The ice storm in the south can't stop the WRX!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on The ice storm in the south can't stop the WRX! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A WRX made the news tonight!...for 2 seconds haha. Thumbs up to the guy or gal chugging along through the ...

The ice storm in the south can't stop the WRX!

A WRX made the news tonight!...for 2 seconds haha. Thumbs up to the guy or gal chugging along through the snow!

By the way, anyone on here down in Atlanta? Looks like a nightmare down there...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ice storm? Rice Storm, Baby!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

may the scoop be with them!

but no seriously, hope everybody is doing somewhat ok. were used to it up here every year. but where it never snows, its a bane. cant really prepare for that crap!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure that guy would be on summer tires & be a risk to everyone around him.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Good call...forgot about those stock dunlops

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    may the scoop be with them!

but no seriously, hope everybody is doing somewhat ok. were used to it up here every year. but where it never snows, its a bane. cant really prepare for that crap!
    It didn't help that people didn't make a concious decision to stay home when they knew it was going to be bad. This shouldn't have stopped most people since a lot of people use all weather tires. It's just a combination of people who don't know how or aren't used to driving in these conditions and how rapidly the weather decended on the area.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I'm pretty sure that guy would be on summer tires & be a risk to everyone around him.
    Doesn't matter what tire you are running, ice is ice!
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    Doesn't matter what tire you are running, ice is ice!
    It does matter. He will get nowhere on summers. But he can still drive around on snow or studded snow tires.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The storm came pretty quick. I didn't even know it was coming and I usually watch the evening news. Didn't seem to be much of a big deal here though. Our road crews were on it by night time and today it was clear and dry pavement except for backroads. Schools closed today, most re-open tomorrow. Tomorrow it will warm up and it will be back to the normal winter weather, cold and cloudy.

Lots of people were sliding around yesterday, especially in such a hilly region. I just have all seasons and managed to make it around everywhere fine. AWD dosn't help you stop though. We see a couple inches a year if any at all. So it's kind of a big deal I guess.

End random blabbing.

On snow, ya tires matter but on ice it's a level playing field. haha
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

I took my WRX to the carowinds parking lot last night it was heaven, my car was in its natural habitat with Perelli All weather tires!!!!! So much fun drifting around the lot, although i was not very good at it lol. Still a blast and blowing past 4x4 pick up trucks also put a smile on my face
    2004 Subaru WRX SRR

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk Records View Post
    I took my WRX to the carowinds parking lot last night it was heaven, my car was in its natural habitat with Perelli All weather tires!!!!! So much fun drifting around the lot, although i was not very good at it lol. Still a blast and blowing past 4x4 pick up trucks also put a smile on my face
    Do you understand that trucks are terrible in the snow? lol Pickups are the WORSE vehicle you can drive in the snow. Unless you're smart and weigh the back end down. But people aren't usually that smart.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

My Ram can fish-tail on WET roads, let alone snow. It has a 4WD mode, that helps a bunch. If/when in 4WD it has no issues at all. Still, physics can not be defeated...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Do you understand that trucks are terrible in the snow? lol Pickups are the WORSE vehicle you can drive in the snow. Unless you're smart and weigh the back end down. But people aren't usually that smart.
    Are we talking about 2wd or 4wd trucks? 2wd you need weight, 4wd you are fine.
    '14 SWP STI

I Support ClubWRX
    There are many many things that contributed to the weather calamity here in the south this week.. But you have to understand that snow is pretty rare here. It's even more rare for it to snow during the middle of the day. It's more rare still for it to be so cold when it starts that it immediately starts to stick. Typically on those very rare occasions when the weather is icy or snowy and it accumulates, it only happens in the middle of the night.. Nobody is on the roads.. So people simply stay home and don't venture out..and the few municipal pieces of equipment available are able to get the critical stuff treated before people are moving around... Which most aren't anyway. Then.. it's gone in a few hours anyway because it doesn't stay below freezing during the day. No big deal.

Unfortunately, many people started their morning Tuesday thinking it would be the usual stuff that if seen, won't stick until night fall.. Some schools closed but some didn't (which cause everyone to worry even less) Many figured they will let the folks/kids out early if the picture changed etc. Then the situation evolved as people realized it would start earlier than originally they thought it would and become more immediately bad. When most realized it was going to be bad (seemingly at the same time) it was too late. Most of the governments, businesses and schools then all tried to let out early (noon-1pm) so the normal Atlanta horrible rush hour happened 4 hours early. And many got caught. Let us not forget that Atlanta is very near the mountains so we are not talking about pancake flat area here like Florida, it is very hilly as most mountainous areas are. Many exits off the interstates simply became immediately completely un-passably clogged because trucks/cars were stuck on untreated ramps and/or stuck on the untreated routes directly off the ramps. That caused the already clogged/grid locked interstates to become totally locked. They weren't crawling along, they just stood still. And the situation just continued to get worse. At that point it doesn't matter how great you can drive in snow, you can be a world champion rally driver with 4 wheel drive vehicle sporting snow tires and chains.... you were simply trapped. I've seen a similar type storm that caught everyone off guard once when I lived in CT. Weird storm in the middle of the day that caught people flat footed, caused a lot of problems and made commutes a mess. The big difference though is there simply isn't the infrastructure here to handle this stuff. It just doesn't really exist.

99 times out of a hundred when snow actually accumulates, it's in the middle of the night and is gone in a few hours or within a few hours of sun up. So either they have already closed schools/businessss or they simply open late. Plows are practically never needed in most places. This storm hit in the middle of the day (rare) catching many businesses and some schools in a super rush hour as they let out at the same time (more rare) and it was already below freezing in the middle of the day (more rare) and it stayed below freezing all the way through the whole next day (even more rare).

I see people wanting to poke fun at "those dumb southerners can't drive in the snow" and while I'm sure most in the south don't get the practice some others do, the big reason it was SO bad, is the infrastructure isn't in place to handle it. It's just not the same here. Up north the many many many millions of dollars needed to put in place and keep in place the infrastructure in each municipality is already baked in to the cake. Up north they would have had all the roads ramps etc treated before the first flake even fell. In places that see snow regularly snow is handled or the local politicians don't stay around long. If they every forget that fact it's not long before they are reminded.

In short, you simply can not compare what happen to somewhere else and assume its because everyone is so incapable of driving in snow. It's just not an valid comparison.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast