High pitched whine when in boost

This is a discussion on High pitched whine when in boost within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, brand new to this site. I need help of those who have experience with Turbo cars in understanding ...

High pitched whine when in boost

Hey guys, brand new to this site. I need help of those who have experience with Turbo cars in understanding my new problem. Taking my 03 WRX Wagon out today, when I hit boost, right away I get a high pitched whine going on. It sounds like a supercharger almost. I am not sure what the problem of this could be. Please help me!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like it could be a boost leak, but who knows...
    Are you getting into full boost? You can make a boost leak tester for pretty cheap, there are many tutorials on youtube.

It is hitting boost. As soon as I heard it i shifted into a higher gear and it went away. Right at 3500 is when it starts and it is consistently loud. I am not sure about the full boost, haven't put in a boost gauge yet. It is a stock 03 Turbo replacement. Not sure when it was replaced though

Make or buy a boost leak tester, its good to have. I would check all the intercooler hose connections and anything that is under pressure while in boost, make sure they are tight enough.