Tune necessary for catless uppipe?

This is a discussion on Tune necessary for catless uppipe? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As the title says, I am wondering if a tune is necessary for installing a catless uppipe on an 04 ...

Tune necessary for catless uppipe?

As the title says, I am wondering if a tune is necessary for installing a catless uppipe on an 04 wrx. Yes, I have read a whole bunch of posts on this topic which seem to have a constant debate (which could be the result of this post) with a lot of people saying that there is no tune necessary, just an ECU reset, and then many other people saying you can run the risk running lean without getting a tune or anything. That seems to make a lot of sense to me because if you are eliminating the cat in the stock uppipe then there will be more free flowing air into the turbo. Am I mistaken or is the increase of air negligible for a tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    No, read the second paragraph in this thread.

Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod

Speaking of pre-turbo exhaust, you will need a tune for headers though.

I read the entire thread and everyone said no tune is necessary except for this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    A Catless uppipe does not require a retune. However, it does require a resistor in the EGT connector. GrimmSpeed Up Pipe Install - YouTube

An aftermarket downpipe does need a retune.
    With 02 WRX's some people have had success without a tune, but the results will be better with a tune.
    03+ WRX's require a tune.
    I found this on the 8th page. He says 03+ require a tune, I have an 04. This is what confuses me

That says: an aftermarket downpipe on an 03+ wrx requires a retune...
    David - '05 WRX

hahaha oh man....Looks like Ill have to go back to first grade and learn basic reading skills again.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Install it, log it, then decide if you should make adjustments to your tune.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    I read the entire thread and everyone said no tune is necessary except for this guy:

I found this on the 8th page. He says 03+ require a tune, I have an 04. This is what confuses me
    you obviously didnt read the whole thread. In the second paragraph of the very fist post, the author of the thread says, "The best part about these gains is that there is no tune required to see the benefits like with some other power modifications." EJ257 is a reputable tuner on this forum.

Also, Drews advice would be what I would go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Install it, log it, then decide if you should make adjustments to your tune.
    What do you mean by log it?

@wreckingball man:
    I did read that post, I was not aware though that he is a reputable tuner. Anytime I see a post by EJ257 ill definitely be sure to take his word for it then. Thanks a lot for clearing it up for me though. It definitely helped me in my decision on installing an uppipe! Come next week I will be ordering and Invidia Uppipe with gaskets ready to install!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    What do you mean by log it?
    I mean, hook up a cable and do a data long.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.