2014 WRX Towing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX Towing? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, Long time since I've posted, but I am having issues finding anyone that has towed with a 14' ...

2014 WRX Towing?

Hey all,

Long time since I've posted, but I am having issues finding anyone that has towed with a 14' WRX, now I know that Subaru doesn't list it, but from also what I've read a lot of owner's tow anyway. I just bought a trailer hitch and am planning on towing a 300lb trailer along with a street bike, totaling about 720 lbs. Just curious if anyone has experience with this on a new WRX???

Thanks,

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no way dont do it
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Thank's for the advice....

I wouldn't worry about the weight. If the trailer is loaded correctly most of the weight should be supported by the trailer axle and very little by the hitch itself. One of the guys at my buddies Suby shop was putting a hitch on his STI for that exact reason. He is going to be towing his Yamaha FJ1300 or whatever it is called these days with it. That bike by itself is 500-600 pounds.

I guarantee towing 700 pounds puts less strain on your car then putting four fat people in it, or four full grown ass men.

Pulling 4 fat people has a lot more strain on the drivetrain (AWD...center diff, rear diff, etc.) than people sitting in the car, more evenly spread out among the suspension...

Subaru doesn't recommend towing because of this.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Pulling 4 fat people has a lot more strain on the drivetrain (AWD...center diff, rear diff, etc.) than people sitting in the car, more evenly spread out among the suspension...

Subaru doesn't recommend towing because of this.
    I disagree about the drivetrain strain as far as the AWD system goes. The bugeye was factory-rated with a 2000lb towing capacity, and the newer car's aren't much different other than horsepower. I think it has more to do with the rear suspension and associated chassis points unable to cope with a cantilevered load past the rear wheels (the trailer tongue weight). My guess is the lower, stiffer suspension on the later WRXs can't handle even a small tongue weight.

This has always been an issue with Subarus, even the ones that are rated for towing. My Outback has a modest 3000lb towing capacity, but a maximum tongue weight of just 250lbs. People do tow considerable travel trailers with Outbacks, but usually install stiffer rear suspension and transmission coolers.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

You sure that 200 lbs tongue weight is worse than throwing a couple of kegs in the trunk? Pulling four fat people absolutely does not put more strain on any of the driveline components. The trailer supports 90% of the load, the car really just does the starting and stopping.

I'm not here to start a pissing match, but with that logic my sisters Dually should of exploded by now because that thing was always in 4WD whenever towing horses through some muddy farm or wherever. Subaru likely doesn't recommend towing anything because in the brilliance of the US someone will inevitably load their trailer up with 5,000 pounds of crap, blow a clutch or fry the brakes, crash, then sue Subaru and win. If I'm not mistaken most of if not all of the older WRX's were rated for some sort of towing capacity.

According to a quick googley search linked over to our friends on Nasioc, Subaru Australia was listing the WRX towing capacity at around 1,400 lbs without trailer brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    I'm not here to start a pissing match, now excuse me while I micturate on design philosophy
    FTFY

Touche. I guess a Forrester/Outback relation would have been more apt due to similar drivtrains. Oops.

You could always call your local Subaru Dealership and ask. You should be okay.

Scotty NO !

(Just kidding I have no idea)

Well thanks for the real advice, I decided to go with just a single motorcycle trailer, weighs 275 lbs. bike weighs 420 lbs. and fuel, gear, tents etc, I am looking at an extra 900 lbs. total. I am not too concerned about it, just wanted some real life towing experiences with a new WRX.

You should be fine. Just make sure you break correctly.
    The Wrx doesn't have great breaks as is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't want to steer you wrong one way or another, but if it were me, I'd think that if the tongue weight isn't too bad, then you'd be fine. If you're going by the letter of the law for a single axle trailer, at least 10% of the weight of the load needs to be on the tongue weight, but no more than 15%. Also, drive slow! Fish tailing isn't as easily correctable on a 3200lb vehicle, and I'd hate to hear you got in a wreck.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Is your car.. do what you want.. But the people who designed your car might know something you don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast