My first subie!

This is a discussion on My first subie! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright! It's been decided! I get my first Subie in three months time. Parents agreed that when i graduate highschool, ...

My first subie!

Alright! It's been decided! I get my first Subie in three months time.
    Parents agreed that when i graduate highschool, i get a new car. (Well, new-er than my current POS) and i told them a i wanted a subaru. They said if i can find one for cheap they'll split the cost.
    My cousin happens to have a 2003 WRX sedan that hes (going) to sell when i graduate. $4500.
    What im asking is what you all think i should do to it first? It's bone stock with some rust damage (which i can fix at work) and a few dents. Silver paint. Fairly nice condition interior.
    Any suggestion? Ideas? anything? thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maintenance. How many miles are on it?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Everyone will say to do maint. first and so will I. That is key. Then you can move on with the mods.

I'll spare you the whole lecture about saving your money, you probly already know it. But I wish I had saved just a little more and spent a little less a few years ago when I graduated high school; just be frugal and responsible. No need to explain your personal life either, I trust you. ...Anyway, check out the "first mods: what to do and not to do" thread on here. It'll get you started, at least with power mods. Suspension would be where I would start though. That would at least keep the reliability of the stock motor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep save up some extra for maintenance such as fluids change like oil, trans, differential, maybe brake pads, always buy new battery, tires if needed, and if its a high mileage a timing belt which is a major maintenance that is a must. Also see if you can get the car to a shop you trust and have them do a buyer inspection and if you are dead set on this car see about getting a compression and leak down test performed as will. Additionally since you still have some time left before the purchase check up on the car and see how much oil it burns every month. If its anything above a quart every oil change you should be worry. There is countless variables but since its family I am assuming the best but it never hurt to be extra careful do your research, drive the car, talk and take the time you have now to learn about your car. Good luck
    Asian Ricer

The car is all up to date on maintenance work. Its got a biy over 100k mileage wise. I havent talked to my cousin in a while as he is on break, but last I checked it was about 125. Its not his daily driver right now, every other day mostly.
    Ill definitley save for timing belt and such as it does need changing.
    I drove it a few months ago. Felt like a dream. Popped the hood, everything is fairly clean and looks sturdy. I work at a garage so when I do actually purchase said vehicle imnheading right there so they can put it on the left and help me give a reeeaallll good check over. The rust spots are my big concern. One right under the driver side door and passanger rear fender. Any tips on how I can get rid of those without dipping too far into the bank account?