First car for my sorta step son, 04/05 Impreza
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First car for my sorta step son, 04/05 Impreza within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Long story on the sorta step son thing lol... Ok, he LOVES WRX/STI's. He is 16 and we are 'working ...

I Support ClubWRX

First car for my sorta step son, 04/05 Impreza

Long story on the sorta step son thing lol...

Ok, he LOVES WRX/STI's. He is 16 and we are 'working together' on his first car plans. I don't like the idea of either because they seem to be faster than any Mustang I have almost died in. BUT, I have noticed that an RS sedan with the WRX wing might only need a hood scoop off fleabay to give him the look he wants, and I assume the 175hp would still be peppy/fun, and would still be an excellent winter car with the AWD??

The 2004/05 is what he wants, and I tend to agree, they are the sharpest in my huble-est of opinions

Anyway, I am new here, and VERY new to the import scene if that is even what it is called. I am V8 RWD all the way, but I really want to do something special for him while he still thinks he is getting a Mazda 3 or Dodge 2.0 SX...

He will be paying me back on a set schedule, and none of this will happen unless he makes sure he has his part time job soon, so maybe a life lesson here where good things happen if you work for it.

Anyway, I look forward to your opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I like your thinking. Too many kids start off with powerful cars and limited skills - its a bad combo. Especially since they are convinced after 6 months they are "great" drivers. Older drivers know how much you learn through experience - everything from controlling your own car to dealing with everything that can occur on the roads. The RS models look pretty sharp, can be modded for some added sport (especially suspension work), and give him a chance to learn before he steps up to a more powerful car. I learned on a Chevy Chevette (look 'em up if you don't remember them and found it a great learning experience (RWD, 4 speed manual). Sure, I wanted more, but looking back it was a fine place to start, and I've been able to appreciate every car since. Good luck - I hope you find what you are looking for.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Muswagon View Post
    ...and I assume the 175hp would still be peppy/fun, and would still be an excellent winter car with the AWD??

...The 2004/05 is what he wants...
    Personally, I think 175hp is too much for a first car. What he "wants" is probably not what he needs. What he wants could get him killed... and that's not what anyone wants. I believe what everyone needs for a first car is something they can learn not to kill themselves in. It should be as slow as possible because, the slower the - inevitable - first crash, the more chance they have of surviving it. After 3 years of driving, then, maybe something a little quicker. What makes a car fun is being able to play with its limits. If the car has less hp, your "sorta-step-son" will find those limits earlier and it'll be a lot safer. My first car had 60hp and I kept it for 4 years. It was ugly as hell and scored me minus cool-points with my friends, but it was plenty of fun in the rain. When I explored the limits of traction, I had plennnnnty of time to recover.

Half the fun of your first car is the independence it gives you. It really doesn't need to be cool or fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    I learned on a Chevy Chevette (look 'em up if you don't remember them and found it a great learning experience (RWD, 4 speed manual). Sure, I wanted more, but looking back it was a fine place to start, and I've been able to appreciate every car since.
    +1. My friend had one of those (badged as a Vauxhall in Britain) in the mid-nineties and it was just marginally quicker than my car. Made for fun races *ahem*. But, yes, perfect for learning car control... and how not to die.

Talk him into a jeep. They are reliable, slow, good in any weather, and if he flips it.... roll it back over and keep on getting it. I learned on an old 4speed wrangler. It was easy to drive and only did 62mph downhill but was plenty of fun!
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

I personally learned on a 99 S10 with a 2.2 4 banger with 120hp, rwd and 5 speed during the winter. Then my first car was a 98 bug with a 2.0 5 speed. I learned a lot driving the S10 it was far from quick but it was quite forgiving. I was 16 and of course I had to see where it would shut off and if it would squeal the tires... Well it shut off at 94 had to do it down a hill... and it would only squeal the tires if you started off rolling backwards in reverse and then put it in first, rev to the limiter and drop the clutch... The Bug on the other hand only had 115hp but would roast the tires in 1st, chirp in 2nd & 3rd. That was a rather quick car for 115hp... I was picked on at first but then people realized it was the newest and nicest car in the parking lot they kinda chilled out. I also put 2-12" subs in the trunk and it had some great bass... I agree that 175hp will be a bit much for a first driver. The other side of it was my first speeding ticket my dad took my car away for a week. I toned it down quite a bit after that. I would say it all comes down to what kind of a father figure you are for him and how much he respects you. I would also keep in mind that it is very possible that his first car will end up wrecked to some extent. I looked down to change a cd and hit ice, rear end swung around and took out the front bumper on an embankment. My dad trusted and respected me enough to let me take is brand new '02 Vette to prom.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    and I assume the 175hp would still be peppy/fun, and would still be an excellent winter car with the AWD??

The base Impreza will lack the rear limited slip differential of the WRX, but nearly everything else save for the motor is the same. The suspension tuning on the RS variant is calibrated a bit softer than the WRX, which already has quite a bit of body roll from the factory. Here is my idea: since he enjoys the idea of "fast cars," get him started off in the right direction. Get him enrolled in some Auto-X events. A base Impreza with a few suspension mods would be a great car to take to Auto-X. Auto-X is less demanding on the car than circuit racing and will teach him to control the car at the limits. Plus, it may very well get him his fix for speed... believe me, 40mph in an Auto-X even feels much much faster than 80mph on the road...

Anyway, I am new here, and VERY new to the import scene if that is even what it is called. I am V8 RWD all the way
    "Import" and "Domestic" are nothing more than legacy terms these days. Most Subarus sold in the U.S.A. undergo final assembly in Illinois while the vast majority of components in a Dodge are sourced from overseas.

What cars pique your interest?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The RS is honestly a great idea. That's what most people around this forum suggest when kids get on here wanting an STi. It'd be good for him to start and sell when he's ready to move up to something more powerful. Alos, it would be good to go for a manual so he learns it.

Jeeps are also known death traps when they roll over. Someone close to me died that way.

You are one cool step dad man! haha The RS is a great choice if he is just interested in looks. My first two cars before my wrx were both 150 hp turtles haha. Still fun because of the 5 speed and handling aspects. Looked decent too. Just don't let him get the mod bug too soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    Found an 05 impreza rs, crystal grey metallic, 98k miles, theft recovery. Front bumper and absorber, ignition and plastic surround, repair both doors where they jimmied and fix the trunk lock, have above parts now start the work this weekend. Got a set of rota gold 17" rims with almost new 225/45 tires for $600. The car already has the wrx rear wing, ordered a wrx scoop for up front. I pretty sure he peed a little when he saw it I will post before and after pix.

I Support ClubWRX
    This thread is relevant to my interests. I have a kid that's a year away from getting her license, and who wants my 2002 WRX. I've waffled back and forth between tuning it down for her use, versus selling it and getting something more appropriate, perhaps even an RS.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Solid choice. Interested in seeing pics. I love the rs and think it is a fun peppy entry into the Subaru world. I'd like to have one as a daily beater!

I Support ClubWRX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	149953

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.