Fuelly mpg tracker

This is a discussion on Fuelly mpg tracker within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So one of the things I use to track vehicle performance, and potential issues is mpg. If it starts to ...

I Support ClubWRX

Fuelly mpg tracker

So one of the things I use to track vehicle performance, and potential issues is mpg. If it starts to fall off or is irregular, I start looking for issues. Usually I just fill up and calculate it, compare it in my head with the last one and move on. On the ST forums everyone uses www.fuelly.com. You input your fill up info, and it tracks your mpg over the life of the car. You can also compare your mpg versus others. Pretty neat, its free, and they give you a cool signature block image.

2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nifty!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar
    Stupid question.

What does the online application do better / differently that simply using an excel spreadsheet with a series of formulas to extract and present data?

I Support ClubWRX
    Neat.

I've used "Car Minder" on my phone in the past. It's a logbook app that has all the data charts of Fuelly, but also adds service logs and reminders. I still log maintenance in there, but the Outback's nav screen has all kinds of user-adjustable service reminders that you can set yourself, so I just use that. (The nav screen even has full scientific and unit converting calculators, lol). I like the social aspect of Fuelly, though, where I can compare my exact model to others around the world. It seems like my mileage is pretty much exactly average.
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Stupid question.

What does the online application do better / differently that simply using an excel spreadsheet with a series of formulas to extract and present data?
    Well, you don't have to create and maintain a spreadsheet, and you can compare with other owners as a baseline. It also is published data, so if there is lawsuit regarding mileage not meeting the advertised (which is increasingly common) it can be used to help in class-action compensation cases. I can tell you right now, that based on the FiST's on there, it looks like the advertised MPG ratings on the sticker were a bit ambitious by 2-3MPG.

Also when you go to sell the car, you can give the documentation to the new owner.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I just downloaded it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Also when you go to sell the car, you can give the documentation to the new owner.
    Yeah, that's part of why I've always religiously logged everything in the car. Although it didn't end up being very useful in the WRX, I had full logs with all tune revisions, dates, mileage, notes, all modifications, etc. Although the logs themselves weren't very useful, the attention to detail and good upkeep of car did add at least an extra $1k to my insurance check, according to the adjustment agent. He was very impressed with how well maintained the car was.

I really want to try this out on my wife's hybrid. I can't get her in the habit of doing it on her car. We actually the believe the EPA estimate is about 5mpg too LOW on her car, as it's rated for 41mpg combined, and we consistently see more than 46mpg in mixed driving. On long highway stretches, it's nudged past 60mpg when I run the calculations at the pump.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    So one of the things I use to track vehicle performance, and potential issues is mpg. If it starts to fall off or is irregular, I start looking for issues. Usually I just fill up and calculate it, compare it in my head with the last one and move on. On the ST forums everyone uses www.fuelly.com. You input your fill up info, and it tracks your mpg over the life of the car. You can also compare your mpg versus others. Pretty neat, its free, and they give you a cool signature block image.

Not surprisingly, every single person on the TDI forums has that icon in their sig.

I, surprisingly, am not registered on any of them, or with fuelly. I do use an app on my phone though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Neat.

I've used "Car Minder" on my phone in the past. It's a logbook app that has all the data charts of Fuelly, but also adds service logs and reminders. I still log maintenance in there, but the Outback's nav screen has all kinds of user-adjustable service reminders that you can set yourself, so I just use that. (The nav screen even has full scientific and unit converting calculators, lol). I like the social aspect of Fuelly, though, where I can compare my exact model to others around the world. It seems like my mileage is pretty much exactly average.
    Yeah Fuelly has the service reminder and maintenance log functionality as well.

I still keep a log book in my car with it all hand written down.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    This is great! Excellent find. Just signed up.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've had it in my signature for a couple of years now.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[