Clutch Quetion

This is a discussion on Clutch Quetion within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been out of the game for a little while on the account that I went and got married, ...

Clutch Quetion

I have been out of the game for a little while on the account that I went and got married, but I finally got myself a little extra money to throw at the car. I am gearing to go stage 2, I have a downpipe sitting in the living room ready to be installed and I am go be purchasing a catback and a protune in the next three weeks.
    I was curious if I am going to need a stronger clutch to handle the extra power? I have heard from a few people that the clutch will start slipping at stage 2 and wanted to see if you guys have experienced the same?
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The stock clutch should be sufficient for stage two. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it until it starts slipping. No point in replacing a clutch that works. But maybe set some money aside just in case.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll second that. If it's not slipping leave it alone. When it starts slipping consider a stock or equivalent (Exedy OEM) set.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The stock clutch can handle it...not for long though. They barely hold stock power and burn up quicker then they should (yes I know it all comes down to how you drive) but I think we can all admit the stock clutches go faster then most should.
    I say don't worry about it until it starts slipping but read up on different clutches and reviews. See how much power they can hold and see what others experiences have been with similar power and setups

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. Ill just set some money aside for a new clutch and see how much longer this clutch will last.

okay, so another question for you guys. How difficult is it to replace the clutch on these cars? Would it be something I would be able to do? The most daring thing I have ever done is replace a timing blet on a 06 WRX which actually was hard just time consuming.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's more of a pain than a timing belt and takes more time.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's more of a pain than a timing belt and takes more time.
    If you were in need of a clutch would you replace it yourself or take it somewhere?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXilie View Post
    If you were in need of a clutch would you replace it yourself or take it somewhere?
    Yes.

Depends on weather, my back, what's in the garage at the moment, whether I have time, and whether I have money. I could save $500 or so by DIY but it's a full weekend plus incidentals.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Yes.

Depends on weather, my back, what's in the garage at the moment, whether I have time, and whether I have money. I could save $500 or so by DIY but it's a full weekend plus incidentals.
    Well im here is So Cal so he weather is always nice, but I understand what you are saying,

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated

I Support ClubWRX
    OK good luck.

Whole transmission has to be dropped to do it...so if you have enough room/lift/stands that go that high/experience, etc. to do it, go for it.

Stage 2, you'll be fine on the stock clutch. Just don't go launching like nuts or slamming gears around...that kinda thing. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've done the clutch on three Subarus.. it's not difficult per say, but time consuming, and a little bit of a PITA. Personally, I would do it myself if I had the spare time. Have a buddy along to help you drink the beer.