness of my old m3.
    Last edited by gconnors; 05-07-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by gconnors View Post
    but the m3 did have more precise steering and feedback
    Honestly this is due to the movement from hydraulic assist to electronic assist. I felt the same way: having driven my STi and then hopping into the WRX, I was a bit disappointed by the steering. The WRX EPAS system is much improved over other EPAS systems I've driven, however. Sadly, the industry is moving to electronic assist and soon hydraulic assist will be a thing of the past.

Facebook me here

Yea not a fan of electronic assist either, yet every damn car now days has it. Pretty annoying really.

One thing i have noticed now that i am getting closer to the "starting line" (1k mark) is that the car is loosening up a bit. I was going 75 (5 over) down the highway and the car didn't seem like it was hugging the road like it used to. It was extremely winding today so that could be part of the reason but I'm not sure. It was fine once i got off the highway and started going 50 (posted speed limit). Even the steering felt lighter than usual.

zax
    IMO this is a classic example of getting used to the car.

This has been reported many times before... "My car used to feel much faster, what's going on?" In reality, your butt dyno has probably been recalibrated

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    IMO this is a classic example of getting used to the car.

This has been reported many times before... "My car used to feel much faster, what's going on?" In reality, your butt dyno has probably been recalibrated
    LMAO!

This might sound wrong, and I reserve the right to retract the statement once I start getting into throwing the car around a bit more... I actually like the electric steering!

Its not bad but i just hate having so much crap in the car relying on electric crap. One short or blown fuse and your steering goes to crap while going 80mph. Yea that sounds real fun lol

I don't think any engineers would leave it that simple to lose the steering. I'm sure it has some backup system just in case. The only time I've ever heard any complaint on a car with electric steering is when the battery was dead, got jump started, but doesn't have enough power to let the steering wheel go to lock. It'll just kind of bounce itself before it gets there

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    Overall,a nice performance car for the money,my biggest complaint is the car needs about 40 more HP to go along with the great suspension.
    ^This is spot on. I also think the stock tune is just poor - a stage 1 map could make a night a day difference as long as the turbo size is sufficient.