Finally got a WRX!! Couple questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Finally got a WRX!! Couple questions within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After years of drooling over them, I finally got myself a 2009 WRX with 34k miles on it. Im absolutely ...

Finally got a WRX!! Couple questions

After years of drooling over them, I finally got myself a 2009 WRX with 34k miles on it. Im absolutely in love with the car and don't even want to get out of it.

The previous owner installed a couple aftermarket goodies including a full Perrin exhaust, Perrin CAI, as well as a Perrin BOV (looks to be recirculating to me so I guess technically not a blow of valve??), also feels like an aftermarket clutch, and this weird Gforce Chip thing (see pic below). I bought the car from a dealership so unfrotunatley I was not able to talk to the previous owner to figure out exactly whats been done the the car.

The car sounds and runs amazing. From the little bit of research I've done, it seems that these cars hate BOVs and an aftermarket CAI requires tuning?? This is my daily driver and I want it to be as reliable as possible. Should I remove the aftermarket BOV and replace it with a factory one? Also should I remove this Gforce chip thing? There is a wire coming from it that runs to the CAI. Im not very mechanically inclined so please give me some tips before I break something.

Some Mandatory pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140215_173901.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	136113

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140217_193902.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	136121
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140215_173901.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

The wire coming from the CAI is likely the OE MAF sensor.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Welcome

The wire coming from the CAI is likely the OE MAF sensor.
    Hey thanks man

yea I figured it was messing with the air/fuel mixture. Did some research on the chip GForce Chips Help Improve Performance and Fuel Economy Guaranteed .Looks like bullsh!t, should I get rid of it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuton
    Hey thanks man

yea I figured it was messing with the air/fuel mixture. Did some research on the chip GForce Chips Help Improve Performance and Fuel Economy Guaranteed .Looks like bullsh!t, should I get rid of it?
    Is that what is on the intake? There isn't a picture of it...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Is that what is on the intake? There isn't a picture of it...
    Yea, its a crappy pic but in the bottom left corner next to the air intake you can see the little chip with a grey wire running to a sensor on the intake

I have never heard of that chip but you def need to tune for the exhaust and the intake. Many people run cobb tuning with the accessport. They provide off the shelf maps that will take care of the exhaust and intake. I am pretty sure they don't have maps for the perrin CAI though. They tune for cobb and aem intakes if I remember correctly. You can either swap intakes or go pro tune. Hope this helped. Congrats on the car!
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    I have never heard of that chip but you def need to tune for the exhaust and the intake. Many people run cobb tuning with the accessport. They provide off the shelf maps that will take care of the exhaust and intake. I am pretty sure they don't have maps for the perrin CAI though. They tune for cobb and aem intakes if I remember correctly. You can either swap intakes or go pro tune. Hope this helped. Congrats on the car!
    Hey thanks!!

Well I looked again and it seems the downpipe is stock (does look like the the second cat is deleted though).Is there anyway I can find out if the car is tuned or not? Once I can find one I plan on going back to the stock airbox. Do I need a tune for just the catback?

No problem.

Im not sure if you can check or not. Maybe if you had a professional tuner check for an opensource tune. You should be able to find a stock intake pretty easy, but yes you will have to tune for the catback. IMO I would just get the car protuned and take off the BOV. If you continue to run the car as is, you have no clue on what is going on. These cars are very picky when you modify, almost everything needs to be tuned for.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    No problem.

Im not sure if you can check or not. Maybe if you had a professional tuner check for an opensource tune. You should be able to find a stock intake pretty easy, but yes you will have to tune for the catback. IMO I would just get the car protuned and take off the BOV. If you continue to run the car as is, you have no clue on what is going on. These cars are very picky when you modify, almost everything needs to be tuned for.
    sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is a protune? Is it just a custom tune from a tuner? How much does one of those usually cost?

Not a dumb question, we all gotta start somewhere! Yes, a protune is a tune made by a tuner using either cobb access port or opensource. An opensource tune is a flash of the ECM that is all done by computer. The cobb AP is nice because you can monitor gauges and run datalogs to really helps see whats going on.The tuner will be able to fine tune things such as boost and A/F ratio.

Cost is anywhere from 300-550 btw.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.