The ice storm in the south can't stop the WRX! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on The ice storm in the south can't stop the WRX! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; still funny that they made the news...

still funny that they made the news

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    On snow, ya tires matter but on ice it's a level playing field. haha
    That is so incorrect. Some tires are designed to work better on ice than snow, and those tires will not only stop more quickly but also resist breaking sideways in turns. Studded tires will be even better. With full-time AWD it makes sense to buy tires which perform better on ice as snow traction will never be a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Up north the many many many millions of dollars needed to put in place and keep in place the infrastructure in each municipality is already baked in to the cake. Up north they would have had all the roads ramps etc treated before the first flake even fell..
    True (that infrastructure makes a difference) - where I am the snow budget is not huge. There are days where we have a huge snow dump without any intervention or plowing, resulting in 200+ accidents and several stranded vehicles. That's in a place where winter starts by December and typically goes through until close to the end of March or later. Experience counts for something but there are always idiots, people with ill-equipped cars and some who just experience bad luck.

How many people run studded tires? Especially in the south? Even great snow tires do nothing on ice where there is no such thing as traction. When the roads are a sheet of ice, stay off of them.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

ya buddy getting ready for round two cant wait to play in the snow with the subaru its coming down good here in NC
    2004 Subaru WRX SRR

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    How many people run studded tires? Especially in the south? Even great snow tires do nothing on ice where there is no such thing as traction. When the roads are a sheet of ice, stay off of them.
    You implied that it doesn't matter what tires you have as none make a difference on ice, and I was simply correcting you as that statement is wrong. Tires can make a huge difference on ice in any location.

There are no such thing as "snow tires" - they are called winter tires, and how they behave is down to the materials and sipe patterns. Some are designed for better snow interaction by pushing out the material in the grooves, and others are designed to expel the thin surface of water on ice allowing better interaction with the surface below. Both are made from materials which keep them soft in sub zero temperature so that the sipes can retain their flexibility for their intended purpose. Both work better than all-season tires on both snow and ice, which generally start to harden below temperature of around 8C.

Let me explain the ice traction better for you. Think of a dry ice cube from your freezer - it's not slippery until you leave it out for a few moments. This is because the surface has started to melt and the water makes it slippery. In a vehicle the loss of friction is called hydro (or aqua) planing. Sipes which are specifically design to expel water allow the tire to contact the surface below (remember, it's the water which makes the ice slippery). These tires will give up a bit of snow ability in exchange for better ice control, although they will still exceed all seasons for both.

Don't get me wrong - driver caution is a must on ice - but with the correct equipment there is no need to stay off it. When I had my 08 WRX with an ice biased winter tire I never once had to stop driving because of icy surfaces. The critical point is to make sure your vehicle is prepared, and if you don't THEN stay off the ice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12