OK.... moment of truth........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on OK.... moment of truth........ within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Who is going to order a '15 WRX or STi? I'll start..... I most likely will order an STi unless ...

OK.... moment of truth........

Who is going to order a '15 WRX or STi?

I'll start..... I most likely will order an STi unless the reviews reveal that there isn't much noticeble difference between the two.....
    or that the WRX is actually better...... (which would be hard to believe)....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have to say I like how the STI looks better than the WRX for some reason. IDK why but I think the obnoxious giant wing works with the rest of the body. I also like how the STI still has the 2.5 and likely unequal length headers so there is still some boxer rumble. I do not like the fact that there is no more typical boxer noise on the WRX.

That being said, I'm hoping to be able to find a 2014 WRX when I'm going to buy around May this year. However, if there aren't any hatches to be found, I may be laying down an order for a 2015!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    I have to say I like how the STI looks better than the WRX for some reason. IDK why but I think the obnoxious giant wing works with the rest of the body. I also like how the STI still has the 2.5 and likely unequal length headers so there is still some boxer rumble. I do not like the fact that there is no more typical boxer noise on the WRX.

That being said, I'm hoping to be able to find a 2014 WRX when I'm going to buy around May this year. However, if there aren't any hatches to be found, I may be laying down an order for a 2015!
    I'm sure there will be plenty of dumb people who swap ELH to UELH to get their boxer rumble back.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    FA20 >>>>>> EJ257.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'm keeping my 09 for a while. I want a more aggressive look from the 4th gen first

New to forum. I do plan to buy a new STI in the next year. Need something more fun to drive that has 4 doors and a manual TRANS. Currently drive a 2010 altima 3.5

I'm content with my '12. However if i was in the market for a new car, I'd be in a rough spot because I'd have to choose between awd and a hatchback. After having an awd car with winter tires.. Going back to 2wd would be a tough sell.. And the overall usefulness of a hatchback isn't so much of a preference, but somewhat of a necessity for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    IMO it would not be a good idea to get the 2015 STI. Why would you want to get a car with an outdated engine?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I'm sure there will be plenty of dumb people who swap ELH to UELH to get their boxer rumble back.
    To be 100% honest, I'd be interested in seeing what the performance losses are for doing the reverse switch. But to play devil's advocate, does that make people dumb for not making the switch to ELH on their current rides?

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    IMO it would not be a good idea to get the 2015 STI. Why would you want to get a car with an outdated engine?
    The same reason why it is unlikely that you replace yourcomputer every year as it becomes outdated. Being a huge fan and former owner of a 4G63T... I would say the same reason why people bought Evo IX's in 2006 when the 4G63T has been on the streets since the late 80's. Or why people still swap in Ford 5.0's and LSX's into anything and everything. Sometimes you can't beat tried and true.

So you're saying the engine isn't worth it? I don't know subarus like you guys do but seems like people love the engines and the cars.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
    So you're saying the engine isn't worth it? I don't know subarus like you guys do but seems like people love the engines and the cars.
    We're saying that the EJ257 is based on a design that is 3 decades old. It's not a bad engine per se, but there are numerous enhancements the FA20 boasts over the EJ257:
    1. Direct Injection heads
    2. Twin-scroll and Equal-length header
    3. Timing Chain vs. Timing Belt
    4. Strengthened block
    5. Enhanced torque output
    6. Asymmetric rods allowing square engine geometry
    7. Turbocharger mounted under the engine -- decreasing distance between the heads and turbo

The FA20 iteration in the BRZ has shown the bottom end capable of ~450whp. Although the version in the WRX will likely boast milder cams, the FA20 should be considerably stronger than the EJ257.

Facebook me here

zax
    But to play devil's advocate, does that make people dumb for not making the switch to ELH on their current rides?
    In a sense it does: ELH is one of the few "perfect modifications" that only improves performance with no downsides.

The same reason why it is unlikely that you replace yourcomputer every year as it becomes outdated. Being a huge fan and former owner of a 4G63T... I would say the same reason why people bought Evo IX's in 2006 when the 4G63T has been on the streets since the late 80's. Or why people still swap in Ford 5.0's and LSX's into anything and everything. Sometimes you can't beat tried and true.
    I will not argue that the iron block is stronger in the 4G63, but you have to admit that the 4B11T is all-around a much better motor.

Facebook me here

To be 100% honest, I'd be interested in seeing what the performance losses are for doing the reverse switch. But to play devil's advocate, does that make people dumb for not making the switch to ELH on their current rides?
    Or... To play advocate to the devils advocate.. Does that make Subaru engineers dumb for using UELH in the first place?

I Support ClubWRX
    If I never see another 4G63 it'll be too soon. But that's another story.

The new Subaru motors do seem like a step in the right direction.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    In a sense it does: ELH is one of the few "perfect modifications" that only improves performance with no downsides.

I will not argue that the iron block is stronger in the 4G63, but you have to admit that the 4B11T is all-around a much better motor.
    I agree, it is an all around better package. I was just using that as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Or... To play advocate to the devils advocate.. Does that make Subaru engineers dumb for using UELH in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If I never see another 4G63 it'll be too soon. But that's another story.
    Everyone has one of these haha. Funny part is I never had any of the typical horror stories happen to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast