spt short shifter/exhaust vs... others -- 2014 wrx

This is a discussion on spt short shifter/exhaust vs... others -- 2014 wrx within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Howdy I'm in the market for a new 2014 wrx hatchback. I plan to do some mods to the car ...

spt short shifter/exhaust vs... others -- 2014 wrx

Howdy

I'm in the market for a new 2014 wrx hatchback.
    I plan to do some mods to the car sooner than later after acquiring it.
    stage 2 to start. I want to upgrade short shifter, exhaust, tune, downpipe

In my searches.. I've found stock 2014 wrx with no modifications and some that come with the factory spt short shifter and/or spt exhaust.
    are those options worth it if I plan on doing some mods? or should I just buy/install everything aftermarket?
    With the factory installed spt exhaust, does that add more power or just sound? with a cobb accessport, does it make a difference? or am I better off doing a full exhaust replacement since I want to change the downpipe anyways?

thanks,
    andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 2014 wrx sedan with the short throw shifter. Here is some info that I have gathered.

- The upgrade from stock exhaust to SPT exhaust on a hatch is greater than on a sedan as far as sound is concerned. You won't yield any perceivable performance gains from a catback exhaust.

- The SPT short throw is just that. A shorter throw, not a shorter shift lever. If you want both you should consider an aftermarket like the kartboy or cobb adjustable. I'm satisfied with the SPT option and don't feel a need to reach for a shorter shift lever.

- The COBB AP can offer you a lot of options but I feel if you plan on modding that a professional tune will be a better option. Also, if you care for your warranty I would be cautious entering this realm. I feel it's best to leave well enough alone. I don't have personal experience with the AP but you can find a plethora of info on YouTube alone.

Hope this helps.

PS: are you choosing all these mods for the sake of modding or are you truly dissatisfied with the factory performance of this vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Docc99 View Post
    I have a 2014 wrx sedan with the short throw shifter. Here is some info that I have gathered.

- The upgrade from stock exhaust to SPT exhaust on a hatch is greater than on a sedan as far as sound is concerned. You won't yield any perceivable performance gains from a catback exhaust.

- The SPT short throw is just that. A shorter throw, not a shorter shift lever. If you want both you should consider an aftermarket like the kartboy or cobb adjustable. I'm satisfied with the SPT option and don't feel a need to reach for a shorter shift lever.

- The COBB AP can offer you a lot of options but I feel if you plan on modding that a professional tune will be a better option. Also, if you care for your warranty I would be cautious entering this realm. I feel it's best to leave well enough alone. I don't have personal experience with the AP but you can find a plethora of info on YouTube alone.

Hope this helps.

PS: are you choosing all these mods for the sake of modding or are you truly dissatisfied with the factory performance of this vehicle?
    Thanks for the info!
    My current car is an S4 and I want to build something that is faster and more fun. The clutch is something I do not like on the wrx. So I'll start with a short shifter and see long that keeps me satisfied. I would hate to do something that violates the warranty and then need to make a claim, but I also enjoy working on my car and reaping the benefits.
    Also, I previously owned a 2009 wrx and it was lacking a bit, not a whole lot, but some. Then again, I am a bit biased with the current S4 and the linear power a supercharger provides. So of course, before any mods would be done, I'd drive the wrx around a good amount and get back into the feel of a turbo car. Then with more research and talking to tuners, decide if I really want to mod the car.

Sounds like a plan. Get through the break in if you are buying new and tool around a little to see what exactly you want from the car. I won't reach the full potential of this car's stock power so I'm going to consider more handling modifications. Firm it up a bit.