Extended Warranty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Extended Warranty? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am interested in the forum's opinion on the value / need for purchasing a 7/100,000 additional warranty. It provides ...

Extended Warranty?

I am interested in the forum's opinion on the value / need for purchasing a 7/100,000 additional warranty. It provides a few other "perks" at the gold level (like towing and trip insurance).

Please be candid and share you opinions and experiences. Upgrading the warranty is well over $1,200 to do, but maybe some of you have been successful at negotiating a better price.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    do you plan on modifying your car in any way?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Warranty

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    do you plan on modifying your car in any way?
    Not really. Bought the WRX because it does what I need a car to do stock.

Maybe better sway bars, but I doubt even that. Besides, the dealership i purchased it through is relatively mod-friendly.

But in short, no-- I like the car for what it is, not what I can do to it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have typically found that if anything major is going to go wrong that would be covered by warranty, then I would see it happen long before the extension period for an extended warranty. That being said, I would see what exactly is covered under that warranty. Typically these are refundable too, so if you decide a year from now that you don't want the warranty (say the mod bug hits and you are replacing parts that would no longer be covered under warranty and you have done a compression test and are not worried about any major failures) you can typically get the money back for the plan. Again, that is something that you would want to verify with your particular dealer. The only time I ever had an extended warranty and it paid off was when I owned a chevy blazer. After about 80K miles the thing started to just fall apart (no offense any chevy fans out there).

I got the 7/100K warranty, you can negotiate the price as well. If you plan on keeping your car stock, it is not a bad coverage to have as it does buy you some piece of mind. However, if you plan on modding the car, I do not think it is bad unless your mods lead to an issue in which case, the warranty may not help.

From what I have read, these cars seem to hold up extremely well so, I would not say you "need" it but if you can afford it, the extra insurance certainly is a good thing.

Again, do not pay the price they first offer, make them take some money off or else I would not get the coverage. There are also two types, the third party which is more expensive and the Subaru which covers everything however, you have to use a Subaru dealership for repairs. Good luck!
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Cobb Stage I

And that's exactly what it is: insurance. They play the statistics game. It's making good money for them, but if the peace of mind is worth it for you, by all means take it. As long as you don't modify the car will hold up pretty well anyways... It's a gamble, but slanted towards the insurance.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I did but an extended warranty with my car. It is always good to have if you plan to keep stock. But the mod bug is hitting me a lot sooner than I expected so I am going to try and see if I can't get a hold of the servicer and get a prorated refund.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Didn't know you could stop the warranty and get it prorated. This is really good information, especially since I'm now learning I overpaid for my 7 yr/100,000.

I went with the 7yr/70k mile warranty. I paid $2000 for it. Sure, on reflection, I probably could have negotiated that down. But I don't care now, I'm just glad I have it. The only non-Subaru part I have is Cobb's AP. I simply don't have the time to work on my car, so knowing that anything major that goes wrong with it while I have it (I don't plan on keeping it longer than 5 years) will be taken care of by someone else gives me piece of mind.

My 5th gear synchro had to be replaced under warranty during the first year of ownership. A rental car is not covered under the manufacturer's first year warranty which, IMO, is a bloody cheek when it's a failing of their product. However, it was covered by the extended warranty I had paid for, so it's paid a little back to me already

if it happened on the first year of ownership, then the standard 3/36 would've covered it.

yeah i was one of the fools who signed up for the additional 5 year 60k mile extension for 600 bucks.

im at 67k now and the only thing that went wrong in those miles was a bad blinker bulb and a weak fuel door spring, both replaced under warranty at the 1k mile mark.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Just as an FYI for the Subaru specific 7/100K warranty, it was well below 1200. I do not recall the exact number but it was around 700 because I remember thinking that the cost was not too bad. I would say talk to them and see what their best price is before deciding.

Looking back, I would not have paid too much for the warranty considering the fact that these cars are reliable if taken care of properly.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Cobb Stage I

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    Didn't know you could stop the warranty and get it prorated. This is really good information, especially since I'm now learning I overpaid for my 7 yr/100,000.
    I think they are all different, you'd have to check with your specific warranty provider. That's what I'm doing.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

What's a warranty?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The extended warranty paid off huge on my F150. First time I had ever done it. But it was for power/drivetrain only. Little voice in my head said extra moving parts, things can break. Glad I listened ... to myself ... lol.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I went with the 7yr/70k mile warranty. I paid $2000 for it. Sure, on reflection, I probably could have negotiated that down. But I don't care now, I'm just glad I have it. The only non-Subaru part I have is Cobb's AP. I simply don't have the time to work on my car, so knowing that anything major that goes wrong with it while I have it (I don't plan on keeping it longer than 5 years) will be taken care of by someone else gives me piece of mind.

My 5th gear synchro had to be replaced under warranty during the first year of ownership. A rental car is not covered under the manufacturer's first year warranty which, IMO, is a bloody cheek when it's a failing of their product. However, it was covered by the extended warranty I had paid for, so it's paid a little back to me already
    Just remember that if you engine pops and they check your ECU, they can tell that it has been reflashed by the Cobb AP even after it's unmarried and they may deny the warranty claim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast