Frame(unibody) Damage on 06 STi - WHat to do?

This is a discussion on Frame(unibody) Damage on 06 STi - WHat to do? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My parked STi was hit in the left rear corner a few weeks back. Seemed minor at the time so ...

Frame(unibody) Damage on 06 STi - WHat to do?

My parked STi was hit in the left rear corner a few weeks back. Seemed minor at the time so I didn't think much of it. Pic below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impact-small.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	133114

The impact hit the tire, which got pushed into the wheel well and passenger compartment. Anyways the bodyshop got into it and turns out the unibody is crumpled/twisted within the passenger compartment. Not a good thing. Pics below showing unibody and suspension damage.

Name:	Crumpled rear floor 2 - small.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	133106

Name:	crumpled rear floor-small.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	133130

Name:	Crumpled rear floor 2 -small.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	133122

Name:	suspension damage-small.jpg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	133138

This 06 hawkeye was incredibly hard to find (purchased in stock condition with 33k miles 2 years ago). Now up to 44k miles and still all stock. Finding another in like condition is going to be near impossible. The insurance adjuster has told me he will write this up however I like. Either totalling the STi (I expect about $28k retail) or to get it repaired on a Celette bench (approx $13k repair job).

I love this car but am torn on what to do and don't want to be stuck with a messed up car with frame damage that just isnt right. Anyone out there been in a similar position or work in unibody repair. I have researched this to no end but still don't know what to do. The adjuster needs an answer from me tomorrow.

What would you do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    What a shame!! The standard logical decision would seem to be to total it. Rip all the mods/valuable parts off of it if you can. But I'm not an expert.

Paging Drews!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is that $13k what the shop quoted?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Is that $13k what the shop quoted?
    That was just an approximation. The adjuster has yet to write it up as he is waiting on my decision. The only place in town that has a celette bench to do a proper job is the local shop that does the rick folks Bentleys & exotics.... so it isn't going to be cheap. The shop where the vehicle is currently at does not have a frame rack that can repair this so they have not quoted it out. Basically the impression I got from the adjuster is that the repair job is right on the borderline of totaling it, so he is going to let me choose. He will write it up based on my decision.

Not sure what it would cost to have a hack job done. I don't think I want to go down that road though (Totaling, buy back, then cheap fix).

I Support ClubWRX
    If I were in this situation I'd total it, buy it back and then strip for parts and get an RS shell to swap.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

That would be awesome. I highly doubt I would be able to convince my wife to go down this path... however. Out of curiosity however, how much do you think it would cost to pay someone to swap the Sti parts into an RS shell? I would never have time to do this on my own....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlocsrf View Post
    That would be awesome. I highly doubt I would be able to convince my wife to go down this path... however. Out of curiosity however, how much do you think it would cost to pay someone to swap the Sti parts into an RS shell? I would never have time to do this on my own....
    I don't know how much it would cost since I do all my own work. It depends on that shell you get too. You can swap the entire powertrain on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I don't know how much it would cost since I do all my own work. It depends on that shell you get too. You can swap the entire powertrain on a Saturday.
    Good to know, something to think about.

Regardless of what I do afterword it sounds like nobody recommends fixing this and that totaling it is the way to go.

Total it. You had it in perfect condition for two years. Unfortunately, it's time to move on.

If it were me, I'd look at something completely different or get a more modern WRX. At 28k, you're right at premium trim level and only 6-8k shy of a new STI.

Sorry about the bad news. Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to total it. The wife actually thinks doing a swap is a good potential idea so long as the buyback is reasonable. Let the research begin!

I posted the vehicle for sale here as well while I consider my options.