brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on brand new 2014 subaru wrx 100 miles, weird burning smell? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New cars like have a lot of new metal... as a protective coating the factory will put a small thin ...

New cars like have a lot of new metal... as a protective coating the factory will put a small thin coal of oil on certain parts. Maybe they put a little to much some where.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just got my first impreza which is my first manual car as well but mine has 80k kms on it and I've come to the conclusion that it was the clutch burning, but after a few days i got used to it and now theres no smell, try not to make your revs to high when your launching and it should be fine

I had the same thing on my 2014 Hatch. After a few hundred miles it all went away.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Same here... 2014 WRB Sedan... I only have 250 miles on it but get the same smell of plastic burning when I park it in the garage... I don't think it's anything to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by mv577 View Post
    Same here... 2014 WRB Sedan... I only have 250 miles on it but get the same smell of plastic burning when I park it in the garage... I don't think it's anything to worry about...
    It calmed down a bit, but i noticed it only comes out of the hoodscoop.

Take it slow, and don't worry about stalling. Some people get it better and faster than others, it's normal. I remember wanting to give up after my first month of driving a manual (I had a Corolla XRS 2012 at the time) and it was very difficult to find the engagement point. I kept stalling and was stressed out so bad especially when there was a huge truck behind me honking like crazy. I find the WRX so much easier to drive than the XRS.

Best advice I can give you is:
    1) In an empty parking lot, get the car rolling in 1st gear or reverse without gas.
    2) In an empty and flat parking lot, put into neutral and feel how the engine revs based on the amount of pressure you applied to throttle.
    3) When you stall, breath and don't panic.
    4) Treat people who honk behind you like idiots!! Everyone with a bit of car knowledge knows what a WRX is. You don't have to and nothing to prove anything on the streets and highways. Don't be hasty.

Everything will come to you over time, and driving MT will become second nature. Good luck~
    Midnight~

My 2013 rex definitely created some slightly worrying smells for the first 1000 or so miles. It gradually goes away over time. I'm at 4500 miles now, and it's gone completely. This is completely separate from roasted clutch smell. Burning clutch fluid has a very distinctive smell. The WRX clutch is definitely not the easiest out there. It has a long travel with a relatively small catch point. Here's a few tips:

- Rev early, not late. Give it some gas to get your RPMs in the 1800-2000 range. Then smoothly let out the clutch while lessening the amount of gas you're giving it.
    - The basic goal here is to match the RPM of your engine with the RPM of your transmission (over-simplified, but that's fine).
    - On flat surfaces, you really don't need that much gas to get her going. The steeper the hill, the more gas you'll need. In either case, remember: rev early, smooth clutch out.

Once you get the sweet spot down you won't have to worry about rev's, etc. When you don't have to think about it you're there. And it will happen !!!
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Same here, '14 Hatch, about 200 miles on it currently and its still burning some plastic/oil, whatever it is.
    '14 WRX

a burnt clutch is a really unique smell, but if you're unfamiliar with it then i suppose it'd be rough to determine.

i think it is almost certainly the engine just breaking in and the chemicals burning off, but if you're super worried about it, you can consider finding a friend who is really experienced with driving a manual transmission and have him/her drive the car for about 20 minutes. if the smell is still there, then it is almost certainly just the engine burning off chemicals and not your clutch.

even though the WRX clutch can be tricky, a good driver will figure it out well enough that he/she won't generate the burning clutch smell (especially if he/she isn't trying to drive crazy). having someone else drive your car to check a smell seems weird, but if you're worried enough then it isn't that big a deal.

Keep in mind, stalling won't kill your car. It's a main worry to new stickshift drivers. Don't stress about that, they're made tough!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieRex View Post
    Rev early, not late. Give it some gas to get your RPMs in the 1800-2000 range. Then smoothly let out the clutch while lessening the amount of gas you're giving it.
    That's certainly one school of thought. Another is to develop muscle memory and learn to balance between the release point of the clutch and giving it gas. Think teetertot. This minimizes the need to slip the clutch (and minimizes wear).

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Another is to develop muscle memory and learn to balance between the release point of the clutch and giving it gas. Think teetertot. This minimizes the need to slip the clutch (and minimizes wear).
    Thats how my dad told me to think about it when he was teaching me. The first day or two we went out I apparently made a comment along the lines of "why in gods name would ANYONE want to drive a manual." He loves giving me a hard time about that, especially since 14 years and 9 cars later I've still never owned an automatic.

Also, my 15 WRX still has a slight burning smell to it, even at 600 miles. This seems pretty typical to me, the car is still breaking in. Clutch burn is a MUCH stronger odor, and will linger more than the break in burn off smells.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Another is to develop muscle memory and learn to balance between the release point of the clutch and giving it gas. Think teetertot. This minimizes the need to slip the clutch (and minimizes wear).
    Thats how my dad told me to think about it when he was teaching me. The first day or two we went out I apparently made a comment along the lines of "why in gods name would ANYONE want to drive a manual?!" He loves giving me a hard time about that, especially since 14 years and 9 cars later I've still never owned an automatic.

Also, my 15 WRX still has a slight burning smell to it, even at 600 miles. This seems pretty typical to me, the car is still breaking in. Clutch burn is a MUCH stronger odor, and will linger more than the break in burn off smells.

Undercoating burn off evet car has it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast