brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone. I just joined so I could drop in my two cents with my experience of the 2014 WRX ...

Hi everyone. I just joined so I could drop in my two cents with my experience of the 2014 WRX that I picked up this January.

The clutch definitely smelled a little during the first 500 miles. I didn't burn it but could smell it breaking in.

There was also the strange but familiar smell of fingerprints for about the first 1000 miles. I had a 91 eagle talon in the past and after doing some bigger engine work the car would give off the same smell. I kind of liked it in this case being my first new car ever purchased and having that freshly assembled smell.

Then, there started to be a smell of hot/burning plastic ever other drive or so. This was tough to track down. I noticed that the 2 connectors that are mounted to the top of the trans were on a mounting bracket but the connector closest to the turbo was not on the bracket. It was sitting about 4 inches closer to the turbo. I didn't see any signs of burning but was not comfortable with how close it was. After trying to get it on the bracket I realized that the tab on the bracket for the connector to mount to is too big. I questioned if all the 2014 WRX's were manufactured like this. To work around this I just unplugged the connector and reconnected it on the opposite side of the drivers side connector, pulling it away from the turbo. I haven't smelled burning plastic since and have put on another 2500 miles. Might be worth taking a look at.

I take my car in next week for its 3,750 service. I told them about the connector and they said they hadn't seen that before and will look into it when I get there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R3xL0v3 View Post
    Hi everyone. I just joined so I could drop in my two cents with my experience of the 2014 WRX that I picked up this January.

The clutch definitely smelled a little during the first 500 miles. I didn't burn it but could smell it breaking in.

There was also the strange but familiar smell of fingerprints for about the first 1000 miles. I had a 91 eagle talon in the past and after doing some bigger engine work the car would give off the same smell. I kind of liked it in this case being my first new car ever purchased and having that freshly assembled smell.

Then, there started to be a smell of hot/burning plastic ever other drive or so. This was tough to track down. I noticed that the 2 connectors that are mounted to the top of the trans were on a mounting bracket but the connector closest to the turbo was not on the bracket. It was sitting about 4 inches closer to the turbo. I didn't see any signs of burning but was not comfortable with how close it was. After trying to get it on the bracket I realized that the tab on the bracket for the connector to mount to is too big. I questioned if all the 2014 WRX's were manufactured like this. To work around this I just unplugged the connector and reconnected it on the opposite side of the drivers side connector, pulling it away from the turbo. I haven't smelled burning plastic since and have put on another 2500 miles. Might be worth taking a look at.

I take my car in next week for its 3,750 service. I told them about the connector and they said they hadn't seen that before and will look into it when I get there.
    Interesting.. I'm gonna have to look tomorrow at this! And I will let you know if mine is the same way.. I'm sitting at 133 miles right now.. So i'm still quite fresh! Also... I seem to be EATING gas... Are you eating gas as well!?

Or does anyone eat gas when it's new!? I know they are not a prius.. But hell.. I've put on 71 miles and i'm sitting in between 1/2 and 3/4...

Also Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkkInNj View Post
    Interesting.. I'm gonna have to look tomorrow at this! And I will let you know if mine is the same way.. I'm sitting at 133 miles right now.. So i'm still quite fresh! Also... I seem to be EATING gas... Are you eating gas as well!?

Or does anyone eat gas when it's new!? I know they are not a prius.. But hell.. I've put on 71 miles and i'm sitting in between 1/2 and 3/4...

Also Welcome!
    My gas was horrible at the beginning also but improved over time I also found to be using more gas on [I] mode than in [s#] mode

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MarkkInNj View Post

Also Welcome!
    For the first 1000 miles I would let the car warm up fully to operating temperature before driving it so I did not have very good gas mileage but don't think it was ever that low. This past weekend I did a 140 mile round trip up the mountains in Colorado and was not necessarily driving it economically. I burned a half a tank of gas. I am in the base model WRX so am not burning as much as an STI but it still loves to go through fuel. I can watch the gauge drop.

The thing about forced induction engines is... More air, more fuel, more power = bust out your wallet

I have a 2015 with a CVT and I noticed the same smell for about 200 miles. Also noticed my tires were extremely warm to the touch compared to other cars I have owned in the past (5 within the last 3 years alone). It hasn't been as hot these last few days and I'm not at 600 miles, yet have not smelled the odd odor in a while.

Also, I have never smelled that odor from a car in the past so I'll ask about it when I go to the dealer tomorrow.

Edit: I noticed worse gas mileage the first tank as well. I think they filled it up with the cheap crap instead of premium. That's the only explanation I have.

I can see dealers doing that.. But I smell it as well.. Just had the car running for a bit playing with it and getting a feel for where everything is and i still smelt it.. But I'm only at 145 now

Sent from my iPhone

Talked to the dealer and they said its the crap that is sprayed on the car before its shipped to prevent rust. It takes a while to burn off

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123