"I want an STi when I turn 16!" --What was your first car?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on "I want an STi when I turn 16!" --What was your first car? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I see this quiet often on the forum. Kids...Young people not even out of High School wanting an STi ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

"I want an STi when I turn 16!" --What was your first car?

So I see this quiet often on the forum. Kids...Young people not even out of High School wanting an STi or WRX for a first car. There have even been 15 year olds that get on here and ask what we think about them getting a WRX/STi when they turn 16. Well, no one is going to tell you what to do, but we can give you excellent advice. Especially the older guys on here, and for obvious reasons. --They've been there, and some even have kids themselves.

Anyway, what you get is ultimately up to you and your parents. Don't think we're going to say anything different than your parents or what any other mechanic your parents might talk to will say. They'll say to start out on something "expendable, easy to drive, and economical."

So I thought I would share my and my best friend's first rides. I had an 84 Chevy pickup and he had an 86 GMC Jimmy. Both of them were our grandfather's old beater vehicles and they were both given to us after they passed away. Now, I must say, I would'nt have traded these vehicles for the world. Even now I would never let mine go. And I'm so grateful that these were our first cars.

His Jimmy currently sits in the garage with the engine out...we never put it back together. It's all basically sitting on shelves And it's still for sale by the way! Watch the video for a trip back to 2011 and my senior year in High School. Under the thick sarcasm is much genuine love for our vehicles.

So everyone, what was your first car? Pictures and Videos to help us visualize how ...wonderful... they were would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Briefly:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	135049

Mostly:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	135057

But only because I couldn't afford my real dream car, in which I would have killed myself and others:

I love when the kids post clarifications, stating they are excellent drivers and are truly exceptional. That's the best part of those threads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I started with a 2001 zr2 blazer. It was a blast to have.

(this is a google image search, but mine was exactly like this, same color, tires etc)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I started with a 2001 zr2 blazer. It was a blast to have.
    That does look fun.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That does look fun.
    Was pretty much a wrangler with creature comforts Engine shut off at 85!

My first car was a '92 AT V6 Camaro. My dad gave me a budget of $3000 towards my first car when i turned 17. I found the car i wanted for$2800 and i think we wound up paying $2500 and actually picked it up when i was still 16 and unlicensed. Still, to this day I'm not sure how i convinced my parents that was a good idea.. But i did. While the V6 wasn't much to write home about in terms of HP (140 IIRC) it was still a relatively unsafe RWD car for a brandy new driver. I had it for 3 years, and only had one minor fender bender in it. I credit that car for teaching me how to drive in snowy NY winters.. No TCS, ABS, or any other driver aids. It was a fun first car, but broke down way too much, so i eventually traded it in. F-bodies still hold a special place in my heart. Maybe one day I'll pick up another and make it into a project car.
    I might have an old 4x6 laying around in my old pictures.. I'll dig around and see if i can find anything.

Mine was a 1978 z28. Much like this one.

Mine wasn't in this good of shape and had centerline wheels that looked like pizza cutters. The rear wheels were 9" or 10" wide with 60 series tires that looked real meaty.

Lots of fun in that car. Blew up a motor in it and got to build a new one from scratch with my pop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez97 View Post

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    No one knew what the hell an STi was when I was 16.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No one knew what the hell an STi was when I was 16.
    Same here. Most sensible people wanted an S4 like me, or a 959.

i was in high school when the first wrx from subaru came out and i did want one. rally cars were taking off and that thing was hot. but i had to settle for an 86 chevy caprice classic . 23 years later ive got my wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewbeater View Post
    but i had to settle for an 86 chevy caprice classic
    Those are nice cars. I always had a soft spot for them. I really liked the tail section seen from 3/4s.

I Support ClubWRX

Not even joking.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Not even joking.
    Shaggin' wagon!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Did that van have the wipers that moved in opposite directions?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast