So I've had the scooby for a month now, still hesitant..

This is a discussion on So I've had the scooby for a month now, still hesitant.. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have always been a Mustang guy until I saw the 02 WRX commercial that caught my interest. I've become ...

So I've had the scooby for a month now, still hesitant..

I have always been a Mustang guy until I saw the 02 WRX commercial that caught my interest. I've become fond of the Subies and bought one. An 05 WRB with 107k on her. Drives tight and had one owner.
    Here's my problem. I want to do some clutch dump launches to really feel the bite and acceleration. I know stangs will spin the tires and not break. But I'm still iffy on the durability of the subie. I feel like I may break something. Maybe its just how nice the car drives, and is nice overall, that I dont want to risk anything. So will the car hold up for a few insane launches? I've yet to launch under boost. Thanx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TURBOTOM2010 View Post
    I have always been a Mustang guy until I saw the 02 WRX commercial that caught my interest. I've become fond of the Subies and bought one. An 05 WRB with 107k on her. Drives tight and had one owner.
    Here's my problem. I want to do some clutch dump launches to really feel the bite and acceleration. I know stangs will spin the tires and not break. But I'm still iffy on the durability of the subie. I feel like I may break something. Maybe its just how nice the car drives, and is nice overall, that I dont want to risk anything. So will the car hold up for a few insane launches? I've yet to launch under boost. Thanx.
    Don't do it!

AWD provides much more off-the-line traction than a Mustang. You'll either burn up your clutch if you let it out slow, or grenade your tranny if you drop the clutch. A WRX transmission will last a long time if you don't abuse it - but they definitely don't hold up to abuse well.

If you really want to launch, look into upgrading your clutch and transmission gears... be prepared to shell out $$$
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Haha, well I'm glad I didn't do it now, thanx Subypete! I'm still learning her, and trying to find the best way to shift under acceleration. Stangs are different, and the AWD is extremely grippy.
    I'm VERY excited to have my WRX, and look forward to learning as much as I can to enjoy the performance driving aspect of her.

I'm no expert, but I seem to recall reading something about the transmissions in the 06+ WRX being a bit more sturdy than the earlier models. Since you're talking about an 02, I would definitely NOT do any launching, especially with over 100k on the odometer.

The AWD traction is no joke. All of the torque goes from the wheels directly to the transmission and loads up the weakest link. Unfortunately, that link is within the gearbox and may fail, causing some serious $$$ damage. Best bet is to just play nice with your car and have fun without abusing it.

as others have said dont clutch drop, and the transmssion will last a long time. If you need to launch, best way is slipping the clutch but it will burn out your clutch faster.

There couple of threads on how to launch awd on NASOIC

Drew, I have an '05, but tit's still got the tranny you mention. Thanx.

Temjinx2, Thank you for the info. I'm used to being rough with my old cars, but am enjoying what I learn abt the WRXes.

As someone who roasted a trans in a 02, do not launch it. You need to learn to slip the clutch. Don't worry about wearing it, it's cheaper to replace than a trans!
    '14 SWP STI