Extended Warranty? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Extended Warranty? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 13WRXhatch Just remember that if you engine pops and they check your ECU, they can tell that ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXhatch View Post
    Just remember that if you engine pops and they check your ECU, they can tell that it has been reflashed by the Cobb AP even after it's unmarried and they may deny the warranty claim.
    Right well that's only if they believe that is what caused said defective parts being claimed under the warranty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Just remember that if you engine pops and they check your ECU, they can tell that it has been reflashed by the Cobb AP even after it's unmarried and they may deny the warranty claim.

Or they can just skip all that and say the car was abused..

I've been reading arguments about this for ages now, but I've never seen a definitive answer as to whether it's true. It is, of course, a possibility I considered before I bought the AP, but...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Right well that's only if they believe that is what caused said defective parts being claimed under the warranty.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    The tendency of most any dealership is to find any reason to not honor a warranty claim, and if you crack a ringland or otherwise damage your engine and they realize that you have the AP chances are they will point the finger at the AP. Even if your dealership is "cool" about mods, Subaru generally sends out a rep to check things out when a warranty claim is for major repairs.

I Support ClubWRX
    The tendency of most any dealership is to find any reason to not honor a warranty claim, and if you crack a ringland or otherwise damage your engine and they realize that you have the AP chances are they will point the finger at the AP. Even if your dealership is "cool" about mods, Subaru generally sends out a rep to check things out when a warranty claim is for major repairs.
    Have you had a bad experience with this? I have never had that experience in 14 years of owning cars and bringing them to dealerships. I have been lucky maybe. But I also don't try and exercise my warranty if the part breaking is my fault, only if it is "defective," which is what the warranty is for. The warranty is not for insuring parts that we break being idiots.

Me personally depends on the person. If they come in huffing and puffing then I'll probably fill out a mod sheet report. Or in an unrelated job someone who has a massive system in the trunk complaining of rattles. You're damn sure I filled out a mod sheet for his car just because he was stupid. It depends on the tech to really make a stink about it.

As far as extended warranties go I had one for my Rs. Don't you know at 79k miles I needed a new short block. Had a big grove in the cylinder wall and some rings were jacked up consuming 3.5 quarts every 1k miles. Same happened to a friend only he had a rod knock. Being that I work at a dealer I see it pay off pretty much daily. I'd rather pay the cost of the warranty in my loan then pay that possible 5k for a short block after 60k or for any other issue. I'd spend that money every time too. I enjoy keeping my money in my pocket. If I have to spend a little bit to protect a larger portion of my money I'll do that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Never been a believer in extended warranties for anything. I research, buy a quality product, take proper care of it, with the thought that any repairs that I have to make will be less than all of the various warranties that I would have paid for for cars, computers, appliances, etc. For others, the peace of mind is worth it, and I can respect that.

All that said, when I was working out the financing for the BRZ, the guy claimed to have an incentive to provide the 70K warranty, and could take another point off of my finance charge. I basically pay less to have the warranty than if I hadn't gotten it..so I got it.
    Whether the finance guy was just full of it or not, well, who knows.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Ok, for those who are wondering about getting a refund on your extended warranties, just read your contract. I read mine and it is refundable on a monthly prorated basis once outside of 30 days after the purchase of the warranty. I have put a lot of thought into it and decided to dish out of my extended warranty. I will post later as to how it goes for those who would like to know. But here is how I see it and what my research has brought me to:
    An extended warranty is just another way for the dealership to squeeze some profit from you, as the dealer makes money from selling you someone's warranty services. Also an extended warranty is all about statistics, if buying an extended warranty was statistically in your favor then the company trying to sell you the warranty would not be in business. Extended warranties rarely pay for themselves. Now, don't get me wrong, if you are the kind of person that likes to have that extra insurance policy to make them feel better about something possibly going wrong then these are perfect for you. But otherwise, extended warranties are just a waste of money. I wish I would have been more informed about these going into buying my car and I would not have asked for one as that would have made my payments a bit less than what they are now. Even a worse point, for those who purchased an extended warranty and put it on their finance plan like I did, you are technically paying interest on your extended warranty...

So I hope that was helpful for some of the people who have been on the edge as to whether these are worth the money or not, like myself. I will be posting as to how my canceling of the warranty goes for those that wish to know.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post

So I hope that was helpful for some of the people who have been on the edge as to whether these are worth the money or not, like myself. I will be posting as to how my canceling of the warranty goes for those that wish to know.
    I agree (well said). They are an expensive crap-shoot for a reliable car. Especially when you roll them into a financed vehicle.

If you can afford them and they are "bumper to bumper," it's a luxury. I have won (and lost) with them. Always having driven a standard transmission, I find that the expensive wearables are (not surprisingly) never covered.

You CAN reduce the price of them by shopping around (e.g. Mastria Subaru in Massachusetts will give you a very competitive price without negotiations or haggling). Also, you can reduce the price of them by (no surprise) choosing a plan (aka "policy") with a deductible (higher the deductible, the lower the cost-- duh...).

Also, third parties are an option.

Cars are expensive to maintain and sh*t breaks. Usually the expensive things break after 100,000+ miles.
    Last edited by skimd; 02-10-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12