thinking about selling the WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on thinking about selling the WRX within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So around October of last year I bought a 05 WRX from a local dealership with about 122xxx miles. A ...

thinking about selling the WRX

So around October of last year I bought a 05 WRX from a local dealership with about 122xxx miles. A lot, I know. Well long story short, the car has been in the garage longer than it has been on the road. It's been a nightmare, at first I had a oil leak near my driver side axel, then I find out it was in an accident, had a bad cat next the timing belt and water pump needed to be replaced along with a radiator pipe, and now my transmission went bad. I haven't even had the for six months and I've poured a ridiculous amount of money into it. I'm also still making payments on the car just to top it off.

If you guys were in my shoes would you just hold onto the car and pay it off or just give up and try to sell the thing? I'm just so bummed about everything that's happened.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd focus on the math. See what the numbers say, and do that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You shoulda known that was going to happen when buying a used subaru. But now that you already spent all the money fixing it. You mine as well just keep it. Are there any mods on the car? I'm sure next it's going to be the motor.

122xxx miles usually isn't so bad for a Subaru. Sounds like a rough previous owner may have ran it hard. I'd honestly sell but thats just me. I'd probably end up buying another WRX anyways

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    You shoulda known that was going to happen when buying a used subaru. But now that you already spent all the money fixing it. You mine as well just keep it. Are there any mods on the car? I'm sure next it's going to be the motor.
    That's what I was thinking, I'm thinking about selling it before the motor goes too.

There is a short ram intake as well as a catback exhaust.

122k of abused miles is alot for any car.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That sucks. I'm sorry it turned out this way for you. Mine ended up being more of a project than what I anticipated, so I feel your pain.

There's two though processes:
    1. You can sell it and cut your losses. Lesson learned, you will be much more careful before buying next car.
    2. You've already dealt with this car's problems. If you sell, you're just getting into another car's problems. Same story as before but new car.

You know this car better than we do, do what makes sense financially. Don't let it get you down too much, life is more than cars

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    That sucks. I'm sorry it turned out this way for you.

1. You can sell it and cut your losses. Lesson learned, you will be much more careful before buying next car.
    2. You've already dealt with this car's problems. If you sell, you're just getting into another car's problems. Same story as before but new car.

You know this car better than we do, do what makes sense financially. I'd take that short ram off if you haven't had a tune for it.
    I'm trying to decide between those exact things. I'm leaning towards trying to sell it because I'm anticipating still needing to replace the clutch, as well as the turbo, and at the same time having to worry about the motor blowing up on me. It just stinks man, never would I of thought that this would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    That sucks. I'm sorry it turned out this way for you. Mine ended up being more of a project than what I anticipated, so I feel your pain.

You know this car better than we do, do what makes sense financially. Don't let it get you down too much, life is more than cars
    Appreciate the encouraging words as well, thanks man

MTM
    word. Im in the same boat.

but im not gonna sell it. I owe nothing on it. and I got it for really low considering what they go for.

sucks dude. but if you think its gonna go, ditch it and cut your losses.

I Support ClubWRX
    Another option would be keep driving it until it falls apart completely, part it out to recoup as much cost as you can, and find a new car with the money left over. I appreciate your honesty about the car's issues on here, but having that knowledge now nobody here would offer much more than part out pricing anyway, so it might be best to get as much use as you can out of it, then sell off all the good bits. The good news in that case is that Subaru parts will remain in high demand.

Best of luck any route you choose! It sucks to have a lemon, but it seems like you're trying to make the best of it. Hang in there!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Another's opinion doesn't really factor it's really up to you how much money you want to throw into the car and how much time you want to spend fixing things. Look at it this way my car sat in the garage for 10 months with a blown motor, I kept saving and didn't lose hope. If it was to happen again I'd save again and not lose hope. I'm very passionate about my subaru and it has sentimental value to it as well.

122k is really not that many miles for a subaru I know a lot of people that are pushing 200k+ on their wrxs and it still runs like a champ. The only thing I see wrong here is you got someone else's problems from the sound of it. The previous owner probably drove the hell out of the car especially with the transmission going on it.

Well, if you bought it from a local dealership, shouldn't all the previous records of problems and accidents be listed and presented to you before you purchased it? Have you also went to a mechanical shop to have a full diagnostic of the potential problems you are having right now? At this point, go by numbers and by your gut, not by desire.
    Midnight~

No matter what used car you buy next, it may have the same odds of failure that this car has. You have to look at it in terms of how much $$ you want to commit to the car per year. I always try to compare it to a typical depreciation rate of about $1k or so per year. That is, you can spend $1k each year on repairs and still have a good deal going. A new car will cost about $2k per year or more in depreciation.

If you think that you can get a handle on figuring out what repairs might be needed in the short term and the cost is less than $1k per year, then I would keep the car and just repair it. Once you get through the immediate repairs, things should calm down a bit and you should get some relief for a little while.

With these cars, there is always a wheel bearing, timing belt, fuel pump, or axle replacement just around the corner. That's just how it is. I'm not sure what went wrong with your transmission (you just said it "went bad"), but once you get that fixed, it should be worry-free for another 100k miles or more.

Any used car will present new problems that require attention and maintenance. You need to ask yourself if you feel confident in finding a replacement car WITHOUT those problems if you decide to cut your losses on this one. Sometimes it's not that easy to predict.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll get support here. And good luck.

I appreciate all the support and advice from you guys, I'm just leaning closer and closer to selling the car. Sounds like it might be the best idea to do. Don't wanna jinx myself but I can't see my next car having the issues this one is having.

I think today might have finally convinced me, as I was driving the car back home from my mechanic after getting the transmission done, white smoking started coming from the catalytic converter near my engine along with an unpleasant smell. This car is an absolute nightmare right now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.