SOOO... I let my Girlfriend drive my wrx....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on SOOO... I let my Girlfriend drive my wrx.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah... so I let my girlfriend drive my 2013 WRX. I feel defeated. So my girlfriend doesn't know how to ...

SOOO... I let my Girlfriend drive my wrx....

Yeah... so I let my girlfriend drive my 2013 WRX. I feel defeated.

So my girlfriend doesn't know how to drive clutch. I bought the car, knowing that she didn't know how to drive clutch (uh oh). I was pretty close with reasoning with her on buying a used beater car that we could let her practice how to drive using clutch and pedal. But, it's been over a year now and her persistence on wanting to learn how to drive my car finally won through.

So here's the setup: Today is a beautiful day in Seattle. It's sunny, ~50 degrees, and there was a completely empty parking lot. I was driving by a huge completely empty parking lot with her riding shotgun. We had some groceries and were heading back home (I WAS SO CLOSE!). But I was feeling in a good mood, so was she, so she asked if we could practice in that huge empty parking lot.

Okay, stage is set, here's what happened: I explained to her how clutch works with the pedal. Told her to find the sweet spot. I watched her feet with the engine off and tried to guide her with how the transition would work between the two feet. She's a pianist, so I figured she would have decent eye hand coordination. I then popped it in neutral, and let her rev the engine a little just to get an idea how fast the engine responds, and all that jazz. I'll be the first to admit, I'm probably not the best teacher in explaining how everything works.

Okay.. so...

TLDR: My girlfriend popped it into first, pushed the gas, and then COMPLETELY let go of the clutch. Car stuttered, she freaked, she gassed the pedal and added some clutch... Before I could think and react, we were up to ~40 mph (I think) and in 1st gear.

What can I do to make sure my car is fine? Everything seems to be shifting fine, no weird noises, no visible smoke. Just only burnt clutch smell and girlfriend swearing off on never driving my car. I hope fuel cutoff saved my car... but I'm a little razzled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a new girlfriend.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your car is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Get a new girlfriend.
    and ^that
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Get a new girlfriend.
    thought crossed my mind.... but ive got a huge down payment on her

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    thought crossed my mind.... but ive got a huge down payment on her
    It's more expensive in the long run. Cut your losses.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

But she does make almost twice as much as me....

Mmmm... now what have we learned here..

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    Mmmm... now what have we learned here..
    I don't know! lol

wait... Don't let the girl drive my car... but if I do that I might lose the girl!.... save the cheerleader save the world?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I'm sure your car is fine lol. It's not like it's a china cabinet.

My advice, put her back in the driver seat soon before she never learns to drive manual. Only video tape it this time haha.

continue lessons with a rented geo metro. that way if she petal dumps, it dies.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Good lord, this sounds like a nightmare I had a few weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I'm sure your car is fine lol. It's not like it's a china cabinet.

My advice, put her back in the driver seat soon before she never learns to drive manual. Only video tape it this time haha.
    haha yeah but I too was all worked up. I mean... my car! I wonder if rental companies have manual?

Hmmmm.. Cheerleader? You didn't mention that before.. You need to explain things in much simpler terms. Call the gas pedal the go-button, brake is the stop-button etc.. and use the word "like" a lot.
    Or.. send her my way, I'll teach her how to drive a MT

East Taut'in, Massachusetts, United States
    Your car is fine. Was she redlining? Doubt it.

Go back to that lot and warn her of how things work when too much gas or too little is given. Tell her if she gets nervous, push the clutch back in and don't give it gas until she feels confident.

Confidence is the key to getting her to the point where she thinks she can try driving around.

Patience on your part. If you are a decent driver, then your clutch won't get destroyed with a few rides and dumps on the clutch.

Until she gets the hang of the sweet spot, tell her that stalling isn't bad; at least you'll know she isn't riding the clutch.

Sent from my iBone
    Kartboy STS, related shifter/linkage bushings, Whiteline subframe bushing inserts, Whiteline rear differential bushing inserts, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed MCB, Group N tranny mount, TiC tranny cross member bushings, gimmick turbro inlet pipe, Ingen intake, PW-clone TMIC, Turbrosmart BPV, Megan catless DP, Tsudo N1 exhaust... X-wing dangly and dashboard Buddy Christ (for lulz)

Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    haha yeah but I too was all worked up. I mean... my car! I wonder if rental companies have manual?
    Yes they do, it's a bit harder to find, but they are out there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast