SOOO... I let my Girlfriend drive my wrx.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on SOOO... I let my Girlfriend drive my wrx.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Don't have her touch the gas pedal at all! Stop the car in neutral on a dead-level parking lot. Swap ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't have her touch the gas pedal at all!

Stop the car in neutral on a dead-level parking lot. Swap seats, have her press in the clutch, put the car in gear, and then slowly let off the clutch. She might kill it the first time, but that's fine. After a couple tries, you'll get the car rolling slightly. This will teach her to feel for the clutch biting, and she'll learn the basics of clutch modulation. Once she can get the car rolling from an idle, THEN introduce the throttle.

Also, borrow a Miata if you can. My wife was able to drive that around perfectly on the first day without killing it, while she never could get the hang of the WRX. The Miata requires basically no clutch modulation, it's just all the way in, or not at all. The gearbox is extremely easy to move, yet notchy, so my wife didn't have to muscle the car into first and second like she did on my WRX.

The Gen1 Miatas are by far and away the easiest manual I've ever driven, and I recommend starting on one if at all possible.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The car is fine.

Is she good on piano? The pedal travel on a piano is far less than a clutch with a puny sweet spot, but requires precision foot / hand coordination for the proper sound. She's over halfway there.

Keep letting her have at it. Be patient, have her use baby steps rather than 40 mph in first. Use the word "feather" a lot.

I had a girlfriend a long time ago who I tried to teach the art of manual shifting. Despite my best patient efforts, she was an uncoordinated clod who had a hard enough time with 2 pedals.

The next girlfriend I had after the clod drove an old POS Volvo station wagon ... with a manual.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-12-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I would say take her to a snowy parking lot. That way you stand a better chance of her just spinning the tires a little bit. Thats how I learned at 15 with a rwd 5 speed S10. within a day I was drifting around.

Remember, the clutch is covered under bumper to bumper. If she burns it up, no worries. One time ain't a reason to hang it up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The thing with women... You've got to tell her what to do without *telling her what to do. You've got to build her confidence without here knowing you're doing it on purpose. You've got to explain it but don't over-explain it. You've got to *want to teach her, but don't act like you want just because you want to. You've got to explain it in a way that makes no sense in order for it to make sense. Either way it's going to end with, "you sound like my dad." And you'll sleep together with her backed turned to you for a couple nights and then she'll learn manual from her sister who can barely drive manual herself. And for the love of god, don't explain rev matching when you start teaching her how to shift. And draw a diagram of the shifter gates with dry erase marker up on the windshield so she dosn't continually grind the reverse gear on the highway.

Avoid using specific names or terms. Avoid explaining what a clutch actually is and it's purpose. Avoid any detail at all!

I would say, just sit in a level parking lot and let her play with the clutch pedal where she can feel when it engages, no gas or brake. Just sit there and feel the clutch engage. That's how I learned. Then I added the gas pedal in the mix. Took me a few hours in the parking to learn myself.

Thank for the responses guys! im most relieved to hear I probably didnt kill my car... but I think she probably did red line.

but the tipa are great. ill have to try and start with just clutch engagement. no gas. that's if I can convince her to try again :-p

I Support ClubWRX
    Have her learn how to get the car rolling without touching the gas pedal to learn the engagement point
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Agreed. Have her get it rolling, clutch only. 1st and reverse

My wife did a 3rd to 2nd money shift in my car , she hasn't driven it since - that was about 8 months ago.

^^

def worst story in the thread

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I'm sure your car is fine lol. It's not like it's a china cabinet.

My advice, put her back in the driver seat soon before she never learns to drive manual. Only video tape it this time haha.
    this^^ hahaha

I have heard from multiple people that learning to find the friction point in reverse is a lot easier then first.

my girlfriend says she can drive manual since she used to have a 240sx and wants to practice again using my wrx...she wants to get a wrx in the spring but i told her to get a beater first lol. so advice to you would be buy an AWD beater and that way you also have something to drive in the winter
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My wife DDs a standard vehicle.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I'd recommend a beater to learn on if you can swing it, maybe a friends. I think it would be more relaxing for you and her. That will give her the fundamentals, then jump to the WRX. I learned on a 64 Dodge Truck, and taught my sister on the same. Our transition to driving our parents Mazda GLC/and 626 was cake after dealing with beast ....lol
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast