"I want an STi when I turn 16!" --What was your first car? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on "I want an STi when I turn 16!" --What was your first car? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mine was an 89' alpine white e30, followed shortly by an alpine white 88' M3....

Mine was an 89' alpine white e30, followed shortly by an alpine white 88' M3.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    87 Mazda 323 5spd. Loved that car.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

My first car ever was 89 Honda civic CRX that I paid $450.00 for it and drove it about two years.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	135113

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Did that van have the wipers that moved in opposite directions?
    It did indeed.

It had an anemic Chrysler V6, with a 4 speed auto. Base trim, so nothing fancy, but take out the rear seats and it could haul my entire college dorm.

One day, after sitting in the garage for a few months, the security alarm shorted, causing the battery to explode (very literally). It was never the same after that, with weird quirks like hitting the hazard flasher button caused every light in the car (headlights, dash lights, dome lights, taillights, etc) to start flashing. It was the only car I've known to have a dedicated "Party Mode" button.

My aunt and uncle own it now. 140k miles, and the transmission is on its last legs.
    Last edited by Rambo; 02-11-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

1986 jeep grand wagoneer. Thing was a tank. Was a hand me down from my sister. 10-12 mpg all day haha. no airbags, abs, ac or heat. had to wear two jackets in the winter to keep from freezing on the way to school and in the summer i just sweated balls at any speed under 40mph (no airflow). still have the thing sitting under the carport. kinda surprised i never killed anyone in it.

Last edited by i8buffalowings; 02-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.

MTM
    I wanted an Evo...

Drove a 95 ford Ranger.. camper shell. Bed in the back. It was alright.

Ill get a GTR SOOOOOOOOOME day....

I wouldn't appreciate my 2013 WRX if it hadn't taken me 12 years to finally purchase one. I'll appreciate it even more in a couple months when it's paid for. Working for the cars I have had and buying them gradually faster and better has made me appreciate every one of them. Here's how I started:

In 2001 I got my dad's old 1994 Isuzu Pickup truck. It had a 5 speed and I begged him to swap it out for an automatic. It was exactly like the one below only more rust, forrest green, and the cheapest black camper shell money could buy:

In 2003 I got the car that got me into cars, a 1992 Geo Storm. It was a cool little 5 speed car. I swapped out the intake with a pep boys special, and tore out the muffler for a cheap straight pipe.... I also put a header and a sweet ebay chip on it. It was exactly like the one below:

The road after that was:
    2003 Nissan Sentra Spec V:

2009 Honda Civic Si (first new car):

2008 Nissan 350z Touring: (the VQ was awesome. Everything else sucked. Good riddance after 11 months)

Finally: 2013 WRX Premium. By far my favorite car:

I don't think you can really appreciate a car like a STi or an Evo when you're 16, until you've experienced **** cars, 'ok' cars, or even cars you thought were going to be great, but ended up sucking (350z). Getting that nice of a car when you're 16 will truly spoil you. If I had done that, I would have probably wanted a Porsche by the time I was 20.

I drove one of these for quite a few years before I got my 944, and when the 944 was being worked on, which was a lot.

1987 Chrysler Lebaron GTS

Car ate head gaskets for lunch, but was actually pretty fun to drive with the turbo. Fond memories of beating my friends brand new golf. Although I also drove a Dodge minivan with a 4cyl turbo that was even faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chrysler_LeBaron_GTS.jpg  
    Last edited by joe944; 02-11-2014 at 08:08 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    2001 Nissan Altima SE

Beat the crap out of that for 40K miles, only having to do routine maintenance and a new A/C unit. Gave it to my sister when I bought the Subaru. She wasn't the best at routine maintenance and it eventually was more expensive to fix than worth.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I wasn't 16 when I got my first car, but it was a trusty 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE.
    Sold it for the WRX after a few years.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Bam.
    Peanut butter and jaaaaammmm!!! I had a soft spot for those; Volvo semi-cheated their way into homologating the turbo version into Group A. I was an Ulf Granberg fan as a kid. I think the guy operated locomotives before his motorsport career or something.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    A friend of mine in college had a Caprice Wagon. Great car for daily driving; Lazy V8 wasn't up on power nor fuel economy.

Still, one could fit a full-sized couch in one of those things...
    Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    87 Mazda 323 5spd. Loved that car.
    With the 1,6L four? Mine has the electronic carburetor and I drove the car for several summers with a leaking head gasket before finally biting the bullet and having a friend who runs a garage fix it for me. Still going. Mine's a European model F 5-door hatch with the pop-up headlights. I drive it a few weeks per year at this point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	135233

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    It did indeed.
    That's class.

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    In 2003 I got the car that got me into cars, a 1992 Geo Storm. It was a cool little 5 speed car.
    My wife had one before switching to a sportier Toyota.

The Geo twin, the Isuzu Impulse, came with AWD and a turbo in the highest spec version.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-11-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I inherited my first car when I was 17.

1991 Buick Regal Limited 3.8L.

Thing was glorious.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    My grandfather bequeathed his 1970 Chevy Impala to me when I was 15, because he couldn't get much when he traded it in. I considered myself to be very fortunate, even though it was 12 years old at the time, and a big ole bomb. What it did have going for it was a pre-smog 350 small block, and it would move 2 tons of Detroit metal with surprising vigor. Pretty much burnouts on demand.

Not my car, but almost exactly like it. My paint job wasn't this nice:

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    With the 1,6L four? Mine has the electronic carburetor and I drove the car for several summers with a leaking head gasket before finally biting the bullet and having a friend who runs a garage fix it for me. Still going. Mine's a European model F 5-door hatch with the pop-up headlights. I drive it a few weeks per year at this point.
    Yup! It was a great car until I tried to go through the rear end of a Mitsubishi.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Yup! It was a great car until I tried to go through the rear end of a Mitsubishi.
    Yes that won't work.

Mine is doing much better now with an intact head gasket. For many years the vent on the gearbox has spewed gear lube, for no reason I can figure out. I've changed brands, always use the correct spec etc. It's a pain to service the gear lube since they use the speedo cable as a fill hole and it takes a special Mazda key etc. My passenger front window is decidedly up and going nowhere, the R12 A/C gave up the ghost, but other than that and the gearbox mount that's failed and generates a CLUNK! when I go from off throttle to hard throttle, still moving on its own power and my paint is in terrific shape (see above). I'd look at another Mazda without hesitation.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast