GoPro question

This is a discussion on GoPro question within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Posted this question on nasioc and it got closed before I got any good answers -___- lol. Like the title ...

GoPro question

Posted this question on nasioc and it got closed before I got any good answers -___- lol. Like the title says I have a question about the GoPro Hero 1. I have wanted to mess around with one for a while now and I know the hero 1 is a little outdated but I figured since I'm new to the recording and photography side of cars it could be a good starter. One of my friends is about to sell his hero 1 with a bunch of extras to buy a hero 3+. I am basically wondering if the Hero 1 is even worth getting used. Will it feel too outdated? What is a fair price for a used Hero 1 in good condition? Any extra input would be very helpful too
    2014 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unless the budget is REALLY tight I would not buy a Hero 1. Of course, if the price is really good it may be a good gateway into the action cam scene for you.
    2014 WR Blue Pearl WRX Limited Sedan

Is the Hero 1 he's selling SD or HD? If SD, don't bother. I would even look around for used Hero 2's. The prices should keep falling as more hero 3's flood the market.
    '14 SWP STI

Unless it's really cheap I wouldn't even bother with the hero 1. The new and newer ones have so many nice features that after you get the first one and you enjoy recording you will want the features the new one has or even the hero 2 has. Just my opinion. And I sold my hero 1 HD with the 32 sd card and all the extras for $50.

Thanks for the input guys. I think im leaning towards passing on the hero 1 since I know I'm the kind of person that hates having outdated technology. I think I might try to mess with my friends new Hero 3 and buy myself one as an early birthday gift lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I dunno, my Hero1 is fine. I never saw the need to upgrade to a Hero2, although we use Hero3+ Black Edition cams at work for lab tests, and those are pretty lustworthy.

What sort of things do you plan to use it for? I use my Hero1 for snorkeling, driving, riding bikes, skiing, etc, and it's produced excellent footage in all those cases. You can record 1080p in 30fps, or lower resolutions at higher framerates. The little LCD is much clunkier compared to the newer versions (you'll pretty much need the manual everytime you alter settings), but other than that, it's a great little cam. Unless you're doing time lapse photography and/or somehow require the ability to shoot 4K video, I think the Hero1 would serve you well, at least to see if you'll use it.

If you like it, upgrade in a year, if not, you haven't just wasted $400...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I want to try it out snowboarding, on my motorcycle, and of course some different car mounts. It would come with a bunch of attachments like the bacpac, helmet mounts, etc. Maybe I just need a simple pro-con list to what exactly I would be missing out on with a hero1 vs a hero 3. I have 0 experience when it comes to photography and taking video so I might not need the most up-to-date tech with this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hero1 Resolution options:
    *16:9 SD, 60fps
    *16:9 720p, 30 or 60fps
    *4:3 960p, 30fps
    *16:9 1080p, 30fps

Hero3+ Black Edition Resolutions:
    *HERO3+ Black Edition | Wi-Fi enabled | Most Advanced HD GoPro Ever

Hero1 has no built-in wifi. You can add the wifi bacpac to it and add some limited wifi features, but no live view on your phone, etc.
    Hero3+ has built-in wifi, and you can control all settings via a smartphone app, as well as a live viewfinder, playback stored clips, etc.

The audio on both sounds the same to me, although supposedly the Hero3+ has better audio processing. All camera mounts are cross-compatible across all GoPros. Any mount or attachment you buy for the Hero1 will work for the Hero3+ (BacPacs and cases excluded).

I'll say it again. Since you're just starting out and exploring the photography field, you do NOT need a Hero3+. Get the Hero1 for cheap, play around it, and if you find yourself using it a ton, upgrade in a year to the Hero4 or whatever comes next. If not, just enjoy the Hero1 on occasion, as it's still an excellent little camera. I don't feel the need to upgrade, since my GoPro is only used 5-6 times a year, and it works great for that.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks for all your help Rambo. I think you convinced me to grab this Hero 1 for cheap this weekend. I've been watching a bunch of videos taken by Hero 1's and they seem to still be very good quality. Definitely for a beginner.

I mean, i personally never used the Hero 1 so I couldn't tell you my personally thought on it.
    On the other hand, if you have the correct budget I would say go out and by the Hero 3. Works great for me!

Budget isn't so much the issue. I'm scared that if I go big and buy the Hero 3 it could end up sitting around unused if it doesn't interest me much. I'm kind of a cheapo with stuff that isn't a huge interest to me which means more money to spend on mods.

There is also the chance I get the Hero 1, love it, and sell it for a Hero 3 right away lol only one way to find out

You could do that, but you have to really think about it. I use my GoPro Hero 3 for numerous things.
    Home Videos, Snowboarding, Car Clips/ Car Vlogs.

If you don't think your going to use it much try out the H1 i guess. But I knew I was going to use to for things so I got the H3 Silver Edition.