NY/NJ Dealer Trouble (ADVICE NEEDED, PLEASE READ!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on NY/NJ Dealer Trouble (ADVICE NEEDED, PLEASE READ!) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, let me start from the beginning. I owned a 2013 Genesis Coupe A/T, and on Friday, 2/22/14, I went ...

Red face NY/NJ Dealer Trouble (ADVICE NEEDED, PLEASE READ!)

Okay, let me start from the beginning. I owned a 2013 Genesis Coupe A/T, and on Friday, 2/22/14, I went to a dealership in NJ (I'm from NY) to buy a 2014 WRX hatchback. So, after hours at the dealer, I bought a base model 2014 black hatchback. I got $18k for my genesis, while the payoff was 27k (only had the car for 8 months). That 9k negative equity got added onto the new loan, with 4k down. So the night of the sale, we closed out the place, but I couldn't take my brand new car home because they couldn't PDI it. So I had to go a weekend without my new car, because of this damn dealer. First strike. I drove my genesis home, and the salesman was going to personally drive it to my house on the following Monday. I signed all the paperwork, swiped for the 4k down payment, and went home. Monday I get my car, a week goes by, and my genesis is still not paid off. I did my genesis payments every 2 weeks by direct withdrawal to save some interest, so a payment came out. Any payments I make, I get a check for. The trade in is supposed to be paid off for within 10 days as stated by the dealer. For my new car, I got a temporary plate that expired on 3/13/14. So 2 weeks go by, still no pay off. I transferred my plates so I'm waiting for my new registration in the mail. I get a call from the salesman saying that they didn't receive the 4k down payment. Strike two. It caused a small amount of chaos between me and my parents and the dealer, and they found the payment. A few days later, we get a letter in the mail from chase saying our "loan request was denied" because it was over the value of the car. We did not apply for any outside loans. Something isn't right here….

At this point we're fed up. We call the dealer and ask where the new registration is for my old plates, and they said that they made a mistake on the registration so they have to do it over. This is 2 days before my temporary plate and registration expire, which was 3/11/14, this past Tuesday. So Thursday comes, which is the day my temp plate expires, and we get into it with the dealer again because I now have no car to get to work or class because I can't drive the car without plates, registration, or an inspection (they failed to give me a 10 day inspection pass sticker since the dealer is in NJ and I'm from NY, they also didn't tell me i needed to get one in the first place). The salesman offers to drive me to work, which is absurd and creepy, so my mom dropped me off and had to be late herself to work. It's now Friday, 3/14/14, and we've been going at it with the dealer all day. They told us that the loan didn't get approved because of the negative equity. and thats why they haven't paid my car off. So they sold me a car without an approved loan. They're requesting that I go back tomorrow and resign for a new loan. Technically the genesis is still mine and the WRX is still theirs. I have a brand new 28k car sitting in my driveway which I can't drive or even park on the street.

Let me wrap this up; the manager keeps asking what they can do to make us happy, offered us 2 SEPARATE free tanks of gas which is a horrible attempt to compensate. Separate meaning one when I go tomorrow and another when I'm "in the area". IM FROM THE BRONX YOU MORONS. God damn. The tolls and gas to get there is pretty much a full tank. They said they have to eat $1300 on the deal and that my monthly payment goes down $15 a month for 75 months, but the interest rate goes up from 3.9% to 4.1%, which doesn't matter to me and my parents since we're going to refinance within a year. They also offered a loaner car until they get everything sorted out. I want a damn STI if I'm going to get a loaner car. I just have this gut feeling that I can get so much out of this opportunity, I just don't know what steps me and my parents should take from here. Payments for my genesis are till being taken out and the payment for the WRX is due in 10 days. What should I demand? Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Honestly i think i would go get your Genesis and tell them to come get the wrx and try again somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by GT800 View Post
    Honestly i think i would go get your Genesis and tell them to come get the wrx and try again somewhere else.
    The real question is, is that actually possible? I signed a bunch of paperwork and left with their property. I don't think I can return a new car that will now be a used one and just cancel everything. But maybe I can. I don't have any family members that are lawyers, and google isn't really helping. Would I be able to take my genesis, my 4k down payment and just leave?

You should cancel it all, find someone to buy your car for more than trade in, in due time. This should give you enough time to get with the official new car salesman of the forums and get a good deal on a 2015. Not only will you sell your car for more but the interest you didnt have to spend on the over borrowing will be a lot.

Yes, no signed deal went through and even if you signed a new one you still have 3 days to cancel that. If they give you greif then threaten to call subaru or ask for the owner.

Just did a quick check and a base 2013 gensis coupe with 30k miles has a good trade in of 22k so I think there trying to hose you.

Yeah if they are telling you they need you to sign a whole new contract you can opt out and say no and tell them you want your car back

Quote Originally Posted by jtknights_08 View Post
    Just did a quick check and a base 2013 gensis coupe with 30k miles has a good trade in of 22k so I think there trying to hose you.
    I think that's way higher than what it's worth. I checked on galves. Its about 20k ish at best condition.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The only thing I took away from this entire story is that you ate $9k on your trade. Sounds smart.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

oh man sucks to be in your position. I hope it all works out and you end up with your WRX!! if you dont mind, what dealer? you can PM me.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I Support ClubWRX
    Find out how many cars you own. From what you've written so far the answer will be somewhere between 0 and 2. If it's 0, buy a car. If it's 1, drive that car home. If it's 2, sell a car.

The dealer's behaviour may be atypical but it's not original or unheard of, this stuff does go on. Refuse to apply for a new loan, insisting that the old loan arrangement be honoured and if it's not, that you receive your car back -- whichever car that may be. This will either loosen up some of the gears and get things moving or will bring you to a stalemate; you'll have to see which.

This is why it is best to never, ever drive off with something if the loan hasn't been approved. For future reference secure your own loan via your own credit union, for example, beforehand etc. Good luck.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I got $1500 back on the new deal. They dropped the price of the car by $13xx and they're giving me a $200 check for accessories for my inconvenience as long as I supply a receipt. I also have a rental car (2014 Forester) until the end of the week when my registration comes. They filled up both tanks with gas (my parents' car too for making us drive back to resign the loan). I got nailed buying the genesis for so much when I was 18, being hasty and not knowing anything about cars or car buying. I'm getting another 1k back from the extended warranty on the gen, so that's nice as well.

FYI don't get the subaru extended warranty if you plan on modding the wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    FYI don't get the subaru extended warranty if you plan on modding the wrx.
    Why not? Btw there's a dealer near me that's very mod friendly from what I've heard. They have a performance crew at night that tunes cars, and the service lot is always filled with heavily modded WRXs and STIs from what I've heard also. Btw, I've heard pretty much no problems with an intake & OTS stage 1 map, which is what I would be running for quite some time. If I ever got a down pipe i would get pro tuned after.

Dealers don't deny warranty claims SOA does. And they will deny a claim if you have engine mods done to your car. So save your money and don't buy the extended warranty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast