Bought my 1st wrx need help on mods
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Bought my 1st wrx need help on mods within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok I just bought a 08 wrx hatch, I got an amazing deal on it so I couldn't pass it ...

Bought my 1st wrx need help on mods

Ok I just bought a 08 wrx hatch, I got an amazing deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. I've always heard they were extremely sensitive and difficult to work on. What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a reliable, quick, everyday driver that can out run a GT Mustang if needed. I'd like to have a full cat back exhaust, intake, and lower the car slightly, from there on I'm lost. I make enough money to where buying the right parts isn't the issue I just don't know what to buy. Please help me spend my money lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From the research I have done look into definitely look into a Cobb Accessport then intake, exhaust, and downpipe. That will get you to stage 2 and pretty quick. All you need for stage 2 is the tuner and downpipe but i feel the intake and exhaust are nice touches as well. If your going to lower it I would also say look into some sway bars, endlinks, and strut bars (alot of people say these arent worth it). With modding the performance and suspension you are looking at almost a whole different car.

Go stage 2, best bang for the buck HP wise. I just put my 2011 to stage 2 last week and it feels like an entirely different car. The comment above is pretty much right on the dot. Stage 2 is reliable and will increase your hp and torque a good bit over stock. Unfortunately the 08's were the odd ball in the newer generation wrx's as they still use the td04 turbo. However, after going stage 2, you might want to consider uprading your turbo to the vf52, which is what the newer (09-14) wrx's have. The vf52 will increase your power alot over the td04 and is a direct bolt on for your car. However, if you go that route you will need a pro-tune. But a pro-tune with the vf52 turbo and supporting mods will get you close to the 300whp range.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Also, you cant just throw an intake on these cars without a tune. An accesport will remedy this. If you want an intake, might as well get the downpipe and accessport and go the stage 2 route. Some top brands IMO to look into are: invidia, perrin, grimmspeed, cobb, and nameless. There are others out there, but these seem to be the most popular on our cars and have great fitment and no issues.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

I Support ClubWRX

If you have an 08 i would try to find a 2009+ WRX turbo and toss it on with a tune. No point in going stage 2 with a 2008 just to be almost as fast as a stock 2009. I haven't looked around but i am sure there are plenty of 2009+ turbos around (ebay?) then get it tuned and now you have something faster than a stage 2 2008 with room to improve.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    If you have an 08 i would try to find a 2009+ WRX turbo and toss it on with a tune. No point in going stage 2 with a 2008 just to be almost as fast as a stock 2009. I haven't looked around but i am sure there are plenty of 2009+ turbos around (ebay?) then get it tuned and now you have something faster than a stage 2 2008 with room to improve.
    +1

My girlfriend bought a stage 2 '08 wrx.

I have a 2010 wrx stage 1. They are equal in power since the '08's have a smaller turbo.

So in a nutshell...

2008 stage 2 = 2009 & up stage 1.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    I agree with you. Like i said above, the vf52 will be a great upgrade. But IMO he would be better off going stage 2 first. And the reason i say that is because even with the stock td04 he will be making alot more power over stock and then when he got the money for the vf52 all he would have to do is go get a protune, and he will already have the rest. If he did the turbo first he would have to get a tune twice, once for the turbo, then again when he buys the downpipe and other mods. He can run the cobb stage 2 until he got the turbo, then only have to get a pro-tune once.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Thanks for all the info, I'm literally lost when it comes to these cars. I've had several Hondas so this is a whole new ball game. If I were to go to the turbo upgrade would I need to change the fuel pump and get a fuel rail for it too? I almost didn't buy the car but it only had 17000 miles on it and I got it for 16000 so since I stole the car I figure on sinking money into it. I just don't want to loose the reliability of a solid every day driver

I would recommend swapping out for a VF52 as well. Although you do not NEED a protune. I have an 08' and went OTS with Torqued Performance and bought Eric's 2.52 map. Car performs well and he is willing to help with any issues you might have. I was stage 2 on the stock TD04 for around 20k miles and loved it, I got a steal on a VF52 and figured I would swap it out good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kycats View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I'm literally lost when it comes to these cars. I've had several Hondas so this is a whole new ball game. If I were to go to the turbo upgrade would I need to change the fuel pump and get a fuel rail for it too? I almost didn't buy the car but it only had 17000 miles on it and I got it for 16000 so since I stole the car I figure on sinking money into it. I just don't want to loose the reliability of a solid every day driver
    Your fuel pump would fine. Probably wouldnt hurt upgrading your injectors, but you dont need anything crazy like 750cc or 1000cc. Pick up a set of injectors from an 09+ wrx or sti. But find a good tuner in your area, call him and let him know your intentions and he can better advise you on what he recommends.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Also, you would not need a new fuel rail system for your car. The vf52 is a direct bolt on replacement for your car. Essentially bolt it up, run the lines, tune it and youre set. Upgrades I would recommend along with this turbo are: turbo back exhaust, cai, 09-14 wrx or sti injectors, new turbo heat shield, accessport, vf52 turbo, and a protune. Here is a link to the turbo, this is brand new obviously, but check out the classifieds on here and on nasioc, these turbos often find their way to the classifieds after they are swapped out for a turbo upgrade.

Subaru OEM IHI VF52 Turbocharger Subaru WRX 2009-2013 14411AA800 at RallySportDirect.com
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Research research research. A 5 minute write up in this thread will not give you a positive answer to these question especially with little information known about the car. Start a build thread so people can follow your build and give their insight to your build. First I'd do a lot of research if you know very little about these cars there's plenty of ways to accomplish a goal power level which you didnt state either. Just remember a WRX is not in any way a drag car a WRX is already faster than a stang in the corners that's where the wrx shines. (handling)

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Go stage 2, best bang for the buck HP wise. I just put my 2011 to stage 2 last week and it feels like an entirely different car. The comment above is pretty much right on the dot. Stage 2 is reliable and will increase your hp and torque a good bit over stock. Unfortunately the 08's were the odd ball in the newer generation wrx's as they still use the td04 turbo. However, after going stage 2, you might want to consider uprading your turbo to the vf52, which is what the newer (09-14) wrx's have. The vf52 will increase your power alot over the td04 and is a direct bolt on for your car. However, if you go that route you will need a pro-tune. But a pro-tune with the vf52 turbo and supporting mods will get you close to the 300whp range.
    He wont need injectors, pump or bigger intercooler? Just curious? Since most swaps need that and its not just a "direct bolt on" usually.

It is a direct bolt on with nothing else NEEDED. I have had no problems, although... yes, I would recommend getting an aftermarket TMIC and/or fuel pump like you said. But it is NOT required and i'm still running the stock TMIC/Pump. It does require an aftermarket down pipe although, according to Eric from TP to use his map. I just did a couple of data logs and sent them in and apparently everything is in spec. Much cheaper than a pro-tune. Down pipe might not be needed if you don't go OTS, but i'm not sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.