brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, i have a brand new 2014 subaru wrx hatch and i have noticed after driving it there is ...

brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell?

Hey everyone, i have a brand new 2014 subaru wrx hatch and i have noticed after driving it there is a weird bruning smell after i turn the car off. I am under 100 miles still, and i wont lie... This is my first manual car and from 1st gear to rolling i am still getting the hang of it... Itll rock some times and sometimes i might release clutch to fast and stall... Is this whats causing the burning smell or is the coating everyone talks about? Suggestions are appreciated

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No way to tell remotely whether it's coating or clutch sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

it could be the clutch burninig. When I first bought my 13 wrx i had the spt catback installed and the exhaust would smell after shutting it off untill i broke in the exhaust then the smell went away. But you have a brand new car man if you have any ?s or concerns youu can bring it into the dealer and ask them. Thats why warrantys aree greattttt

another question... because i am learning and i am screwing up sometimes does this mean i am tearing the car apart? I know im a noob and im sorry i just dont want to hurt my dream car lol =[. Or will the first month of learning be okay lol.

I also have a new '14 WRX (just rolled over 1000 miles). I've been driving stick for 18 years. My car also has an odor of hot or scorched plastic after I park it in the garage. Actually I've noticed that this has now almost completely gone away, but it was strong enough for the first few hundred miles that I too wondered if something was wrong. I think it's probably a normal part of the break-in process for these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by shams42 View Post
    I also have a new '14 WRX (just rolled over 1000 miles). I've been driving stick for 18 years. My car also has an odor of hot or scorched plastic after I park it in the garage. Actually I've noticed that this has now almost completely gone away, but it was strong enough for the first few hundred miles that I too wondered if something was wrong. I think it's probably a normal part of the break-in process for these cars.
    thank u shams! ima take it to the dealer just to make sure ill let u know

yea def. hope everything turns out good!

I had the same clutch burning smell on my 2012 wrx...I was pretty worried. Went away around 1500 miles. Wrx clutch is tricky. Can't really find the catch point . Needs getting used to than any other car. Just mention to your dealer. Turn out to be the coating in my case. Clutch is still good at 20k

i had the same smell when i first test drove the car. it went away after about 300 miles after i got use to the clutch. i lowered the clutch height so the engagement point is lower, the shifts are much better now. The stock grab point sucks.

Interesting. I find it to have a quick release, compared to my friends Mazda Speed 3, and my Z. I did have a smell for the first couple of hundred, directly attributed to the exhaust burning off. That went away quick.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Compared to my SS/TC The WRX clutch is way nice, I smell burning plastic or oil sometimes when the car is idling. its got 400 miles on it as of today and I have checked the fluids, all seems good

Your car is new and that's just the smell of everything burning in. It will go away.

On the clutch, the pedal will stiffen up as time goes on and be much easier for you to drive.
    '14 SWP STI

I did not have a smell when I first got my '12 but roughly 3 months later I got a really strong bad burning smell. It turns out that a plastic bags got wrapped around my exhuast.
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

thank you all for answering, i really appreciate it. On the plus side i only stalled once today . Still cant drive with music on or the windows up but slowly getting there. Cant wait till i get good enough to put some power in my gas pedal lol... Loving the car its so smooth and fast lol.

Quote Originally Posted by risk7o2 View Post
    thank you all for answering, i really appreciate it. On the plus side i only stalled once today . Still cant drive with music on or the windows up but slowly getting there. Cant wait till i get good enough to put some power in my gas pedal lol... Loving the car its so smooth and fast lol.
    Practice, practice, practice. You'll get to the point where you won't even think about it. That's when you know you're there, natural extension of you and the car.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.